2018 All-SEC Team - D Davis & D Brown

Auburn Kev

No real difference in talent levels????  UGA has 7 on 1st/2nd Team and bammer has 8 on 1st/2nd Team.  We have 2 on 1st/2nd Team.  The talent difference and physical development difference is real.  We get farther behind each year. 

Deshaun deserves this so much.  He has worked and played his rear end off.  Congrats!!!!

15 minutes ago, Hooverwareagle said:

No real difference in talent levels????  UGA has 7 on 1st/2nd Team and bammer has 8 on 1st/2nd Team.  We have 2 on 1st/2nd Team.  The talent difference and physical development difference is real.  We get farther behind each year. 

Deshaun deserves this so much.  He has worked and played his rear end off.  Congrats!!!!

I truly think the Jeremy Johnson debacle screwed Gus's reputation with recruits really, really badly. Think about it--last year we were carried by Kerryon, Jeff Holland, Deshaun and Carlton, all recruited before the 2015 season.

This is akin to the Heisman race - "winning" teams get more of their players on there than not. But the really good players get noticed more often on the All-SEC teams than the other high profile selections, so this is nice.

Deshaun definitely deserves it. I hope some NFL teams take a chance on him. He'll earn a spot if they'll give him the opportunity.

Article with comments from Davis & Brown

Deshaun Davis, Derrick Brown Voted To AP All-SEC Team

ByJASON CALDWELL 

8704763.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offs

Auburn's Derrick Brown and Deshaun Davis were honored by the AP. (Photo: Adam Sparks, Inside the Auburn Tigers/AUTigers.com, Scout.com)

Auburn, Ala.--Two of Auburn's most consistent players during the 2017 season, senior linebacker Deshaun Davis and junior defensive tackle Derrick Brown were honored by the Associated Press on Monday by being named to the All-SEC teams. Davis was named to the first team with Brown on the second team, the only two Tigers to be included.

Auburn's leading tackler the last two seasons, Davis was in on 107 stops this season and also added two and a half sacks and led the team with 14 1/2 tackles for a loss. One of the team leaders as well, Davis said getting to the century mark was something he aimed for before the year and he's happy to have reached that plateau.

"That was one of my goals coming into the year," Davis said. "I get to scratch that one off the list. I have a few more that are still realistic for me to complete. Just knowing my story, man, because a lot of people didn't think I could be a guy like this. A lot of people didn't think I could be a 100-tackle SEC linebacker. A lot of people didn't take chances on me. Still to this day, people still talk down about me because I'm an undersized linebacker. But I just use that as a chip. I go out each and every Saturday to prove that I'm one of the best linebackers in the country, and I'm going to continue to prove that."

A disruptive force in the middle of the Auburn defense, Brown made 45 tackles while adding three and a half sacks and nine and a half tackles for a loss. Also second on the team with five quarterback pressures, Brown said following the loss to Alabama that he plans to play in the bowl game, but the big junior has a decision to make regarding his future. Expected to be a potential first round selection in the NFL Draft, Brown said his only focus is on being better on defense than they were against Alabama.

“Just get back to work," Brown said of what's on his mind. "We’re not going to sit here and change our ways just because something happened. We’re going to go back to work and we’re going to improve on what we do.”

8 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

This is why you save Twill at all costs @GwillMac6

#freeTwillhedeservesbetter #mancrush #beast #datdude

18 hours ago, Hooverwareagle said:

Yes it's a big difference. The difference in points on the 247 Composite last year between us and UGA was the same as between us and Vanderbilt. The talent gap is most definitely real. College football starts and ends with recruiting. 

4 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Yes it's a big difference. The difference in points on the 247 Composite last year between us and UGA was the same as between us and Vanderbilt. The talent gap is most definitely real. College football starts and ends with recruiting. 

Go back as far as you want to but we have never been  able to regularly recruit to the level of bama or Georgia (among others) and our best success on the field has come when we had a few superstar players....all the way back to Sullivan and Beasley.....and further.  AU has mostly overachieve d based on talent. JMO

7 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Go back as far as you want to but we have never been  able to regularly recruit to the level of bama or Georgia (among others) and our best success on the field has come when we had a few superstar players....all the way back to Sullivan and Beasley.....and further.  AU has mostly overachieve d based on talent. JMO

Maybe that is true for the program over the span of its history, but we've been a consistent top 10 recruiting program over the past 8-10 years. We may have overachieved once or twice during that span but considering our talent level, I would argue that we have mostly underachieved as a program.

18 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Maybe that is true for the program over the span of its history, but we've been a consistent top 10 recruiting program over the past 8-10 years. We may have overachieved once or twice during that span but considering our talent level, I would argue that we have mostly underachieved as a program.

Top ten recruiting is good but we are still typically 4th or 5th in the conference each year so every year we play two, three or four more talented teams.....and half of the time on their home field. 

Now if we were recruiting in the top 10 nationally and playing in the Pac or Big 12 or something, that talent situation would look pretty good and likely the W-L records would look good too. 

Losing to teams with inferior talent is a BAD thing...but on the other hand, like last season, beating two more talented teams is a definite over-achievement.  It's losing games when we are in position to win that is painful.....like UGA has done twice against Bama recently.  Gotta win the games you are in position to win. 

My beef lately is that other than almost the fluke with A and M....I can't recall when we last came from behind to win a game in the last 5 or 10 minutes.  That's how teams and QBs make their reputation. 

Archived