All Things 2019 QB Talk

countoff

I'm taking this one with a large grain of salt. It sounds like a pure guess, or no more educated than what we have been hearing on this board.   If Bo is the starter, I still see us running a lot of zone read, a la Colt McCoy.  And I could see a place for Joey to still get a fair amount of playing time as a wildcat QB who can throw. That's got to be tough for a defense.

• Replies 777
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, alexava said:

What is “ versatile “ about smoke Monday?

He is a freak athlete that could/can play all 3 of our DB positions. He is a dynamic Blitzer with an inmate sense of timing, plays fast downhill in the run game, knows his run fits, is a sure tackler, can cover throughout each phase of a route, and fast enough to cover/make-up little mistakes. JMO.

1 hour ago, alexava said:

What is “ versatile “ about smoke Monday?

He can play Safety and CB... just not at the same time. 😃

1 minute ago, aujeff11 said:

He can play Safety and CB... just not at the same time. 😃

Otherwise we'd call him Deion

9 hours ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

Almost every insider since the scrimmage has said it’s probably Bo.  Where there’s smoke there’s fire... 

i am pretty sure gus said he needed another scrimmage to name a starter so if your theory or talking point is true it must be awful close. othe peeps on here considered insiders give joey the nod. so who knows?

i see this as Bama 2016,    When Jalen Hurts and Cooper Bateman battled it out in the first few games.  I expect gus to do the same thing. (but maybe not as regimented as saban) 

10 hours ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

So you are thinking something posted in an article called UNHINGED THOUGHTS is somehow indicative of being able to tell who our starter is going to be this season? 

giphy.gif

8 hours ago, bigbird said:

He is a dynamic Blitzer with an inmate sense of timing...

I know you know a lot about the defensive side of the ball, so i tend to listen. I had not heard this description before, “inmate” sense of timing.  It is innately intriguing to me, I am thinking Bobby Boucher, but can you describe further?

58411748-1248-4E30-B6A1-205E67F86C78.gif

10 hours ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

I respect Phillip's time he has spent covering AU but that's just a prediction. He likely has no clue who will start at QB vs Oregon.

8 hours ago, bigbird said:

He is a freak athlete that could/can play all 3 of our DB positions. He is a dynamic Blitzer with an inmate sense of timing, plays fast downhill in the run game, knows his run fits, is a sure tackler, can cover throughout each phase of a route, and fast enough to cover/make-up little mistakes. JMO.

Why ina hell didn’t he play more last year?

10 hours ago, Maverick.AU said:

This is the most that’s been said to this point.

The heartburn this is going to give a lot of fans is absolutely delicious to me. 

53 minutes ago, jw 4 au said:

I know you know a lot about the defensive side of the ball, so i tend to listen. I had not heard this description before, “inmate” sense of timing.  It is innately intriguing to me, I am thinking Bobby Boucher, but can you describe further?

58411748-1248-4E30-B6A1-205E67F86C78.gif

See, I think it's more Mean Machine.

Burt-Reynolds-in-The-Longest-Yard-aka-The-Mean-Machine-Premium-Photograph-and-Poster-1009030__64793.1432419455.1280.1280.jpg

On 7/18/2019 at 8:32 AM, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

If we have a sure fire starting QB and the other QB leaves because of that, so be it.

Then you sure fire QB goes down to injury and you are in deep crap. In today’s CF coaches have to make sure they cover two or three deep. Very seldom does a SEC starter make it all year without a zinger or two. Folks forget we have three freshmen QBs on this roster. Not one of them are proven. No matter what you see in practice has much bearing on what you will see in a live game situation. We have witnessed great practice QBs that have totally flopped in real time and vice- versus. All Gus is doing now is trying to decide which one to tryout first against the Ducks. He will assure them all that they need to be ready when their number is called. Real tryouts won’t begin till Dallas. Again my guess based on Gus’s previous actions is Joey starts and Bo plays also. He needs to see each under live action by an opposing team that is actually trying to destroy them unlike our defense in practice. WDE

2 hours ago, alexava said:

Why ina hell didn’t he play more last year?

