All Star Games Thread

ellitor

Nix threw off his back foot a lot and didn’t step into his throws. Caused him to loft a few and take off any velocity. Had some nice throws though but that flat footed mess is definitely something he needs to work on. Pappoe should’ve pick sixed him on a really bad throw/decision. 

2 minutes ago, Gene Loblaw said:

Nix threw off his back foot a lot and didn’t step into his throws. Caused him to loft a few and take off any velocity. Had some nice throws though but that flat footed mess is definitely something he needs to work on. Pappoe should’ve pick sixed him on a really bad throw/decision. 

Dad coaching him?   But some good observations.   Speed on defense is gonna go up by a huge amount when he hits the AU campus and not gonna be able to get away with some of those throws.   Hoping Dillingham (or someone) is able to take him to the next level. 

I fairness to Bo they asked him to throw several low percentage passes on long balls. Didn’t help him get any easy passes to get a rhythm going.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, AU64 said:

Dad coaching him?   But some good observations.   Speed on defense is gonna go up by a huge amount when he hits the AU campus and not gonna be able to get away with some of those throws.   Hoping Dillingham (or someone) is able to take him to the next level. 

The first drive he looked like he was just trying to play catch and not actually playing in a game. I think as the intensity ramped up, he got more focused and threw the ball better. But he still definitely has a habit of leaving too much weight on that back foot. I liked the way he threw the ball on the run though. That was impressive

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Gene Loblaw said:

Still a High school quarterback. Plenty of potential.

• Like 1

That Ealy running back looked great! Ole Miss commit I think. Are we still after him @ellitor

Just now, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Have to say I didn't watch one second of the game. You can't take one thing you saw in that game and apply it to what's going to happen when these kids get on campus. 

If you are referring to my Ealy comment I was also looking at him being an Under Armour all star in baseball and football. Only 4 times that’s ever happened. I can’t recall how much mutual interest there was in him and Auburn though!

• Like 1

Just now, toddc said:

If you are referring to my Ealy comment I was also looking at him being an Under Armour all star in baseball and football. Only 4 times that’s ever happened. I can’t recall how much mutual interest there was in him and Auburn though!

No. Just stating that what happens this week is fun to watch and all but take it all with a grain of salt. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

No. Just stating that what happens this week is fun to watch and all but take it all with a grain of salt. 

I remember thinking that Kris Frost was going to be our best LB since Takeo Spikes after watching him in the all star game that year, lol.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

For the players other than Nix:

Pappoe had a really nice game last night. I didn't see the whole game, but watched up until the fourth quarter. He was in on a lot and looks to have elite closing speed. He could play for us next season. 

Didn't see Pickens except for one catch he made on the sideline. Also didn't notice Sheffield very much. 

Keiondre Jones looks like a heady lineman that knows a thing or two about playing guard. I didn't see him get beat. He may have at some point, but I tried to watch for when he was in the game and he looked solid. Really like him. 

Didn't see Derrick Hall much. was wondering if he was playing a whole lot. 

1 hour ago, fredst said:

I remember thinking that Kris Frost was going to be our best LB since Takeo Spikes after watching him in the all star game that year, lol.

He was a 5* IIRC. We had every reason to be excited about him. And it's possible that he could've flourished in the right situation. 

8 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

He was a 5* IIRC. We had every reason to be excited about him. And it's possible that he could've flourished in the right situation. 

He was so athletic but just wasn't physical enough. Great kid, just seemed to lack the mean streak that the great ones have (on the field at least).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fredst said:

He was so athletic but just wasn't physical enough. Great kid, just seemed to lack the mean streak that the great ones have (on the field at least).

Should have been a safety. Could make plays in open space and defend the pass well, but could not fill a gap correctly to save his life.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Should have been a safety. Could make plays in open space and defend the pass well, but could not fill a gap correctly to save his life.

He actually wanted to be a WR....which should have told us something about his potential as LB

• Like 1

4 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Have to say I didn't watch one second of the game. You can't take one thing you saw in that game and apply it to what's going to happen when these kids get on campus. 

I don't blame you.

Those uniforms were ugly as Hades.  

The few mins I watched they gave me a headache.

Is that really what appeals to these young people now?  Uni's that look like a kindergartner threw pastel chalk on them?

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, fredst said:

He actually wanted to be a WR....which should have told us something about his potential as LB

Karlos Dansby played WR in high school, but I don't know if there was ever talk of him playing there at Auburn.

5 hours ago, toddc said:

That Ealy running back looked great! Ole Miss commit I think. Are we still after him @ellitor

No. My guess is he bypasses college for pro baseball anyway. Very impressive youngster though.

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Karlos Dansby played WR in high school, but I don't know if there was ever talk of him playing there at Auburn.

This was Frost ESPN profile as a prospect. At times during his recruiting he alluded to playing WR but I don’t think we ever seriously considered him for that. Maybe why he was never the physical presence he could have been at LB....

Frost is a good looking prospect on the hoof that has played as a safety, wide receiver and hybrid linebacker close to the box and this is where we feel he is best suited at the next level. Is tall and rangy with good bulk and strength and the frame

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, fredst said:

This was Frost ESPN profile as a prospect. At times during his recruiting he alluded to playing WR but I don’t think we ever seriously considered him for that. Maybe why he was never the physical presence he could have been at LB....

Frost is a good looking prospect on the hoof that has played as a safety, wide receiver and hybrid linebacker close to the box and this is where we feel he is best suited at the next level. Is tall and rangy with good bulk and strength and the frame

And CEJ even had the star position. Whatever. He horse collared tf out of Johnny Douchebag and closed out one of the best wins of this decade. War Damn Wide Receivin' Frost!

• Love 4

On 1/3/2019 at 2:42 PM, Linayus said:

Man, all this has me excited for the future! Auburn could be GREAT on offense again if we shore up our o-line.

Also - I'm still peeved at all this recruiting nonsense based on size alone. Deshaun Davis played more like a 5 star than most 5 stars did. Size helps but not enough for me to say that OP is 4 stars versus 5 just because he didn't grow a little more. If the extra weight/inches slows him down and hinders his ability then I'd rather him stay where he's at.

Obviously, Auburn will beef him up a bit and condition him to play at that size, but his natural ability should outweigh (pun possibly intended) any negatives regarding his size.

@Linayus FWIW most of the rankings are based on pro potential, not college potential. Owen is still a 5* by ESPN, 247, & the composite FWIW. What Rivals is saying is at the size Owen has remained the past 3 or so years they don't project him to be a 1st round pick now as an LB when he goes pro. I don't agree with the sites making ranking heavily on pro potential but with that being the standard, it's a fair opinion of them to think he will not be a 1st round LB pick at his size.

Edited by ellitor
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/3/2019 at 6:36 PM, augolf1716 said:

Am I good or what................................

Or what.

• Haha 1