All Things 2019 QB Talk

countoff

• Replies 777
  • Created
  • Last Reply
49 minutes ago, cole256 said:

At least Gus was smart enough to change that little rule 😂

There is a reason why Gatewood wanted to play for Gus despite having 33 total scholarships offers.

When both are ticking together, it’s great football. 

The personal QB coach has never coached past HS.

11 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

The personal QB coach has never coached past HS.

It's still good Gus is now letting his QBs get summer work with QB coaches. Bo is camping too.

48 minutes ago, ellitor said:

It's still good Gus is now letting his QBs get summer work with QB coaches. Bo is camping too.

I agree because it supplements the training from Gus’s staff while also keeping the players focused during the summer... The bill that that the player’s families have to continue forking out for the personal trainer is rather inconvenient on the family, but I guess that is the life of the modern day athlete. 

But it’s not like Gus doesn’t know what to do with QBs that Gus knows how to work with. He can do wonders with less than polished QB skills if they fit in his offense. I mean Gus only battled Coach Snyder for Nick Marshall. 

58 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

I agree because it supplements the training from Gus’s staff while also keeping the players focused during the summer... The bill that that the player’s families have to continue forking out for the personal trainer is rather inconvenient on the family, but I guess that is the life of the modern day athlete. 

But it’s not like Gus doesn’t know what to do with QBs that Gus knows how to work with. He can do wonders with less than polished QB skills if they fit in his offense. I mean Gus only battled Coach Snyder for Nick Marshall. 

Bro you know I fool with you a little bit, but we're just on opposite sides here. Everybody in the NFL isn't lying about Gus offense and the maturation of qb 's and wr's

7 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Bro you know I fool with you a little bit, but we're just on opposite sides here. Everybody in the NFL isn't lying about Gus offense and the maturation of qb 's and wr's

We know it’s simplistic. The NFL loathes our offense because they cannot easily evaluate our players for their systems. That doesn’t mean I want to go pro style or start humming the ball 46 times per game in a Kliff Kingsbury offense. It doesn’t even matter that you hate the offense, and that I like  what it was in 2013 and some spurts in 2017, because Gus is going to do Gus until he’s gone regardless of we think about it. 

As a Gatewood fan I also hope that Gus will be a very good play caller for him. 

On 7/28/2019 at 9:59 PM, ellitor said:

He struggled with passing as a true frosh & didn't get many reps in HS. Until he performs well on game days, concerns on his passing are legit.

He split time at QB in high school still had 3200 yards passing. 24 TDS to 7  interceptions and completed 263 out of 431 passes for a 61% completion rate. Not sure what you are comparing. On top of that I watched him throw a ball about 80 yards downfield . I think his passing is ok. Remember Gus doesn’t like backup QBs throwing the ball.

10 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

He split time at QB in high school still had 3200 yards passing. 24 TDS to 7  interceptions and completed 263 out of 431 passes for a 61% completion rate. Not sure what you are comparing. On top of that I watched him throw a ball about 80 yards downfield . I think his passing is ok. Remember Gus doesn’t like backup QBs throwing the ball.

I'm not even remotely qualified to judge mechanics, but I did just see a training video that is going around on twitter and it looks like he is rocking a very nice, high, quick release. Gets a lot of zip on it with not a lot of motion. At least that's what I saw. I'd love to hear what people who know about these things think. 

4 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I'm not even remotely qualified to judge mechanics, but I did just see a training video that is going around on twitter and it looks like he is rocking a very nice, high, quick release. Gets a lot of zip on it with not a lot of motion. At least that's what I saw. I'd love to hear what people who know about these things think. 

From what very little I've seen, he looks like a kid who has been able to rely upon his arm strength to make a lot of throws and consequently he can get lazy on mechanics. Cam was the same way, but Cam's arm talent is scary and he still gets away with throwing off his back foot, even in the NFL. Joey has a little bit of a 3/4 or "short-arm" motion, which isn't a problem itself. I just think he needs to continue to work on keeping his feet active and using his entire core to finish through the throw. These are fundamentals that all quarterbacks have to work on continuously, so it's not exclusive to Joey. I just think Joey can get away with a lot of things that other guys probably can't.

1 hour ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Split time would be an overstatement about his HS QB career. He didn't play much QB his Soph & JR year. He did split time his SR year & played well.

I'm not comparing anything & really didn't talk about HS passing issues. I said he had inconsistencies passing as a true frosh. That meant last year at AU & is per many people close to the program. You can accept the info or not.

Regardless of how well he passed in HS, given his limited reps there & reports of him struggling last year at AU, people can have legit concerns on how he will pass in live game SEC action until he does it well.

4 minutes ago, Auburn Kev said:

Our social media coordinator enters the ring by swinging a leg over the top rope! Thanks, that's the one I was talking about. 

