Would Dye have survived the internet

im4aual

I don't know... would his buy out had been 32.1 million dollars.... ???

Cause in all honesty, I believe that is the only way Gus will survive it....

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To answer the question.....no. 

Couple of points here...first, I don’t believe the Internet fires anyone in and of itself but is merely a reflection of what the fan base is feeling. 

Second, that was only Dye’s fourth season. So he had one mediocre season in his first in 81, a 9 win season in 82 in which he beat bama for the first time in a decade so the fan base would’ve been lit over that, 83 SEC Title and near NC, then back to back disappointing but not disastrous seasons that included bowl appearances in both in an era where that was still considered special. So yes there may have been some grumbling but it was also an era where Auburn was coming off a long drought of good football after Barfield so those seasons probably didn’t seem so bad. Remember that Dye kind of reset the bar for Auburn football. He would’ve survived and then cam 86-89 that solidified him as one of our greats. 

34 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

And don't forget the Wrong Way Bo call. All of us expected to live or die on that 4th down, with Bo. Although he had hurt that year, and Brent Fullwood had a very good year and had some good runs in that game too.

Even Bo thought he was going to run it on 4th. 

Had no problem going ahead with a bigger lead, and if not making it, we had them on the 1, and got the ball back.

But our FG kicker shanked it, left the team after that. 

Yep.  In it 'til the final seconds.  Couldn't fault Dye.   That kicker (McGinty) helped UF beat us 2 years later.

1 hour ago, steeleagle said:

And don't forget the Wrong Way Bo call. All of us expected to live or die on that 4th down, with Bo. Although he had hurt that year, and Brent Fullwood had a very good year and had some good runs in that game too.

Had no problem going ahead with a bigger lead, and if not making it, we had them on the 1, and got the ball back.

But our FG kicker shanked it, l eft the team after that. 

The kickers name  was Robert McGinty he transferred to Florida and had a hand in Florida's upset of unbeaten AU in '86.

38 minutes ago, OnthePlains said:

Couple of points here...first, I don’t believe the Internet fires anyone in and of itself but is merely a reflection of what the fan base is feeling. 

Second, that was only Dye’s fourth season. So he had one mediocre season in his first in 81, a 9 win season in 82 in which he beat bama for the first time in a decade so the fan base would’ve been lit over that, 83 SEC Title and near NC, then back to back disappointing but not disastrous seasons that included bowl appearances in both in an era where that was still considered special. So yes there may have been some grumbling but it was also an era where Auburn was coming off a long drought of good football after Barfield so those seasons probably didn’t seem so bad. Remember that Dye kind of reset the bar for Auburn football. He would’ve survived and then cam 86-89 that solidified him as one of our greats. 

Also keep in mind AU got jobbed in '83. We were #3 going into the bowl games; we barely beat Michigan, the two teams ahead of us lost (#1 Nebraska, #2 Texas), Miami the #5 team who beat #1 Nebraska jumped into the final #1 spot. While everyone was disappointed with the final poll, there was a mountain of optimism for the future.

2 hours ago, DAG said:

Too young for me to comment but I will say, the answers and responses seem to be consistent with the ideology of how people perspective is about Gus. The people normally pro gus has answered one way and the people anti gus has answered another.

Lol, at that age for me I was living with OU grads on one side and Nebraska grads on the other. Those cats were running up 10 plus win seasons every year. So 4 losses was HUGE!

Your damn right I would of ordered the firing of Pat Dye! With or without the net.

Hell probably mediocre now cause we didn't fire Dye.

7 minutes ago, Texan4Auburn said:

Lol, at that age for me I was living with OU grads on one side and Nebraska grads on the other. Those cats were running up 10 plus win seasons every year. So 4 losses was HUGE!

Your damn right I would of ordered the firing of Pat Dye! With or without the net.

Hell probably mediocre now cause we didn't fire Dye.

Time spent in that kind of hell twists a man.  Your opinion is tainted.

3 hours ago, triangletiger said:

If Alabama and Georgia were as average now as they were then, Gus wouldn't be catching as much heat.  (Not to say that I find the product he's put on the field acceptable).  Also, Dye's teams rarely looked unprepared.  They might have lost some games, but they were not going to roll over for anybody.

Gus has too many faults to count, but only rarely has our team rolled over and quit.

Can we count em up?

2014 against Georgia 

2015: against LSU, somewhat against Bama (hurt SW)

2016: Against Bama and Oklahoma (hurt SW again)

2017: We quit in tbe fourth quarter of the SECCG

2018: none so far

3 hours ago, AURealist said:

Nope.  ->  I disagree with your post.  

The question is whether Pat Dye would have survived if the internet were around in 1985.