It is obvious that Smoke was an inmate last year, so the timing was not there.  I might be misinterpreting what Bird said, though.

13 hours ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

This article goes in the MMWs thread! 😝 

If Joey is the starter, it probably doesn't make sense  for us to employ a 2 QB system.  If Nix is the QB, then it might make sense for JG to come is as the wildcat QB on occasion.  I'd actually like to see that. In some situations, it would make sense and give JG meaningful playing time.  And a wildcat QB who can really throw is a scary thought for defenses.  I hate to lose either of these guys, but since they are both freshmen, I think the loser of this QB battle is likely to transfer.  You can't sit and wait your turn when the other guy is a freshman too.  Hopefully not until the end of the season at least.

1 hour ago, I_M4_AU said:

It is obvious that Smoke was an inmate last year, so the timing was not there.  I might be misinterpreting what Bird said, though.

source.gif

18 minutes ago, Cardin Drake said:

If Joey is the starter, it probably doesn't make sense  for us to employ a 2 QB system.  If Nix is the QB, then it might make sense for JG to come is as the wildcat QB on occasion.  I'd actually like to see that. In some situations, it would make sense and give JG meaningful playing time.  And a wildcat QB who can really throw is a scary thought for defenses.  I hate to lose either of these guys, but since they are both freshmen, I think the loser of this QB battle is likely to transfer.  You can't sit and wait your turn when the other guy is a freshman too.  Hopefully not until the end of the season at least.

Except Joey is a RS FR, which means he'll be draft eligible after 2020 and Bo would have 2-3 remaining seasons of eligibility. And Bo knew all of this coming in. 

Now, if Bo wins the job outright then maybe Joey transfers. I previously advocated for a position change instead, but clearly Joey has got the stuff to be a QB. 

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

The heartburn this is going to give a lot of fans is absolutely delicious to me. 

I would hope people would be excited to see Bo start if he’s the best qb to win games. It would also mean he beat out one of the best overall athletes on the team. I’m a JG fan because I believe he could be the one who can run CGM’s offensive style of play since at Auburn, but if CGM adjusts the offense for Bo I believe we’re going to be fine.

9 minutes ago, toddc said:

I would hope people would be excited to see Bo start if he’s the best qb to win games. It would also mean he beat out one of the best overall athletes on the team. I’m a JG fan because I believe he could be the one who can run CGM’s offensive style of play since at Auburn, but if CGM adjusts the offense for Bo I believe we’re going to be fine.

What I was referring to was the idea of playing both in the opener. That makes a lot of people nervous, and they in turn make me laugh.

I once posted very assertively and possibly impolitely that Joey is going to be the starter. For that reason, I want Joey to start. For literally every single other reason, I just want the best guy to start and don't care who it is. 

Anybody else wander if Gus is giving Joey every opportunity to win the starting job, but he just isn't serviceable in passing?  It would seem with the massive advantage of size in Joey's favor, the running ability and 1 year of experience it would be a no brainer for him to start unless the gap in passing ability between Bo and Joey is that large.

I have no inside information, just kind of what I'm thinking.  I do think we see both play against Oregon though. 

'

5 minutes ago, atl-tiger said:

Anybody else wander if Gus is giving Joey every opportunity to win the starting job, but he just isn't serviceable in passing?  It would seem with the massive advantage of size in Joey's favor, the running ability and 1 year of experience it would be a no brainer for him to start unless the gap in passing ability between Bo and Joey is that large.

I have no inside information, just kind of what I'm thinking.  I do think we see both play against Oregon though. 

I don't think the extra year was such a big advantage for Joey. Different OC, a QB1 with a very different style and who very rarely left the field, some other stuff that might have prevented him from getting a lot of reps and focus from the staff throughout the season... I mean, he only got a handful of snaps the entire season and they were mostly (all?) in the bowl game. He did get that extra year to adjust to college life and all that, but that means more to some guys than others.

The other stuff, I dunno. Hard to know what Gus is thinking when it comes to QBs. 

Archived