On 7/30/2019 at 8:40 AM, McLoofus said:

Maybe a more reasonable way to say it is a more Prosch-y Chandler Cox and a more Cox-y Jay Prosch.

giphy (2).gif

Just now, McLoofus said:

Bigger, better blocker than one... more athletic, better pass catcher than the other'n...

So....NOW we know what a "football only facility" is.

It's where top secret experiments are done to create the perfect H-Back/Tight-End... 

....niiiiiiiicccce!!!!

1 minute ago, AUsince72 said:

So....NOW we know what a "football only facility" is.

It's where top secret experiments are done to create the perfect H-Back/Tight-End... 

....niiiiiiiicccce!!!!

Well, between our current QB, the one we just got a commitment from, Worm, Flash, that linebacker that just power cleaned 405 and literally laughed before he had even finished the lift... I could go on... I'm really starting to wonder...

In my very humble & amateur opinion, Joey seems to be going down a very common path amongst great college players (not just QB's).  He is probably very average in that way.

You have your Jadeveon Clowneys of the world and you Byron Cowarts of the world (then the Johnny Freakin Football outliers).

I think the Joey G's of the world are probably the most common.  But that's a good thing.  You can almost SEE the growth & maturity happen before your eyes.

I'm very pleased and excited to see his career progress at Auburn.

War Eagle!

On 7/30/2019 at 7:40 AM, McLoofus said:

Maybe a more reasonable way to say it is a more Prosch-y Chandler Cox and a more Cox-y Jay Prosch. 

That's an interesting spin...or...umm..take. 

14 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

We know it’s simplistic. The NFL loathes our offense because they cannot easily evaluate our players for their systems. That doesn’t mean I want to go pro style or start humming the ball 46 times per game in a Kliff Kingsbury offense. It doesn’t even matter that you hate the offense, and that I like  what it was in 2013 and some spurts in 2017, because Gus is going to do Gus until he’s gone regardless of we think about it. 

As a Gatewood fan I also hope that Gus will be a very good play caller for him. 

All that is moot, like I said originally I'm glad Gus had enough sense to see what he was doing was stupid and he changed it

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

Split time would be an overstatement about his HS QB career. He didn't play much QB his Soph & JR year. He did split time his SR year & played well.

I'm not comparing anything & really didn't talk about HS passing issues. I said he had inconsistencies passing as a true frosh. That meant last year at AU & is per many people close to the program. You can accept the info or not.

Regardless of how well he passed in HS, given his limited reps there & reports of him struggling last year at AU, people can have legit concerns on how he will pass in live game SEC action until he does it well.

Not arguing his lack of experience just like Bo’s at this level . But most all of the coaches that have worked with Joey over the past few years spoke well of his mechanics and foot work as a passer. Again his time as a Freshman last year just doesn’t even play in my analysis. First coming into a game for a few snaps never lets a QB get organized ( see the three QB rotation game against Clemson for reference 😁) and as we all know Gus pretty much tied the back up QBs hands by not allowing them to actually throw during a real game. But I am saying  that 263 completions out of 433 attempts (61%) is good in my book any day as far as accuracy. 24 TDS to 7 interceptions doesn’t strike me as a careless passer. I’m fine with folks worrying about lack of SEC experience, but to doubt a young man on such a small sample of a few plays in relief as a true freshman, I don’t think is fair. JMHO not out to criticize anyone.

If anyone wants to see what a QB with impeccable footwork looks like, just watch Drew Brees. Never gets caught flat-footed. Feet are always moving, so he's practically set to throw at all times. The dude is just phenomenal. 

Also... I have a question that someone can hopefully answer for me. I saw someone say on YouTube that Nix is actually older than Gatewood. Anyone know if this is true? From Twitter, I know Nix turned 19 this past February. I cant find Gatewoods age though... 

I mean it doesnt really matter. Im just curious if this is true, was Gatewood THAT smart that he was able to skip entire grades, or did Bo get held back? If its the later, that isnt saying anything bad about Nix. Its common practice for kids with exceptional athletic ability to be held back to give them a leg up on their competition. 

Im just curious if that is true, and if so did Gatewood skip a grade or was Nix held back?

2 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Also... I have a question that someone can hopefully answer for me. I saw someone say on YouTube that Nix is actually older than Gatewood. Anyone know if this is true? From Twitter, I know Nix turned 19 this past February. I cant find Gatewoods age though... 

I mean it doesnt really matter. Im just curious if this is true, was Gatewood THAT smart that he was able to skip entire grades, or did Bo get held back? If its the later, that isnt saying anything bad about Nix. Its common practice for kids with exceptional athletic ability to be held back to give them a leg up on their competition. 

Im just curious if that is true, and if so did Gatewood skip a grade or was Nix held back?

I've actually been wondering the same thing. Saw something a while back that make me think Nix might actually be older.

Archived