Yes.  Pat Dye would have survived if the internet were around in 1985.

We all screamed at the play-calling (like always running for 1 yard up the middle on 2nd down and 1) and we dog-cussed him when he lost, but none of us wanted him fired.  That was my final year at Auburn and nobody was saying fire Pat Dye.

We got to the 1984 Sugar Bowl (1983 Season) within breathing distance of the NC and everything was set up for us to win it.  Nebraska was #1 and lost to #5 Miami when Osborne went for 2 and didn't make it in the Orange Bowl.  Texas was #2 and lost to  Thuga in the Cotton Bowl.  Bo Schembechler said we weren't going to beat them running the football and Dye was stubborn and kept trying to run #34.  Michigan had 8 and 9 in the box and Randy Campbell was not as bad a passer as everyone said he was, cause he lit up Boston College and Doug Flutie in the Tangerine Bowl.  Campbell could have thrown a few short passes over the line and loosened up the defense, but Coach Dye kept running.  We won 9-7 on a last second Al Del Grecco FG.  We should have beat them by 3 touchdowns.  Miami jumped over all of us and won the NC.  Cost us at least a split poll. That year we played 4 of the FINAL Top 10 and beat 3 of them.  He wouldn't have been fired, but the internet would have blown up.   Yeah.  He deserved dog-cussing.  In my mind that was one of the top 3 Auburn teams of all time and we finished third.

Dye had some gut wrenching losses but he had brought AU Football back from the dead after the Barfield Era. Stadium expansion, bringing Bama game to Auburn, none of these things happened if Dye hadn't brought toughness and some attitude to the AU program. While stubborn, he gave up his beloved wishbone offense and went to the I formation when it became obvious the wishbone's time had passed. He also brought some passing to his offense despite having a great love for pounding teams running the ball. I know it's easy to poke fun at him now(unfortunately), but he was a HUGE influence in bringing AU football to where it is today. 

3 minutes ago, CR said:

Dye had some gut wrenching losses but he had brought AU Football back from the dead after the Barfield Era. Stadium expansion, bringing Bama game to Auburn, none of these things happened if Dye hadn't brought toughness and some attitude to the AU program. While stubborn, he gave up his beloved wishbone offense and went to the I formation when it became obvious the wishbone's time had passed. He also brought some passing to his offense despite having a great love for pounding teams running the ball. I know it's easy to poke fun at him now(unfortunately), but he was a HUGE influence in bringing AU football to where it is today. 

Well said, context is everything. Expectations were different then. Dye set a new standard with his run during the eighties.

23 minutes ago, OnthePlains said:

Well said, context is everything. Expectations were different then. Dye set a new standard with his run during the eighties.

In other words, Dye is the reason we should fire Malzahn. We expect better.....atleast I do.

4 hours ago, saminbama said:

We got to the 1984 Sugar Bowl (1983 Season) within breathing distance of the NC and everything was set up for us to win it.  Nebraska was #1 and lost to #5 Miami when Osborne went for 2 and didn't make it in the Orange Bowl.  Texas was #2 and lost to  Thuga in the Cotton Bowl.  Bo Schembechler said we weren't going to beat them running the football and Dye was stubborn and kept trying to run #34.  Michigan had 8 and 9 in the box and Randy Campbell was not as bad a passer as everyone said he was, cause he lit up Boston College and Doug Flutie in the Tangerine Bowl.  Campbell could have thrown a few short passes over the line and loosened up the defense, but Coach Dye kept running.  We won 9-7 on a last second Al Del Grecco FG.  We should have beat them by 3 touchdowns.  Miami jumped over all of us and won the NC.  Cost us at least a split poll. That year we played 4 of the FINAL Top 10 and beat 3 of them.  He wouldn't have been fired, but the internet would have blown up.   Yeah.  He deserved dog-cussing.  In my mind that was one of the top 3 Auburn teams of all time and we finished third.

I was in the stands for that game against Michigan.  I kept wondering why they wouldn't really open up the wishbone that day.  Conservative, dull. boring, grind it out offense was the tale of the game. And Nebraska-Miami was thrilling. 

I do wish that when we opened against Miami the next season that Randy Campbell had been back. As an athlete Pat Washington had it all over Campbell. Eye test? No contest.  But I think Randy Campbell was the better wishbone QB and I'd have liked our chances in that opener.

21 hours ago, steeleagle said:

But our FG kicker shanked it, left the team after that. 

um if anyone ever bothered to read the autobiography of bo HE did not clearly hear the call and ran the wrong way. that was a bo mistake and not a dye mistake.

