Trump’s Wall Reportedly a Gimmick Campaign Aides Came Up With So He’d Remember to Talk Immigration

homersapien

14 hours ago, alexava said:

I was hoping someone would bring that up. 

Trump, who had just received an honorary doctorate from the school, tells the class that they should "never, ever give up" on their aspirations — even if "a concrete wall" stands in their path.

"Don't give up. Don't allow it to happen," Trump remarked 15 years ago. "If there’s a concrete wall in front of you, go through it. Go over it. Go around it. But get to the other side of that wall."

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Not really.  And it ultimately became a symbol of failure.

As usual you are wrong.  Communism was defeated in the cold war.  The wall was not defeated.  

6 minutes ago, auburn41 said:

As usual you are wrong.  Communism was defeated in the cold war.  The wall was not defeated.  

You don't "defeat walls", you tear them down after the government that erected them was defeated.

And if you really don't think the Berlin wall was a symbol of failure, I don't know what to say.

From the moment the barbed wire first went up, the barrier was a monument to failure for the Soviet vision of a just society

https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2011/08/the-berlin-wall-the-symbolic-end-of-communisms-utopian-dream/243602/

39 minutes ago, homersapien said:
15 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

I have no problem with using physical barriers of an appropriate design in strategic locations as a part of a total package of border security - just as we do now. 

You would think reasonable and practical people could come up with a decent answer. Unfortunately DC seems to lack in reasoning and understanding. We have two sides that can not agree on the color of a blue sky and it did not all start with Trump.  

9 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

You would think reasonable and practical people could come up with a decent answer. Unfortunately DC seems to lack in reasoning and understanding. We have two sides that can not agree on the color of a blue sky and it did not all start with Trump.  

The problem is that Trump is neither reasonable or practical, much less honest.

It's not "DC".  That's evasion.

1 hour ago, homersapien said:

The problem is that Trump is neither reasonable or practical, much less honest.

It's not "DC".  That's evasion.

What a surprise coming from you. What problem today is not because of Trump? ......waiting on elle to call me a racist now. 

2 hours ago, homersapien said:

You don't "defeat walls", you tear them down after the government that erected them was defeated.

And if you really don't think the Berlin wall was a symbol of failure, I don't know what to say.

From the moment the barbed wire first went up, the barrier was a monument to failure for the Soviet vision of a just society

https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2011/08/the-berlin-wall-the-symbolic-end-of-communisms-utopian-dream/243602/

That was exactly my point in this whole stupid discussion.  The wall worked for it's intended purpose, but Communism was defeated.  Thanks for agreeing with me...that's the first time I can remember you getting something right!!!

17 hours ago, auburn41 said:

LOL, I’m typing this extra slowly so you can understand it.....I’m saying the US was anti-communist.  I don’t know how else to say it. If the Berlin Wall was a wall put there because the people of East Berlin had voted to build it, the US would not have an issue with it. That is what I’m saying. 

I'm still not getting it. You should probably hire someone to type it for you to make it more clear for me. I get that the US was anti-communist. But you havn't explained what they felt of the Berlin wall and not some hypothetical voted wall.

Or could it be I am just dicking around. Because to most individuals I've met, the Berlin Wall was a Communist construction and political move meaning if you were Anti-Communist then you would also be anti-Berlin wall. I have never had to separate the two. This includes conversations with military personnel stationed there during its standing.

1 hour ago, auburn41 said:

That was exactly my point in this whole stupid discussion.  The wall worked for it's intended purpose, but Communism was defeated.  Thanks for agreeing with me...that's the first time I can remember you getting something right!!!

The intended purpose of Trump's wall is to create a political issue that appeals to non-thinking folks like yourself.  It's a direct appeal to (unjustified) fear

It would cost hundreds of billions of dollars, create many issues with landowners and the environment and - most importantly - would not solve the actual problems with illegal immigration.   The "crisis" is a fraud based on lies.

Most areas that need enhanced barriers to illegal crossings can be effectively improved without the expense of large walls.

Trump's wall would be a monument to fear and xenophobia. For that alone it would be destined to be torn down.

Fortunately, it ain't gonna happen in the first place.

BTW, about 5,000 people escaped over/under the Berlin wall, even though the entire thing was manned and patrolled.

How does that translate to a 1,900+ mile wall, much of which goes through uninhabited areas?

1 hour ago, Texan4Auburn said:

I'm still not getting it. You should probably hire someone to type it for you to make it more clear for me. I get that the US was anti-communist. But you havn't explained what they felt of the Berlin wall and not some hypothetical voted wall.

Or could it be I am just dicking around. Because to most individuals I've met, the Berlin Wall was a Communist construction and political move meaning if you were Anti-Communist then you would also be anti-Berlin wall. I have never had to separate the two. This includes conversations with military personnel stationed there during its standing.

Here is my last try.  There is a 1700 mile wall in Morocco, there is a 700 mile wall in Israel, there is a wall around the Vatican (it may have open gates now but it was definitely erected to keep people out originally), there is a wall around the city of Melilla in Spain, the Great Wall of China, Mexico has a fence on its Southern border...I am sure there are others that I am missing.  If the US was anti-wall, why do you not hear from our government about these walls?  Because the US is not anti-wall.  The US was against the Berlin wall because it was a manifestation of the Communist leaders in Eastern Europe.  Does that make sense?  If not, I'm done, I tried!!!! 

