Joey Gatewood (Update 10/30: Leaves the team)

Zeek

Just now, 1856 said:

I have been a Gus proponent for a long, long time.  This past weekend was the third year in a row that we should've beaten LSU.  With any other coach, we would be 8-0 right now with the most difficult schedule in the nation.  Now this?  Yes, Nix will eventually be a good QB.  But if he is struggling, Gatewood should've been put in.  He can run the read option and we've all seen it.  I am done with Gus.  I love my Alma Mater and will always support the players and the team, but I cannot support Gus any more.  The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over, and expecting different results.  

Heck Nix can run the ball but GM doesn't even try that. I doubt it would have bene much different with JG. Probably no reads just straight hand offs or keepers. 

• Replies 797
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, aucosby said:

I understand his frustrations and don’t blame him for pursuing other options but he should have finished the season. His decision to not finish the season and abandoning his teammates says a lot about his character.  

This is now more than ever a business.  We are at the point of allowing players to be paid for their likeness.  The quicker he gets his name out there, the better shot he has of transferring to a top program before the best spots are taken.

1 minute ago, WalkingCarpet said:

Very disappointing that Gus just can't figure out roster management. I don't fault Joey at all. 

$49 mil doesn't go as far as it used to.

6 minutes ago, RHN1975 said:

Everyone here is bent out of shape over a back up QB leaving and not a single one of us knows what is going on. I would have loved to have seen him get an opportunity while we were stuck in the mud against UF and LSU. At the same time GM while pretty inept at running an offense is not stupid. He is not intentionally trying to get fired by not playing the best players. He stands to gain a lot more by winning than getting fired and taking the buyout. It sucks having to watch the crap and I wish GM could get his crap together ( I doubt it at this point) but there is a reason JG wasn't playing.

There is a reason all of our ex coaches outside of Bowden live in the general area of Auburn. Tub's and Chizik came back after being fired to live in the area. I guarantee GM would much rather finish out his contract and retire here than be fired and get the chunk buyout. 

As far as Jeremy Johnson piping in on the situation he needs to keep his mouth shut. He was given every opportunity and could hack it. AU didn't ruin him or his chances and the only way he was starting anywhere would have been at an FCS school. 

I do agree with you on the JJ stuff.

6 minutes ago, aucosby said:

It’s not Gus’ back. It’s the other players on the team.  

I get what u r saying but when Gus did what he did during the LSU game, I think his teammates have Joey’s back on this one as well.

3 minutes ago, RHN1975 said:

Heck Nix can run the ball but GM doesn't even try that. I doubt it would have bene much different with JG. Probably no reads just straight hand offs or keepers. 

It's obvious Gus still hasn't given Nix the ability to run the read option.  All of the plays he keeps it on are clearly designed plays.  I am just so tired of Gus playing not to lose instead of trying to win the dam* game!

I try to keep an even keel on these things, but this one has me distraught. We don't know if Gatewood was doing his job, but in August these two guys were neck and neck. Nix showed in two big tests that he was rattled. If ever there was a time to give #2 a chance, it was Saturday -- and pretty early in the second half. This is a self-inflicted wound.

5 minutes ago, 1856 said:

It's obvious Gus still hasn't given Nix the ability to run the read option.  All of the plays he keeps it on are clearly designed plays.  I am just so tired of Gus playing not to lose instead of trying to win the dam* game!

And it would seem a lot more than just the run plays are predetermined. I’m not sure what QB does succeed in this system. Joe Burrow is a wonderful example of what can happen when a QB is positioned in an offense that’s not trash. 

For the first time in his career, I would say, Gus is extremely close to “losing the team”, if he hasn’t already. Losing a team with this much talent requires a special type of stubborn.

Joey was 100% going to play his part this season and leave at the end but Gus f’d it up. All he had to do was give the kid a chance when the other kid is hitting 30% of his passes.  

There was another 4 star QB the GM didn't develop that transferred out a couple of years ago. How is that working out? He can't start at a MAC school. I wish JG the best but sometimes they are not as great as we think they are.

2 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

For the first time in his career, I would say, Gus is extremely close to “losing the team”, if he hasn’t already. Losing a team with this much talent requires a special type of stubborn.

No one knows this. Not taking up for GM or anyone on the staff but not a single one of us knows what is going on or has watched a full practice. JG could have met with the coaches and asked about his role or he could have walked in and said if he isn't starting against Ole Miss he is leaving. Stuff will come out but it isn't time to panic. Probably time to really wonder WTH is going on but not panic yet. 

25 minutes ago, aucosby said:

I understand his frustrations and don’t blame him for pursuing other options but he should have finished the season. His decision to not finish the season and abandoning his teammates says a lot about his character.  

Total BS . He has done everything asked of him. He has been lied to since day one. When Gus recruited him he promised him the moon. Then when season game he promised him good playing time. Gus is plainly a liar of the first degree. Gus plays the part of a good Godly man but in reality he is underhanded and a liar to his players, to recruits and their families, to the fans and to Auburn . He is a disgrace and definitely not an Auburn man that lives by the creed. They can’t fire him soon enough. I hope others like Arky see how sorry Gus is and no one hires him and he can go work in a Huddle House . I hope the rest of the good players have Joeys back and sit out this week against OM. That would be justice served. 

2 minutes ago, RHN1975 said:

There was another 4 star QB the GM didn't develop that transferred out a couple of years ago. How is that working out? He can't start at a MAC school. I wish JG the best but sometimes they are not as great as we think they are.

i have thought about that QB too...could be more of the same (ability-wise) but JG situation was not handled well by Gus.  and not sure why JJ is piping up so much....he was given all kinds of chances and was just not a big time QB.

16 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

Hope he winds up with Mullen, Riley, or Dabo.  All would utilize him correctly and develop him. Best of luck to him!

Yup. 

12 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

Yup. There are numerous other skill players who barely see the light of day. Even ones who have gotten some chances to produce. 

Also, it bears mentioning that Joey was a cornerstone dude in his class. He committed early, did the camp circuit, and recruited hard for Auburn. He's a charismatic guy and a leader. I'm not saying anyone signed with AU because of Joey or will leave because Joey's leaving, but he's got a gravitational pull and isn't just some rando malcontent walking out the door. We're losing a big part of this team, even if he wasn't allowed to be that on the field. 

3 minutes ago, RHN1975 said:

I think there is a different situation here. Gus told them that both of them would play and there was a package of sorts for Joey.  Then did not follow through.  Now if Nix was lighting it up and performing at a high level everyone would get why it didn’t happen but that is not the case.

5 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

That’s the scariest thing about this situation to me. These guys commit their 4 years and talent to Auburn. To have them regret that commitment is the worst thing that could happen. 

Archived