All Things 2019 QB Talk

countoff

7 hours ago, countoff said:

I think Gus has two talented QBs right now but I'm concerned we will lose the one that does not get named the starter.

If Bo wins the starting job then I could see Joey wanting to leave but don't know that he will. If Joey wins the job, he is the favorite per people close to the program, it's unlikely Bo will transfer for a year or 2.

• Replies 777
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i would not be shccked to see gus have special packages for joey or bo to keep the number two guy happy. and i believe it will be more than just the wildcat. one will start but i believe they both get some playing time because of how good those guys are. i believe malik never won enough trust from gus or he might have seen more playing time. but those are just my personal thoughts. it is certainly a good way to maybe keep the number two guy happy. i hope so.

15 minutes ago, CAReeves2010 said:

NM behind center gave the offense a rhythm that would've won more games with a better D. Rotating JJ in would've slowed the pace and taken away from the HUNH Gus was trying to run. 

I mean it was selective pace back then too. A concept someone suggested back then, since the defense didnt have the authority to substitute whenever the O did, was that you could bring Jeremy in for a whole drive against a particular look that was designed for NM. The 2 QB system idea was really just indulging in the potential the two had together, not truly an idea they should've entertained (long term anyway).

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

If Bo wins the starting job then I could see Joey wanting to leave but don't know that he will. If Joey wins the job, he is the favorite per people close to the program, it's unlikely Bo will transfer for a year or 2.

It'll be Joey.

I was excited for both QBs after the spring game. Both guys bring a lot to the table. I was so impressed with Nix and his maturity as well as accuracy. Gatewood has a year in the system and hopefully he can run the entire offense without being handcuffed by Gus. I like Gatewoods athleticism and he has a big arm. Both guys look the part. I want the best man to  start. If we have packages for the other guy.. great but rotating series or snaps.. no I hope we do not do that. 

I want one to win and be great and other almost his equal. Then we need a team that wipes the floor early with a weak team so backup gets a lot of snaps in those games. One of our problems in recent years is how poorly we played against bad teams so we didn't get to play backup QB's and other positions.

4 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

He’d be an idiot to give up his chance of gamesmanship by forcing Oregon to prepare for two. I’m sure his team will know for a fortnight and some change though.

Ordinarily I would agree with you, but we have 2 Freshman: Zero game film on Bo and about 8 plays of tape for JG. Regardless of who Gus names, the Ducks DC has to prepare for all of Gus’s offense. 

49 minutes ago, cole256 said:

As president of the Joey fan club......I approve Joey is a run threat

tenor.gif

You said:

I was the first president but you did such an amazing job holding the fort down during my hiatus it wouldn't be right or fair for me to try to comeback and claim that title. 

I fully back you as there is going to be a bunch of hate during the summer. I'll be sergeant of arms!

You’re either backing me or a SW nut job. Now which is it?

21 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

Ordinarily I would agree with you, but we have 2 Freshman: Zero game film on Bo and about 8 plays of tape for JG. Regardless of who Gus names, the Ducks DC has to prepare for all of Gus’s offense. 

Oregon coaches visited Athens and Bama this offseason for our 411. I’m still saying don’t leak anything. 

22 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

tenor.gif

You said:

I was the first president but you did such an amazing job holding the fort down during my hiatus it wouldn't be right or fair for me to try to comeback and claim that title. 

I fully back you as there is going to be a bunch of hate during the summer. I'll be sergeant of arms!

You’re either backing me or a SW nut job. Now which is it?

Damn my bad I forgot I said that....I'm a natural leader bro I was just taking ownership.....You're right, I was wrong. People on the board don't realize how I was backing this guy speaking him at Auburn into existence......I'm just glad you was there to cheer him on when I wasn't here during that time period

I think certain packages for the non starter will probably be okay.  If joey wins the starting job a redshirt for bo would be my preference. 

If you are going to platoon both and both can run any play in the playbook no to that.  We tried that in 1973 with Walls and Whatley.  What a disaster.

3 minutes ago, cole256 said:

speaking him at Auburn into existence.

Now you sound like my mother did  lol.

If you remember I was right there on page 2 of his commitment thread hyping him up in 2015. I was at least VP at that point. You took your hiatus and well, I was an opportunist. haha

I can't see Nix being the starter because of Gatewood's bruising running ability.

I can't see Gatewood being the starter because Nix may be a better passer, and might transfer rather than risk sitting behind Gatewood for 2 more years.

So obviously, I'm wrong.

10 hours ago, WalkingCarpet said:

Excuse me, it's called the "whirly bird." Get it right. 

HAHA, I hear ya, I always liked the "spin-a-roo" better. I think the whirly bird was one extra spin.

13 hours ago, KolchakAU85 said:

I can't see Nix being the starter because of Gatewood's bruising running ability.

I can't see Gatewood being the starter because Nix may be a better passer, and might transfer rather than risk sitting behind Gatewood for 2 more years.

So obviously, I'm wrong.

Normally I would say that there's no way that a head coach who is very much coaching for his job this year doesn't play the guy who he thinks gives him the best chances of winning this year. Normally I would say that. About almost any coach intelligent enough to work in college football. Almost any coach. 

(It's gonna be Joey and Bo's gonna be okay with that. Bo's worst case scenario is probably taking over as a JR/RS SO with a lot of reps already under his belt. Besides, why not let Joey deal with the train wreck that our OL will be next year and then step in as the starter in 2021?  >:D)

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Normally I would say that there's no way that a head coach who is very much coaching for his job this year doesn't play the guy who he thinks gives him the best chances of winning this year. Normally I would say that. About almost any coach intelligent enough to work in college football. Almost any coach. 

(It's gonna be Joey and Bo's gonna be okay with that. Bo's worst case scenario is probably taking over as a JR/RS SO with a lot of reps already under his belt. Besides, why not let Joey deal with the train wreck that our OL will be next year and then step in as the starter in 2021?  >:D)

You really think the OL will be that bad? I feel like we are going to see a lot of improvement and they will end up being a strength.

16 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

Oregon coaches visited Athens and Bama this offseason for our 411. I’m still saying don’t leak anything. 

Saban: "Dont play a running back at quarterback and don't try a 60 yard FG with a second left and you should be fine. Oh, I almost forgot, make sure they never call a holding on your lazy line and it'll be much easier." 

31 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

You really think the OL will be that bad? I feel like we are going to see a lot of improvement and they will end up being a strength.

I think he means the 2020 OL.

57 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

In 2020?

Or, what @The Freak said.

Archived