Ginsburg defends Brett Kavanaugh, says he's a 'very decent' man

TitanTiger

Rachel Maddow's show should be interesting this evening.

Ruth Bader Ginsburg defends Brett Kavanaugh, says he's a 'very decent' man

Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg on Wednesday night referred to her colleague Justice Brett Kavanaugh as a "very decent" person as she lamented what she characterized as the "dysfunction" surrounding the confirmation process for new justices. 

After delivering a speech on the 2018 Supreme Court term and the late former Supreme Court Justice John Paul Stevens, Ginsburg participated in a question-and-answer session with Duke Law professor Neil Siegel at an event for prospective law students held by Duke University. 

Siegel at one point said "nominees for the Supreme Court are not chosen primarily anymore for independence, legal ability, [and] personal decency, and I wonder if that's a loss for all of us." 

Ginsburg replied by defending Kavanaugh and her other relatively new colleague, Justice Neil Gorsuch, according to the National Review

"My two newest colleagues are very decent, very smart individuals," Ginsburg said. 

Ginsburg said the confirmation process for both of her new colleagues, who were nominated by President Donald Trump, was far too divisive. She said that despite the fact she was a "flaming feminist" when nominated to the Supreme Court in 1993, she was confirmed by a 96-3 vote and the process was much smoother. 

Ginsburg expressed hope that "patriots on both sides of the aisle" step up and reject the "dysfunction" surrounding confirmations moving forward. 

The liberal Supreme Court justice has expressed displeasure with the nature of the confirmation process for Kavanaugh in the past, slamming it as a "highly partisan show" in September. 

Kavanaugh's confirmation hearings were highly dramatic as he faced allegations of sexual misconduct from multiple women that nearly derailed his ascendance to the nation's highest court. He continues to be a subject of division in Washington.

https://amp.businessinsider.com/ruth-bader-ginsburg-says-brett-kavanaugh-very-decent-man-2019-7

Wow! Such words of wisdom from a liberal.

17 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Rachel Maddow's show should be interesting this evening.

i bet ol brett steal her sammie out of the fridge while she is not looking.........lol. thats funny right thee

Her response does not surprise me. She is as liberal as they come and yet one of her best friends on the Court was Justice Scalia an arch conservative. They respected each others knowledge of the law and they shared a love of Opera. They proved that people with very different belief's on the Law can still be friends and treat each other with respect. While I disagree with many of her legal arguments I have always respected her as she and Scalia set an example on how to disagree with class and to get to know and like people with different views.

When she was nominated many people who disagreed with her legal views still voted for her because she was eminently qualified whether you agreed with her or not.  Eminently qualified used to be the Litmus test.  If Trump gets to nominate another Supreme Court justice I would like that to be the standard for confirming. If Trump loses the next election and a Democratic President nominates a Justice I disagree with as long as that Justice is eminently qualified that Justice should be confirmed.

I tend to agree with the Democrats when they complain that Obama's selection was never given a hearing or a vote. He was the seated President at the time and made a selection of somebody whose legal views were different then mine but who met the eminently qualified standard.  I can understand why the Democrats were mad. I can't change what was done  but I would love to see us get back to that standard in the future whether a Republican or Democrat selects a candidate for the Court.

7 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Her response does not surprise me. She is as liberal as they come and yet one of her best friends on the Court was Justice Scalia an arch conservative. They respected each others knowledge of the law and they shared a love of Opera. They proved that people with very different belief's on the Law can still be friends and treat each other with respect. While I disagree with many of her legal arguments I have always respected her as she and Scalia set an example on how to disagree with class and to get to know and like people with different views.

When she was nominated many people who disagreed with her legal views still voted for her because she was eminently qualified whether you agreed with her or not.  Eminently qualified used to be the Litmus test.  If Trump gets to nominate another Supreme Court justice I would like that to be the standard for confirming. If Trump loses the next election and a Democratic President nominates a Justice I disagree with as long as that Justice is eminently qualified that Justice should be confirmed.

I tend to agree with the Democrats when they complain that Obama's selection was never given a hearing or a vote. He was the seated President at the time and made a selection of somebody whose legal views were different then mine but who met the eminently qualified standard.  I can understand why the Democrats were mad. I can't change what was done  but I would love to see us get back to that standard in the future whether a Republican or Democrat selects a candidate for the Court.

Elections mean things and BHO was the sitting President then.

Archived