By the way, I'm glad you had conversations with military personnel that were stationed there while it stood.  While I was never stationed in Germany, I was on active duty when the wall was torn down.  Does that mean you will view my opinion with the reverence you show those "military personnel?" 

25 minutes ago, auburn41 said:

Here is my last try.  There is a 1700 mile wall in Morocco, there is a 700 mile wall in Israel, there is a wall around the Vatican (it may have open gates now but it was definitely erected to keep people out originally), there is a wall around the city of Melilla in Spain, the Great Wall of China, Mexico has a fence on its Southern border...I am sure there are others that I am missing.  If the US was anti-wall, why do you not hear from our government about these walls?  Because the US is not anti-wall.  The US was against the Berlin wall because it was a manifestation of the Communist leaders in Eastern Europe.  Does that make sense?  If not, I'm done, I tried!!!! 

By the way, I'm glad you had conversations with military personnel that were stationed there while it stood.  While I was never stationed in Germany, I was on active duty when the wall was torn down.  Does that mean you will view my opinion with the reverence you show those "military personnel?" 

Lot of fluff.... .glad your done trying. You don't seem to be able to grasp that I was saying the same thing as you. You have just latched on like a dog with a bone that I used the phrase anti-wall while ignoring the previous phrases that tied it together in politics....ie Communism.

And no I want. Those guys were a hell of alot cooler than you. They also grapsed the concept of being against Communism also meant being against the Berlin wall.

If America was anti-wall then they would tear down the gated community I live in.

Enjoy your weekend.

6 hours ago, homersapien said:

I was hoping someone would bring that up. 

Trump, who had just received an honorary doctorate from the school, tells the class that they should "never, ever give up" on their aspirations — even if "a concrete wall" stands in their path.

"Don't give up. Don't allow it to happen," Trump remarked 15 years ago. "If there’s a concrete wall in front of you, go through it. Go over it. Go around it. But get to the other side of that wall."

With this guy there is a contradictory statement for EVERYTHNG he says.,

1 hour ago, Texan4Auburn said:

Lot of fluff.... .glad your done trying. You don't seem to be able to grasp that I was saying the same thing as you. You have just latched on like a dog with a bone that I used the phrase anti-wall while ignoring the previous phrases that tied it together in politics....ie Communism.

And no I want. Those guys were a hell of alot cooler than you. They also grapsed the concept of being against Communism also meant being against the Berlin wall.

If America was anti-wall then they would tear down the gated community I live in.

Enjoy your weekend.

Right, I’m the one that didn’t understand. Whatever. You are wrong to think anyone you have had conversations with is cooler than I am. That I can tell you!

11 minutes ago, auburn41 said:

Right, I’m the one that didn’t understand. Whatever. You are wrong to think anyone you have had conversations with is cooler than I am. That I can tell you!

So KGB of you.

4 hours ago, homersapien said:

The intended purpose of Trump's wall is to create a political issue that appeals to non-thinking folks like yourself.  It's a direct appeal to (unjustified) fear

BS.

First, it is not Trump's wall. It is a wall that has been discussed for years upon years upon years pre-Trump.

You know this, yet your brain won't allow you to admit it. Trump is simply trying to force the issue.

Just bring facts, not partisan speak and this would be much easier for you.

The wall is simply a piece of suggested enhancements to border security. Again you know this, but your bias won't allow you to state it. Right?

19 minutes ago, AUFAN78 said:

BS.

First, it is not Trump's wall. It is a wall that has been discussed for years upon years upon years pre-Trump.

You know this, yet your brain won't allow you to admit it. Trump is simply trying to force the issue.

Just bring facts, not partisan speak and this would be much easier for you.

The wall is simply a piece of suggested enhancements to border security. Again you know this, but your bias won't allow you to state it. Right?

That's certainly not how Trump is positioning it.

You are a fool - maybe at best, a useful idiot.

10 minutes ago, homersapien said:

That's certainly not how Trump is positioning it.

You are a fool - maybe at best, a useful idiot.

Wrong. As usual. Perhaps you should read the real proposal and not some partisan rag?

Just now, homersapien said:

What "proposal"?   Show me.

Telling. As if we didn't already know. :no:

1 minute ago, homersapien said:

A link will suffice.

Some valid research on your part will suffice.

6 minutes ago, homersapien said:

So, nothing.  :laugh:

So, you don't know what the current Republican proposal entails? Honest question.

4 hours ago, Texan4Auburn said:

So KGB of you.

Are you referring to the Soviet Committee for State Security?  Surely, you can't be serious....I know, don't call you Shirley, right?  That is a fine example of projection there Tex.  I'm getting the impression that you are all hat and no cattle.  Every post I make in this moronic thread makes my IQ drop 20 points.  That means I have 5 more posts before our IQ's are equal.  I will enjoy my weekend, thanks.

Archived