How good was Auburn’s Defense?

RunInRed

Thanks...that kind of went over-looked after the rough first quarter and once the "negative Nancy's" got cranked up on this site.  

Little was made of the bad late game decision by Oregon to for it on fourth and a foot on their 40 which despite Herbstreit's urging, turned out to give AU the ball in very good field position.  Perhaps the O coaches could see the handwriting on the wall, that AU's offense was gaining control and he did not want to give the ball up.....but the AU defense absolutely ate up the play.

If they can play the run like they did for the rest of the season we'll be in a lot of ball-games.  Basically shut them down on the ground outside of one long run.

7 minutes ago, BigWhiskey91 said:

And Steele being on the sideline might’ve led to that adjustment coming as soon as it did! 🤔

I thought he looked uncomfortable on the sidelines during the first half but the adjustments were almost perfect. 

The thing that was impressed by the most in that first game was The tackling. Those guys wrapped up, especially the DB’s. There was no extra yardage after the catch 😤

That group of linebackers is as athletic and good in space as Auburn has ever had. Britt looked like a DaShaun clone out there but faster Pappoe is going to be like Devin Bush was at Michigan. McClain and Wooten are good enough to start at 3/4 of the SEC schools. We need to enjoy what we are watching, those guys are really good. 

1 hour ago, brad5628AU said:

Where in the world was TD Moultry? I was hoping he’d be the speed rush guy and don’t remember seeing him once

He was out there. I know for sure when Marlon went down, he took a few snaps on the following series.

Yes, Special Teams was very concerning. The moment that ridiculous 15-yard penalty was assessed after the go-ahead TD my first thought was they could very well have the ball on or around the AU 40 based on how our ST coverage had been.  Hoping that is a serious point of emphasis these next few SEC tune-up games.

Defense played extremely well. People overlook that Oregon has had months to script plays for the 1st quarter and executed a well put together game plan. Auburn’s game plan was good as well however didn’t execute. The difference in the game was how each team made adjustments. That and Bo just has that “it” factor that I haven’t seen since a guy down in the swamp. 

On 9/1/2019 at 9:01 AM, brad5628AU said:

Where in the world was TD Moultry? I was hoping he’d be the speed rush guy and don’t remember seeing him once

Injured during practice week.

1 hour ago, tigerwings said:

Derrick Brown makes Britt look good on this play. Pancakes the Right Guard and  a nice clean alley straight to the ball carrier.

Somebody teaches these guys Teamwork.  Impressive as I believe that's by design.

5 hours ago, tigerwings said:

Derrick Brown makes Britt look good on this play. Pancakes the Right Guard and  a nice clean alley straight to the ball carrier.

Britt was in the right place to make the tackle. That does not always happen.

7 hours ago, tigerwings said:

How much confidence does it give you see D. Brown doing these things against guys that were labeled by almost everybody with any football sense as one of the top 3 best OLs across the board in C?ollege Football

Archived