Offensive Line

AUTiger2012

11 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I am not defending the O-line as they did not play very well but it is a lot harder to block when th eother team knows what play you are going to run. RPO  and zone read is a Joke. It is supposed to be read the DE if he crashed down QB keeps and then runs or throws depending on what happens at next level. But in the Auburn Scheme it is QB give to RB even if DE is crashing down on him.  

This...we aren’t fooling anyone. When we get a big play it’s usually from great individual effort, not because our scheme confused the D.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I am not defending the O-line as they did not play very well but it is a lot harder to block when th eother team knows what play you are going to run. RPO  and zone read is a Joke. It is supposed to be read the DE if he crashed down QB keeps and then runs or throws depending on what happens at next level. But in the Auburn Scheme it is QB give to RB even if DE is crashing down on him.  

It really is amazing how almost every play, whether passing or run, is predicated on the threat of our QB being able to run. And we don't run our QB. Since 2014 on now, designed gives are gonna lead to the RB "keeping" an abnormal amount of time. Why does Gus think this works? If you're gonna say your play to the defense before it happens, you'd essentially need to have a NFL OLine to have a chance at succeeding. And we're getting low 4 star, project piece guys instead of that. I really do want Gus to succeed bc the staff we have (other than the OL position) is really amazing, but his scheme is so antiquated, it's insane

Guys, JB just needs time. He's the best teacher there is. We'll be better next year. We're just having to unteach Hand's coaching.

7 hours ago, AUwent said:

Fire Grimes NOW. I'm sorry, I'm still not over a certain thread from this past offseason about how great he was.

Hes already been let go once and still got brought back. Hard to blame JB for that.

7 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I've never coached at the college level, but here's an idea.  If the pseudo RPO zone read is going to be our go to run play with the RB getting the ball 99% of the time, why not just block the DE?  

7 minutes ago, around4ever said:

I've never coached at the college level, but here's an idea.  If the pseudo RPO zone read is going to be our go to run play with the RB getting the ball 99% of the time, why not just block the DE?  

But that would throw the "illusion " off. C'mon man...think! 😎

I am not by any means a recruiting expert but if recruiting was the problem when we recruited these guys , think about this.  A lot of guys were saying that our oline recruiting was suffering because our guys do not do well in the draft and subsequently do not fare well in the NFL because teams in the NFL does not use our blocking scheme.  If they were correct about that then think about this, we are back to using the Gap blocking scheme which is the scheme not used in the NFL.  

2 minutes ago, Carnell said:

I am not by any means a recruiting expert but if recruiting was the problem when we recruited think about this.  A lot of guys were saying that our oline recruiting was suffering because our guys do not do well in the draft and subsequently do not fare well in the NFL because teams in the NFL does not use our blocking scheme.  If they were correct about that then think about this, we are back to using the Gap blocking scheme which is the scheme not used in the NFL.  

Problem is they're not blocking, regardless of the scheme 😥

The talent level and attitude of the players on the OL just is not there.  And apparently, the same holds true of their backups.  It will be years before we improve from a status of poor to mediocre.

And the coaches have known this for a while.  I think this is why Bo got the nod over Joey.  It would have been hopeless to try to use Joey in a running capacity.  At least Bo is elusive in the pocket and knows when to throw the ball away.  I wonder how many of Bo's incomplete passes were throw aways the last two games.

29 minutes ago, countoff said:

The talent level and attitude of the players on the OL just is not there.  And apparently, the same holds true of their backups.  It will be years before we improve from a status of poor to mediocre.

And the coaches have known this for a while.  I think this is why Bo got the nod over Joey.  It would have been hopeless to try to use Joey in a running capacity.  At least Bo is elusive in the pocket and knows when to throw the ball away.  I wonder how many of Bo's incomplete passes were throw aways the last two games.

Some were throwaways no doubt but he has missed a great many open receivers too.  BUT...he's a freshman and not the second coming of Lawrence of Clemson....and frankly Bo looks like many freshmen or inexperienced QBs.  Can make a great throw and then miss something wide open.   