15 hours ago, OnthePlains said:

dye will always have my heart for basically forcing bama to come play at auburn. ray perkins and others said they would never ever play at auburn. they said it with disdain like we were not worthy enough of home and home games. and not only did dye force them to play us at home he made them choke on it when curry and company came calling the. the score might not reflect it but we whipped their ass in my opinion. hell even curry tried ........to me............to get out of it by raising hell in the media about all the death threats he got. anyway the rest is history and with a fair playing fiekd we held up pretty well agains the bummers........

3 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

dye will always have my heart for basically forcing bama to come play at auburn. ray perkins and others said they would never ever play at auburn. they said it with disdain like we were not worthy enough of home and home games. and not only did dye force them to play us at home he made them choke on it when curry and company came calling the. the score might not reflect it but we whipped their ass in my opinion. hell even curry tried ........to me............to get out of it by raising hell in the media about all the death threats he got. anyway the rest is history and with a fair playing fiekd we held up pretty well agains the bummers........

Exactly. Dye rejuvenated Auburn football and ended the ridiculous notion that it was ever fair to play bama in Bham. 

My son’s middle name is Patrick for a reason. 

Just now, OnthePlains said:

Exactly. Dye rejuvenated Auburn football and ended the ridiculous notion that it was ever fair to play bama in Bham. 

My son’s middle name is Patrick for a reason. 

awesome! i met dye at a talk he gave. my step father was dying of agent orange  lung cancer. we called auburn after supper on a weeknight the next morning by ten o clock he received  package from coach dye with an autographed ball cap and other goodies. and he even had his famous saying in a hand written letter that " tough times never last but tough people do. i shook dyes hand at the meet and great and gave him a case pocket knife. i will have mad love for dye until i pass. he proved to the turd nation and  the world we were not second class citizens in the football world.

36 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

awesome! i met dye at a talk he gave. my step father was dying of agent orange  lung cancer. we called auburn after supper on a weeknight the next morning by ten o clock he received  package from coach dye with an autographed ball cap and other goodies. and he even had his famous saying in a hand written letter that " tough times never last but tough people do. i shook dyes hand at the meet and great and gave him a case pocket knife. i will have mad love for dye until i pass. he proved to the turd nation and  the world we were not second class citizens in the football world.

That’s awesome! I met him once as a kid at a book signing. I still have his book “In the Arena” and I love the dedication in the front where it says Auburn Football...Run the ball, play defense and knock the hell outta folks...

Why would Dye have not survived a four loss season? Malzahn lost four games last year and we gave him eleventy billion dollars and practically renamed the stadium after him.

Our record this year is tracking more closely to 1992, a year in which everyone DID want Dye gone, and the next year we had a new coach. Of course, there was a lot else that went into that.

On 10/23/2018 at 10:27 AM, AUwent said:

He would’ve been on the hot seat entering 1986, no doubt. But neither of those two seasons were as bad as 2015 or 2018, more on the level of 2014 and 2016.

We went 8-5 in 2014... If we win TAMU, Liberty, and a bowl game, we will have matched that win percentage. I’m not sure you can statistically separate this year from 2014 yet.

1 hour ago, OnthePlains said:

That’s awesome! I met him once as a kid at a book signing. I still have his book “In the Arena” and I love the dedication in the front where it says Auburn Football...Run the ball, play defense and knock the hell outta folks...

i want to read his new book but it is pricey. i have been looking on amazon for a decent price used one. well kinda new   lol.

You have hit on a very interesting topic. I think he would have survived and actually thrived in the situation. Dye learned from his mistakes, and guided the football team to a higher level of success over several seasons past 1984 & 85. I would love nothing more than for Gus to guide this team to a higher level of success than what he has produced so far this season.

It sounded like he actually figured things out and translated it into a solid win over of OM. There are still serious issues that need to be corrected in order to have wins against TAMU, UGA & Bammer (Liberty as well). Finishing 7-5 or even 8-4 would demonstrate a learning curve for Gus that has eluded him far too many times this season, as well as times in past seasons. I would not be too surprised to see him coach his best the rest of the season knowing that he is very much under the microscope for the remainder of this season into the 2019 season.

I think Gus in the back of his mind knows what he must do to be successful on a higher level than where he currently is. I think he is capable of producing a better product on the field if he could only work past his stubborn disposition. He seems to coach better when his back is up against the wall. I hope his back stays up against the wall at a much higher level than in the past and hopefully parlay this into far more wins than loses. Gus is very difficult to figure out at times of which most of you will agree. I think the pressure is very much there, and he will be coaching for his job game by game into the 2019 season. If Gus can get the heck out of his own way, we could see more consistent wins beyond the level of his win/lose ratio.

I am not holding my breath in that I think he has some major self produced obstacles that he must overcome in order to be an elite coach. Time will tell the story of Gus!

Archived