2019 Recruiting Thread

Zeek

12 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

Are we still recruiting a QB who's last name is Tate from Arizona or California?

Can't recruit him unless he decides to transfer which he has not made a decision on as of now.

Was browsing the rivals site to look at commits of the top schools.  bama, georgia and Clemson all following the same plan it seems.....national recruiting effort with players from 11 states to bama and Clemson and 10 states for Georgia.   

They are dipping into states all over the country...especially up north to pick up some 4* talent. 

Will we ever make a serous effort the recruit away from our region? 

6 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Was browsing the rivals site to look at commits of the top schools.  bama, georgia and Clemson all following the same plan it seems.....national recruiting effort with players from 11 states to bama and Clemson and 10 states for Georgia.   

They are dipping into states all over the country...especially up north to pick up some 4* talent. 

I just don’t think they we have to do this. If we recruit well in our core area of AL/GA/FL, dipping into MS and TN , with the occasional Braden Smith outlier we can compete at the highest levels. Those teams recruiting nationally with the current scholarship limits just opens up more prospects in that area. Unless we have a long run of sustained success to really make us a national brand I don’t think that would be a successful strategy for us.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, fredst said:

I just don’t think they we have to do this. If we recruit well in our core area of AL/GA/FL, dipping into MS and TN , with the occasional Braden Smith outlier we can compete at the highest levels. Those teams recruiting nationally with the current scholarship limits just opens up more prospects in that area. Unless we have a long run of sustained success to really make us a national brand I don’t think that would be a successful strategy for us.

Could be but there are only so many 4* and 5* athletes in our area some years are not that great.   When did Clemson become a national brand?   last two or three years? and same for Georgia.   Both are going  out of the region for a reason...    

We keep saying we need more talent....yet we are depending on whatever level of talent the regional schools turn out....only 4 recruits from the state this year. 

25 minutes ago, AU64 said:

We do make efforts to expand but to be successful in recruiting outside of your geographic area you have to win big consistently or consistently be in the playoff mix. Saban at Bama for example recruited within their Geographic area for the most part the first couple of years & didn't look to go national til they were in & won the National Title game. We have to be much more consistent on the field before we can hope to have real success outside of our region.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Need a dynamic recruiter as your head coach for that. All of those teams have the 3 best recruiting head coaches in the country with Urban retired. Gus is good at recruiting but is not great. Specifically at closing. We need to shore up some major weaknesses in regards to crutin on the offensive side of the coaching staff. Besides Porter and to a lesser extent Kodi we do not have good recruiters on that side of the ball. Hoping the new OC can be that.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, fredst said:

I just don’t think they we have to do this.

We don't have to but landing players from outside our region would be a natural benefit if we could get much more consistent on the field.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, fredst said:

Chiz did the best job I have ever seen of a AU football coach at crutin nationally. HE HAD the best crop of assistant coaches who were known for recruiting across the board I have ever seen at AU. If your Head Coach is not a relentless recruiter then your staff better be. It was a thing of beauty seeing Trooper and Luper, Thigpen, Jeff Grimes and even Tracy Rocker (who does not enjoy crutin but helped us close on Gabe Wright and other 4 stars) recruit during those days. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, ellitor said:

We don't have to but landing players from outside our region would be a natural benefit if we could get much more consistent on the field.

That’s why I said this:

Unless we have a long run of sustained success to really make us a national brand I don’t think that would be a successful strategy for us.

23 minutes ago, AU64 said:

there are only so many 4* and 5* athletes in our area some years are not that great.

When you're talk 4 & 5*s from Florida, Georgia & Alabama the numbers in terms of volume in our area is always great.

26 minutes ago, AU64 said:

When did Clemson become a national brand?

Started to when the first made the playoffs.

27 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Both are going  out of the region for a reason...    

Because high quality recruits outside their region are coming to them wanting to play for those schools because those schools have already proven they can get to the biggest stages. Those schools are going national as much as the kids outside of their area are going to them.

31 minutes ago, AU64 said:

We keep saying we need more talent....yet we are depending on whatever level of talent the regional schools turn out....only 4 recruits from the state this year. 

In state is not our only region. Georgia & Florida are in our region & there are a combined 100 or more 4*s or better from those states on a yearly basis.

Just now, fredst said:

That’s why I said this:

Unless we have a long run of sustained success to really make us a national brand I don’t think that would be a successful strategy for us.

I know. That why I "loved" 1 of your post. I had already typed & sent my reply when I got to that part.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Maybe but I  learned back in my working days ...if you don't make the sales call you ain't gonna make the sale.    Its about more than just winning regularly.   You must have people out meeting coaches, going to coaching conventions, etc, etc.   I know the recruiting leaders have lots of folks involved in their recruiting effort....and if we are just depending on Gus or a couple position coaches to make and maintain the contacts we are not gonna get beyond our 250 mile radius. 

