Brown Liquor Time

fredst

On 12/13/2021 at 8:32 AM, ShocksMyBrain said:

Once again, back to Blanton’s…people actually hoard it without ever trying it. Blows my mind that people treat it like a unicorn. 

I did score some of the Gold in Scotland a couple of years ago. Blanton at ~102pr is good whiskey. The standard isn’t bad but for the cost and effort there are definitely *much* better options. If it was still readily available at $40 I would still be buying that stuff up I have to admit

• Like 1

Okay. I had to have a pour after the discussion and a successful ENSD. The Blanton’s gold with homemade shortbread holiday cookie is pretty damn good

5A1D5523-BF9E-453E-A545-45ECF622995B.jpeg

• Love 2

Followed @McLoofusexample and pursued retail therapy for my own benefit today. Decided to go single malt Scot whisky-got the Oban “Distillers Select”, 2017 version. Have not yet tried. If anybody has tasting notes, pass along

• Love 1

2 minutes ago, fredst said:

Followed @McLoofusexample and pursued retail therapy for my own benefit today. Decided to go single malt Scot whisky-got the Oban “Distillers Select”, 2017 version. Have not yet tried. If anybody has tasting notes, pass along

No notes on that one but you had me at Oban.

Proper spelling of whisky noted!

• Like 1

My spot finally got Sazerac Rye back in. Grabbed the last 2 bottles on the shelf at $29.99 per. Been two years since they had it in, and I've only seen it at one other place in the area since. The dude asked $99 for it. I laughed at him as I walked out without another word. 

Saz isn't worth much more than MSRP but it's damned sure worth $29.99 and I was glad to find it. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Picked this up at a bottle shop in MS a few weeks ago. Not bad.

60F263ED-C1C2-4793-98C1-F1CD5FDF1A3C.jpeg

His character on Boardwalk Empire is solid.

The Remus Repeal is big on the bourbon nerd circuit right now. But 94 proof for the standard expression is nice! Affordable?

PS- "Non chill filtered" I have no idea what any of those designations mean

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

His character on Boardwalk Empire is solid.

The Remus Repeal is big on the bourbon nerd circuit right now. But 94 proof for the standard expression is nice! Affordable?

PS- "Non chill filtered" I have no idea what any of those designations mean

Very much affordable. In the $30 range. Has a nice sweetness to it. Had it with a filet and baked potato the other night. 

I went full trust mode with the guy at the shop. I figured if I didn’t like it neat, I could always do other things with it. I need to try it with ice to get a full appreciation of it.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Very much affordable. In the $30 range. Has a nice sweetness to it. Had it with a filet and baked potato the other night. 

I went full trust mode with the guy at the shop. I figured if I didn’t like it neat, I could always do other things with it. I need to try it with ice to get a full appreciation of it.

I like sweet bourbon. Because I'm a sweet guy.

I've finally found a 100% all the time go-to spot and I don't mind whiffing on a bottle on occasion. They've earned that from me. 

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I like sweet bourbon. Because I'm a sweet guy.

😐

This 100% sounds like something I would say, lol.

Edited by fredst
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Picked this up at a bottle shop in MS a few weeks ago. Not bad.

60F263ED-C1C2-4793-98C1-F1CD5FDF1A3C.jpeg

Have not seen that one. Will keep my eye out. That’s one reason I like wheated bourbon, they tend to have that soft sweetness; putting a higher proof point on it (like barrel-proof/cask strength Larceny or Makers) is even better IMO because it sometimes tastes watered down to me  at the lower proofs. Chill filtering tends to remove some residue and makes a whisk(e)y clearer but also removes stuff that give it the more robust mouth feel- I like the “non chill filter” technique. Nice to find retailers that don’t gouge and will do you a solid recommending stuff- wish I could find one in my neck of the woods

• Like 3

A little more retail therapy for fredst today. Have to admit I am not familiar with this Highland single malt but it is delicious. Very accessible and, better yet in this market, very affordable. Almost bourbon like but not as sweet. Recommend….

BE4FF5EB-F09D-4BE6-9BB2-FCA5C99BE88B.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, fredst said:

A little more retail therapy for fredst today. Have to admit I am not familiar with this Highland single malt but it is delicious. Very accessible and, better yet in this market, very affordable. Almost bourbon like but not as sweet. Recommend….

Also a fan. Have that bottle in my cabinet. Have tried a couple of their other expressions & have enjoyed them all.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

10 hours ago, fredst said:

8 hours ago, marsbold said:

Also a fan. Have that bottle in my cabinet. Have tried a couple of their other expressions & have enjoyed them all.

See. This is why I love this place. Or one reason, anyway. This is a bottle I 100% would never have just bought on a whim, but your description makes it sound like something I really, really need to grab. Thanks for the heads up!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Russell’s 13 is probably one of the best bourbons I’ve had in the last 5 years. The hype is totally real. 

I was wondering what on that top shelf besides Pappy and OF BB were crazy to have as "public bottles". Guessing that's a pretty special Michter's, too.

Oh lord, I just saw the Weller lineup.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

I was wondering what on that top shelf besides Pappy and OF BB were crazy to have as "public bottles". Guessing that's a pretty special Michter's, too.

Oh lord, I just saw the Weller lineup.

I think the Michter’s is the barrel proof rye. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Love coming over to this dudes house. These are just the public bottles. 

vPfx3c1.jpg

I need better friends.

Bottles that will never be on my public shelf....and that I'll likely never own: EH Taylor 4 grain, any Pappy, OF Birthday, Weller SiB & CYPB. Probably more, just can't identify all the bottles. Generous guy to be sharing all those.

36 minutes ago, marsbold said:

I need better friends.

Bottles that will never be on my public shelf....and that I'll likely never own: EH Taylor 4 grain, any Pappy, OF Birthday, Weller SiB & CYPB. Probably more, just can't identify all the bottles. Generous guy to be sharing all those.

Start working at a small bottle shop, you’ll gain access immediately. 

I bought some Baker’s 7 this weekend. It’s Booker’s little brother and from the Beam family. Quite spicy in my opinion. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, aubearcat said:

I bought some Baker’s 7 this weekend. It’s Booker’s little brother and from the Beam family. Quite spicy in my opinion. 

Funny, I grabbed some Bookers and am waiting to open it. But I remember both of them running hot last I tried them. 

56 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Funny, I grabbed some Bookers and am waiting to open it. But I remember both of them running hot last I tried them. 

For sure. I also had some Whistle Pig. It seemed to have more of the sweet type flavor you’d mentioned. 

• Like 1

On 1/4/2022 at 9:50 AM, aubearcat said:

I love Baker’s personally. Have always thought that it was the seriously underrated of the Beam “special” series (along with Knob, Basil Hayden, Bookers). They’ve tried to give it some distinction by aesthetically giving it a nice bottle and also changing it to a single barrel product. Easy to dismiss some of the stuff from the big name places but Baker 7, Baker 13, Knob 12, and any Bookers are all really good depending on the proof point you might want (Bookers has been a little inconsistent the last year or two imo)

• Like 1

On 1/4/2022 at 10:17 AM, McLoofus said:

Love just about every Bookers I’ve had (different release each quarter). They tend to run 120-130 (have two right now that are each 124)

• Like 2