Fair Catching a Punt on 6 or 7 Yard Line?

homersapien

I am posting this here because I saw this twice yesterday, once in the Carolina/Rams game and once in the Cowboys/Giants game.  The announcers in both cases made no comment.

It seems to me that, given the choice of downing the ball on your own 6 yard line or hoping for it to bounce into the end zone, the smarter thing to do is let it bounce. 

The only reason I can think of to fair catch it is to keep it from being downed even closer to the goal.  But that still seems like an acceptable risk to me. 

Am I missing something?

37 minutes ago, homersapien said:

The only reason I can think of to fair catch it is to keep it from being downed even closer to the goal.

Rule of thumb has always been put your heels on the 10 yard line and if you have to back up to catch it, let it go.  Maybe Auburn has changed that to the 5 yard line. With our special teams, who knows?  Hopefully they taught Brown not to jump the punt protectors in the future.

3 hours ago, oracle79 said:

Rule of thumb has always been put your heels on the 10 yard line and if you have to back up to catch it, let it go.  Maybe Auburn has changed that to the 5 yard line. With our special teams, who knows?  Hopefully they taught Brown not to jump the punt protectors in the future.

These were pro teams that did it.

2 hours ago, homersapien said:

These were pro teams that did it.

Ah, missed that.  I'm guessing maybe these punters are getting so good at killing the ball that the coach is deciding it's better to fair catch on the 6 than have it downed inside the 5.  Only thing I can think of to explain it.

I haven't really done the NFL in many years.

I know college rules now allow all kickoffs that are Fair Caught to be placed on the 25 yd line.

Maybe the NFL changed the rules to where even punt returns can be fair caught to put the ball on the 25?

That's one of the main reasons I quit watching the NFL, due to "safety rules" changes they keep making to protect investments.  NFL is so sterile & boring (unless you're a gambler).  Frankly, I'm surprised they're not 2-hand touch by now.  Unfortunately, college usually follows them.

I have no problem with calling for a fair catch inside the 10. Just don't catch the ball.  Move left if the ball is going right to deek the coverage team. 

• WarTiger changed the title to Fair Catching a Punt on 6 or 7 Yard Line?
7 minutes ago, around4ever said:

I have no problem with calling for a fair catch inside the 10. Just don't catch the ball.  Move left if the ball is going right to deek the coverage team. 

Tried to fool the Tulane coverage and lined up near the middle of the field one of the gunners caught their punt on the 3 or 4 in the corner.   Tried that twice but both times Tulane was able to down the ball and put AU in a hole.   I guess sometimes the fake works....sometimes not.       

On 9/9/2019 at 4:15 PM, oracle79 said:

Ah, missed that.  I'm guessing maybe these punters are getting so good at killing the ball that the coach is deciding it's better to fair catch on the 6 than have it downed inside the 5.  Only thing I can think of to explain it.

I think that's it.  Pro punters have gotten so good at kicking it high with back spin that it looks like a Phil Mickelson wedge shot when it lands.  And the coverage teams can get behind the returner and down the ball if he lets it go.  The 6 yard line isn't great, but it's better than the 1 or 2 yard line.

On 9/9/2019 at 4:23 PM, AUsince72 said:

I haven't really done the NFL in many years.

I know college rules now allow all kickoffs that are Fair Caught to be placed on the 25 yd line.

Maybe the NFL changed the rules to where even punt returns can be fair caught to put the ball on the 25?

That's one of the main reasons I quit watching the NFL, due to "safety rules" changes they keep making to protect investments.  NFL is so sterile & boring (unless you're a gambler).  Frankly, I'm surprised they're not 2-hand touch by now.  Unfortunately, college usually follows them.

That's not true.  Only freekicks that are caught inside the 25 yard line are considered touchbacks and thus placed at the 25.  If a team faircatches at their own 35, then the ball will belong to them at the 35.

50 minutes ago, WarTiger said:

That's not true.  Only freekicks that are caught inside the 25 yard line are considered touchbacks and thus placed at the 25.  If a team faircatches at their own 35, then the ball will belong to them at the 35.

Okay, well you got me on a technicality...

I wasn't thinking of pooch kicks & on-side kicks since probably 98-ish% of kickoffs go well beyond the 25 yd line.

Of course, I'm sure my percentage is off by a few points too. 

EDIT: This creates a question if you don't mind... Can a squib kick be fair-caught?

Archived