Houston vs Tulane

Browning4AU

That reminded me of the prayer at Jordan Hare. Better throw of course but what a great way to end a game. Good for Tulane. 

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I hate the "prevent" defense....

As many have said it "prevents" you from winning sometimes. 

7 minutes ago, BJCrawford said:

Did they say that’s Fritz’s wife?

Boy howdy

Screenshot_20190919-223056~2.png

9 minutes ago, around4ever said:

What a finish!!!  And yeah, Coach Fritz outkicked his coverage by a long way.  

I was thinking it may have been his daughter. Yeah these coaches don’t seem to do too bad in the wife dept😬(see Dilly)

Prevent defense works probably 97% of the time.... If you are trying to prevent one play from beating you. There were three players who let the receiver get past him. That’s not supposed to happen. But they only needed about 20 yards to get in fg range. I would not have ran prevent because of that. 

Watched about the entire game.....which took a total turn about halftime...and was as entertaining as any game this year if like me, you did not have strong favorite though guess I was pulling for Tulane.....which did about everything possible to lose the game for about 57 minutes.  Motion penalties like that in game 4were unforgivable....and the QB had a stretch where he missed wide open receivers again and again.  

BUT...the Wave rose to the occasion with a bit of help from the Cougar defense.    And as noted earlier, the AU win was probably better than we gave credit for a couple weeks ago. 

This was a great game! I had turned away from it when Houston went up by 21. Glad i came back to it and saw that finish. I don't usually stay up late to watch non auburn games during the week but something told me this was going to be a great finish and boy was it. Tulane and especially their defense is the real deal. Can't believe they held Houston in check the entire second half. I don't think Houston is fully clicking on offense yet but they will be in the near future. The RPO they run with that QB is hard to stop. Early in the game it looked like Tulane could match up with them fine on the inside but just didn't have the speed to keep up on the outside. But after the half Tulane leaned on the running game and had long drives and the Houston D was absolutely gassed by the end of that game which is why the receiver broke free on the last TD catch. Loved the trick play as well! We've all seen that a few times. So cool when it works!!!!

9 hours ago, alexava said:

Prevent defense works probably 97% of the time.... If you are trying to prevent one play from beating you. There were three players who let the receiver get past him. That’s not supposed to happen. But they only needed about 20 yards to get in fg range. I would not have ran prevent because of that. 

IMO, Tulane's last scoring  play worked due targeting calls. The receiver came open in the middle of the field. To me, the Houston defenders had the opportunity to make hard hits and take the guy down, but they looked extremely timid. No one stuck their head in to make the tackle, they just ran up to him and never really hit the receiver. Maybe they are terrible tacklers but I think this is somewhat the result of targeting calls. Depending on who you are, it can be a good or bad thing.

1 hour ago, 80Tiger said:

IMO, Tulane's last scoring  play worked due targeting calls. The receiver came open in the middle of the field. To me, the Houston defenders had the opportunity to make hard hits and take the guy down, but they looked extremely timid. No one stuck their head in to make the tackle, they just ran up to him and never really hit the receiver. Maybe they are terrible tacklers but I think this is somewhat the result of targeting calls. Depending on who you are, it can be a good or bad thing.

I don’t think I follow on this . The wr was pretty upright the whole way. There was plenty of body to hit below the head. I’m not even sure what they ran was “prevent”. He got behind them maybe 20-25 yards past the LOS. It’s hard to blame the called defense or rules. For me it was lack of preparation or understanding of what to do. 

1 hour ago, alexava said:

I don’t think I follow on this . The wr was pretty upright the whole way. There was plenty of body to hit below the head. I’m not even sure what they ran was “prevent”. He got behind them maybe 20-25 yards past the LOS. It’s hard to blame the called defense or rules. For me it was lack of preparation or understanding of what to do. 

agree,,,,looked like the defenders got in each other's way....and nobody got a real shot on the guy.    Seems I recall AU losing a national championship game on a similar misplay by our defensive backs that let a modest pass turn into a major gain.  . 

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

agree,,,,looked like the defenders got in each other's way....and nobody got a real shot on the guy.    Seems I recall AU losing a national championship game on a similar misplay by our defensive backs that let a modest pass turn into a major gain.  . 

Yep I was there as FSU QB Winston ran right between two AU defenders who barely touched him, if at all.

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

Yep that pass to Greene......bring him down and the game was about over.....makes me tear up every time I see that play...

22 hours ago, AU64 said:

I hate the "prevent" defense....

Prevent defense hasn't worked as far back as the arcade game "John Elway QB"..........it's a horrible defense

Tulane really  impressed  me with that comeback. To shut them down to 6 points makes our D look better. I hope we do not come out and lay an egg for the first quarter and a half. Our D needs to buckle down and silence whatever critics there are. My biggest complaint is that we let teams move the ball on us for the first 20 minutes of the game and then buckle down. I would love to see this defense to click all 60 minutes as well as our offense.

I read that Finebaum thinks TAMU is going to be a rude awakening for Bo. I hope it is going to be a rude awakening for old Paul with a nice 60 minute crisply played football game.

Archived