FYI... in state of Georgia, of the top 30 players, in addition to Ga and AU....players are committed to Tennessee, Texas, TAMU, Michigan, Clemson, Notre Dame, Ohio State and FSU.    We are not just recruiting against Georgia in that state.  

5 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Chiz did the best job I have ever seen of a AU football coach at crutin nationally. HE HAD the best crop of assistant coaches who were known for recruiting across the board I have ever seen at AU. If your Head Coach is not a relentless recruiter then your staff better be. It was a thing of beauty seeing Trooper and Luper, Thigpen, Jeff Grimes and even Tracy Rocker (who does not enjoy crutin but helped us close on Gabe Wright and other 4 stars) recruit during those days. 

He also had a Natty in his pocket that helped A LOT.

10 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Paper success, high attrition

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, ellitor said:

He also had a Natty in his pocket that helped A LOT.

It was even impressive before that. The 2010 class before he had a Natty with Dyer, CAM, Trovon Reed,  Shon Coleman ,Jeffrey Whitaker, Corey Lemonier, LaDarius Owens etc was one of the highest rated Auburn classes in history. I think it is the highest in the star era when it comes to where we placed in the overall rankings. If not it is close to it. 

https://auburn.247sports.com/Season/2010-Football/Commits/

Edited by GwillMac6
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, ellitor said:

In state is not our only region. Georgia & Florida are in our region & there are a combined 100 or more 4*s or better from those states on a yearly basis

True but look how many out of region schools are signing players from those states......and it's not national brand schools....it's because schools are making the effort. 

AU is as much a national brand as most schools... been in playoff or championships more than Michigan or Tennessee or most other schools poaching in our backyard.    Not sure who our "recruiting coordinator" but there is work to be done.   JMO

Just now, au_bsci_04 said:

Paper success, high attrition

Hey I got a real high on those paper success!!!! In the moment it is really fun! lol

17 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Maybe but I  learned back in my working days ...if you don't make the sales call you ain't gonna make the sale.    Its about more than just winning regularly.   You must have people out meeting coaches, going to coaching conventions, etc, etc.   I know the recruiting leaders have lots of folks involved in their recruiting effort....and if we are just depending on Gus or a couple position coaches to make and maintain the contacts we are not gonna get beyond our 250 mile radius. 

College football Recruiting is different than a lot of other jobs. If you aren't winning big, making all those calls & connections outside of your region will not produce wins on the recruiting trail most of the time. In fact, the more it's done with a team that's not winning consistently the more you hurt yourself on trying to get the best talent available in your regional area. That's the same  point Fred made earlier.

Edited by ellitor

19 minutes ago, ellitor said:

College football Recruiting is different than a lot of other jobs. If you aren't winning big, making all those calls & connections outside of your region will not produce wins on the recruiting trail most of the time. In fact, the more it's done with a team that's not winning consistently the more you hurt yourself on trying to get the best talent available in your regional area. That's the same  point Fred made earlier.

JMO but y'all are under-estimating the AU brand name.    If you don't get out there and fight, you are just conceding to the top 5 schools that you will take the crumbs from under table.   

Edited by ellitor
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, GwillMac6 said:

It was even impressive before that. The 2010 class before he had a Natty with Dyer, CAM, Trovon Reed,  Shon Coleman ,Jeffrey Whitaker, Corey Lemonier, LaDarius Owens etc was one of the highest rated Auburn classes in history. I think it is the highest in the star era. If not it is close to it. 

https://auburn.247sports.com/Season/2010-Football/Commits/

All the ones mentioned are from from SEC states so I consider those wins in our region. Normally I don't consider wins from Texas as in our region but Cam is really from College Park, Georgia so he's in our region. My definition of outside our region is any state that doesn't have an SEC school plus Texas, Mizzou, Kentucky, & Arky if we did not have the Gus & Horton effect which we had when we got Dyer although not sure Gus was a factor as an OC.

• Haha 1

Just now, ellitor said:

All the ones mentioned are from from SEC states so I consider those wins in our region. Normally I don't consider wins from Texas as in our region but Cam is really from College Park, Georgia so he's in our region. My definition of outside our region is any state that doesn't have an SEC school plus Texas, Mizzou, Kentucky, & Arky if we did not have the Gus & Horton effect which we had when we got Dyer although not sure Gus was a factor as an OC.

LOL E I had already moved on. I was talking about how impressive this class was and was using this to illustrate a point of how good of a recruiting staff Chiz had. I had moved on from the national recruiting talk. I am leaving that in the hands of you and mr fred!!! I have the attention span of a doberman!!! lmao

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, fredst said:

I hope this is you on NSD:

26F78122-B5E8-466C-AC55-B7FBEB7A55AB.gif

MR FRED YOU JUST GET ME!!!!!! GOAT coming of age high school movie ever easily!!! WOOOO!!!!!!!!!! lmao

spicoli.gif