All Things 2019 QB Talk

countoff

3 hours ago, BigWhiskey91 said:

The only difference I can potentially see if SW didn’t play in 15 is that we drop the Kentucky game as well. 

Could argue a healthy SW gives us a win over UGA, as well as argue that never playing SW hurt against UGA could’ve also given us a win over UGA then. 

As for 2016. That was actually a pretty solid rushing team. At its peak I believe we were averaging almost 275yds or so per game on the ground. White wasn’t asked to do much during our 6 game win streak either. Only went over 20 pass attempts in 2 of those games. That being said, before his injury, he was leading the SEC in pass efficiency. Kinda sucks we lost SW, and pettway to injury before UGA. Hell, we had to bring out banged up SW at half time to prevent a home loss to Vandy lol.

If it really interest you I could tell you how I see it in detail, imo sw didn't play well against a team with a good defense. He was available against the so-so teams and not against the good defenses for us to even know how he would perform, especially 15. 

But I don't want to go off topic or be killed as for whatever reason he is just one of those players that is treated a lil different. I'm actually trying to do a little research with that, as I feel on the basketball team Brown was like that. I'm sure we're not the only fan base that that's done so but I'm actually interested in the hero player (sw, brown, etc) as opposed to the villain plays (Johnson, Thorpe, purifoy, etc) My initial thought is rankings.

• Replies 777
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, cole256 said:

If it really interest you I could tell you how I see it in detail, imo sw didn't play well against a team with a good defense. He was available against the so-so teams and not against the good defenses for us to even know how he would perform, especially 15. 

But I don't want to go off topic or be killed as for whatever reason he is just one of those players that is treated a lil different. I'm actually trying to do a little research with that, as I feel on the basketball team Brown was like that. I'm sure we're not the only fan base that that's done so but I'm actually interested in the hero player (sw, brown, etc) as opposed to the villain plays (Johnson, Thorpe, purifoy, etc) My initial thought is rankings.

That’s fair. I would say that by far, Sean Whites best performance was the 2016 LSU game. He was 19/26 (73%) for 234yds and no TDs and no picks. I believe Tony Stevens dropped a TD pass early in that game too.

IMO, if you want to get really deep in this, go look at all of our QBs under Gus and look at their performance on each down. I specifically did this when we brought in Stidham. JJ in 2013-2014 had a majority of his passes come on 1st and 2nd down and his passer rating was very high. In 2015, JJs pass attempts by down shifted heavily. A majority of his pass attempts in 2015 were occcuring on 3rd down and put JJ in tougher position to perform. Same thing with Stidham at Baylor. When Stidham came to Auburn, he actually had a majority of pass attempts on third down as well but performed well still. I posted an article I wrote about this on reddit. I’ll have to dig it up and get it up to date through 2018 and add Whites numbers as well.

16 minutes ago, BigWhiskey91 said:

I posted an article I wrote about this on reddit

I answered your question from Reddit from like 135 days ago. lol. I rarely get on there 

A breakdown of Auburn’s QBs after 1st training camp practice

Updated Aug 02, 7:07 PM;Posted Aug 02, 7:07 PM

Josh Bean | jbean@al.com

Auburn quarterback Bo Nix (10) warms up before the 2019 Auburn A-Day at Jordan-Hare Stadium.

0 shares

By Sam Blum | SBlum@al.com

Friday marked the first of 14 practices for Auburn football, and the first in what is expected to be a heated battle for the starting quarterback position. Both redshirt freshman Joey Gatewood and true freshman Bo Nix opened up the fall season on an even playing field.

Head coach Gus Malzahn and a couple offensive players spoke to the media and were asked about the race for the starting job. And while a lot of praise was heaped their way, so far there’s no indication of who looked better or has the upper hand.

“They’re both young guys, they’re both freshmen," Malzahn said, "they’re both competing extremely hard and like I told you before: they’re desperate to win the job and I saw that desperation today.”

Malzahn pointed out that, even though Gatewood has been at Auburn an extra year, he was limited much of last season with a thumb injury. And of course, Nix has been with the program since January.

For OL Marquel Harrell, a fifth-year senior, it doesn’t matter who is behind center. And while they expect a decision to be made on the race, that’s not currently the focus of the experienced offensive line that will be protecting the inexperienced QB

“Like Coach [J.B.] Grimes and Coach Malzahn can get right there and play quarterback as long as we take care of our job,” Harrell said, “everything else will be fine, you know.”

Malzahn has said he’d like to make a choice “earlier rather than later," but hasn’t committed to any exact timeframe. Both of those QBs took all of the first team and second team reps, with third-stringer Cord Sandberg watching, and taking third-string snaps well.

“It’s an open book. It truly is—even from today, I don’t think anyone could say who is the starter, who is not,” said senior WR Will Hastings. "Both, throughout the workouts, throughout the offseason, both handled themselves very amazing. Both are just true leaders. Both speak up. They’re two great guys. I love both of them, and whoever gets that job, they’re going to take us to battle in Dallas, and I can’t wait.”

The QB battle is the top storyline for Auburn football this fall, and arguably one of the more intriguing quarterback battles across the country this fall. With Nix, there’s the ordained Auburn QB that’s long been an in-state fan of the program, and of course a QB legacy. In Gatewood, there’s the Cam Newton comparisons, and also the 5-star status that Nix has, as well.

For all we know, what Hastings said may or may not be true. There might have been one that stood out. There might not have been. But for right now, at least, no one is saying. For now, it’s just a lot of praise for both, before one eventually gets the nod

“We threw a lot at them but I thought it was good. For the most part, they handled the installation pretty well,” Malzahn said. “You can tell they really have done a lot of work on their own this summer and that was encouraging to see.”