For example, he almost got Stove be-headed tossing a little short pass right in his face when the defensive tackler was about 3 yards away.   Now I have to ask why bo and Stove were that close together....someone running the wrong pattern but that seemed typical of our offensive problems. …..people in the wrong place and plays that go nowhere.. 

Bo should get better every week.....made some progress from last week and hope to see more this week....

9 hours ago, sevenlee36 said:

JB Grimes has made a living off Jeff Grime’s players at Auburn. The oline has been an issue since Gus was named HC. If you think it’s bad now wait till next year. Gus will leave us like Jimbo left FSU, no talent especially on the oline. To make it worse, the oline will take years to rebuild. The most important unit and foundation of a team is the oline, Gus apparently never understood this I suppose because in high school you could still win without placing a premium on the OL? 

Jimbo left FSU with a ton of talent.  He finished in the top 10 or top five in recruiting every year he was there. Why can’t you people admit Coach Willie, cannot coach?

56 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Horton needs to be sat. 

He looked to be a really good player early in his career and it just hasnt happened.

23 minutes ago, around4ever said:
1 hour ago, bigbird said:

Horton needs to be sat. 

We said that last year too. 

If it's as bad as last year the opposing DL-men sit him several times per game.

1 hour ago, leglessdan said:

Problem is they're not blocking, regardless of the scheme 😥

You are correct but my inference was to future oline recruiting.  If Gus remains and continues to run the Gap blocking scheme and guys on this board are correct that the better offensive line recruits are not signing with Auburn because the scheme seems to hurt them in the NFL draft then the chances  of upgrading our OL through future recruiting seems poor.

1 minute ago, 3rdgeneration said:

Is there someone on this forum who has actually played o line or coaches o line that can analyze the line as a whole and not trash individual players please?

@1913-14 is one I'd listen too.

2 hours ago, AU64 said:

Some were throwaways no doubt but he has missed a great many open receivers too.  BUT...he's a freshman and not the second coming of Lawrence of Clemson....and frankly Bo looks like many freshmen or inexperienced QBs.  Can make a great throw and then miss something wide open.   

For example, he almost got Stove be-headed tossing a little short pass right in his face when the defensive tackler was about 3 yards away.   Now I have to ask why bo and Stove were that close together....someone running the wrong pattern but that seemed typical of our offensive problems. …..people in the wrong place and plays that go nowhere.. 

Bo should get better every week.....made some progress from last week and hope to see more this week....

Yeah Bo made a couple of mistakes.  But overall, I'm really pleased with his play and presence for a true freshman.  And normally, I would be worried about his health with this OL "protecting" him.  But he is really elusive and is smart with his intentional throw aways.  

I don't think "Lawrence of Clemson" would have performed any better than Bo with the current Auburn OL in front of him.  

20 minutes ago, countoff said:

Yeah Bo made a couple of mistakes.  But overall, I'm really pleased with his play and presence for a true freshman.  And normally, I would be worried about his health with this OL "protecting" him.  But he is really elusive and is smart with his intentional throw aways.  

I don't think "Lawrence of Clemson" would have performed any better than Bo with the current Auburn OL in front of him.  

Agree.. take any successful QB and put him behind our OL running our system and well.. 

And the play calling does not help at all!  

When everyone watching knows the play, I'd say they are put at a serious disadvantage.

13 hours ago, AUTiger2012 said:

Im very disappointed in the progression of the oline.  I am sure that the guys at Tulane are good.  I am sure the guys at Oregon were good.  But we are lying to ourselves of we think either of those teams match up with LSU, bama, UGA, or even Florida's dl.  Either they have it or they don't.  And frankly Harrel called out Brandon Marcello last week and a week later he still sucks.  At some point it isn't scheme, it isn't coaching, its Jimmies and Joes.

Why would you expect progression?  Most of them have no reason to be playing Power 5 football.

Archived