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

So a whole lot of nothing from Josh Bean. Thanks for the article @aubiefifty

That is all we are ever gonna get from any reporter.  Being allowed to watch 20 minutes of non-essential, uninformative practice time leaves for only being able to put together crap articles like this. It sucks for the fan base 

7 hours ago, cole256 said:

...as opposed to the villain plays (Johnson, Thorpe, purifoy, etc) My initial thought is rankings.

Don't forget to add Eric Smith to that group.

Man! So many people blamed and hated Neiko. It was plain laughable

• WarTiger changed the title to Gus hands on with qb's (video)
15 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Don't forget to add Eric Smith to that group.

Man! So many people blamed and hated Neiko. It was plain laughable

It was so bad that it could be the other corner, (I want to say Washington) and they would just say it was Thorpe.....now he went on to have a NFL career but he was so bad for Auburn he shouldn't play??? Doesn't add up lol. 

I'm serious, I'm interested in the psychology of what can make a guy say I'm the defender of Auburn athletes if you say the slightest thing about one guy but in the same breath say another guy on the team doesn't have potential.....

3 hours ago, BigWhiskey91 said:

That’s fair. I would say that by far, Sean Whites best performance was the 2016 LSU game. He was 19/26 (73%) for 234yds and no TDs and no picks. I believe Tony Stevens dropped a TD pass early in that game too.

IMO, if you want to get really deep in this, go look at all of our QBs under Gus and look at their performance on each down. I specifically did this when we brought in Stidham. JJ in 2013-2014 had a majority of his passes come on 1st and 2nd down and his passer rating was very high. In 2015, JJs pass attempts by down shifted heavily. A majority of his pass attempts in 2015 were occcuring on 3rd down and put JJ in tougher position to perform. Same thing with Stidham at Baylor. When Stidham came to Auburn, he actually had a majority of pass attempts on third down as well but performed well still. I posted an article I wrote about this on reddit. I’ll have to dig it up and get it up to date through 2018 and add Whites numbers as well.

Bro I mentioned this back at the time it happened but not too many cared as far as the pass attempts. I believe this was tied to the running game being successful. So had to play Georgia and bammer and be asked to complete 3 rd and longs. The only game where it was similar numbers to White was when jj played Texas a&m. And I believe because the run game was working as opposed to bammer and uga where our run game was shut down......

That's good stuff though in the future any topic hit me up and let's discuss stuff 

Never have we had a qb battle like this before. I am excited to watch it through. Before you know it we will be playing the "who threw that pick" game in scrimmages.

From everything I've heard Gus say to this point, I'm guessing that he's gonna start Joey Gatewood even if he goes with a 2 QB system.

Ok guys... In this interview at approx 2:00 I think it's Marcello asking Gus about QBs and contact this fall. Gus states that the QBs will not go live until the Oregon game. 

If Joey Gatewood becomes Joey Gatewood when the orange no contact jerseys go off, how is he getting a fair shake by the QBs never going live in the Fall? 

It just seems that Joey is trying to win a competition, and has one arm tied behind his back since he can't use his best feature...

57 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Ok guys... In this interview at approx 2:00 I think it's Marcello asking Gus about QBs and contact this fall. Gus states that the QBs will not go live until the Oregon game. 

If Joey Gatewood becomes Joey Gatewood when the orange no contact jerseys go off, how is he getting a fair shake by the QBs never going live in the Fall? 

It just seems that Joey is trying to win a competition, and has one arm tied behind his back since he can't use his best feature...

There's a good discussion about this in the day five thread, FYI

1 hour ago, Barnacle said:

There's a good discussion about this in the day five thread, FYI

Thank you very much. You are a gentleman and a scholar.

Soo a couple of beat writers & an insider have changed their picks from Joey to Bo being the starter. Regardless of who gets it all indications are both will play, at least early in the season.

23 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Soo a couple of beat writers & an insider have changed their picks from Joey to Bo being the starter. Regardless of who gets it all indications are both will play, at least early in the season.

I believe it. But today’s scrimmage can change things. 

21 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I was listening to Jay Tate’s latest last night and he seems to think Bo if that is who you are referencing.  It’ll be interesting to see after today’s scrimmage.  

I want to touch on Sean White briefly.  I honestly believe if Gus puts him in for the 2nd half of LSU and lets him get some reps Auburn maybe gets by Miss State the next week.  I can’t do what if on injuries but Sean being hurt definitely cost Auburn the Georgia game 2015 & 2016.  That’s all I’ll say about that.

41 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Dammit. I'm gonna owe @alexava a beer. 

19 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

I believe it. But today’s scrimmage can change things. 

Yep I think it is so close that it could go either way. Today’s scrimmage is big. 

17 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

if that is who you are referencing.

Yes. He & Barner Matthews are the writers. The insider is on The Bunker also.

18 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

I want to touch on Sean White briefly.  I honestly believe if Gus puts him in for the 2nd half of LSU and lets him get some reps Auburn maybe gets by Miss State the next week.  I can’t do what if on injuries but Sean being hurt definitely cost Auburn the Georgia game 2015 & 2016.  That’s all I’ll say about that.

We have numerous threads on Sean White. Might be best to discuss him in one of those threads.

29 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Yes. He & Barner Matthews are the writers. The insider is on The Bunker also.

We have numerous threads on Sean White. Might be best to discuss him in one of those threads.

Come on, E. Win said that's all he was going to say about it. 

17 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Come on, E. Win said that's all he was going to say about it. 

@McLoofus It's not about him. Other people can & likely would reply. There was a page or 2 derailment on Sean & past QBs in this thread last week that had to be split from this topic remember. Just wanted to nip that in the bud from happening again. If that derailment didn't happen last week I wouldn't have said anything on that part of Win's post.

Archived