Joey Gatewood (Update 10/30: Leaves the team)

Zeek

Wondering why the new rationale is "Oh, he probably wasn't very good anyway." 

Can you believe the camera actually captured that split- second intervention, out of all the ones that occurred in 60 football minutes on Saturday, for all the world to see? It's not just "not getting to play." These things don't "just" happen. Revelatory! 

#speechless

• Replies 797
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, CR said:

The Gus QB career graveyard adds another victim. Seriously, has any coach ever had such a disastrous cycle of QB failures?

no, not one that kept his job this long (Thanks Leath)

5 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

I would love to see Kirby Smart's record as well as Nick Saban's with QB's finishing at their schools.

Why? This doesn't have s*** to do with either of those coaches.

Just now, leglessdan said:

To show that this is not uncommon with the transfer portal now.  I just did the research and Smart has not had a single quarterback finish at his school.  Fromm would be the first.

1 minute ago, leglessdan said:

an attempt it to make Gus not look as bad by showing similar attrition numbers at the QB position.  

Under GM we have had 5 starting QB's Marshall, Johnson, White, Stidham, and Nix. I don't see where the stat about QB transfers is a big deal during this day in time. Heck if JJ is everything he evidentially thinks he was from his tweets we never see White or Stidham hit the field.  And White made poor decisons which led to him leaving the team. 

Just now, abw0004 said:

To show that this is not uncommon with the transfer portal now.  I just did the research and Smart has not had a single quarterback finish at his school.  Fromm would be the first.

Lol... Kirby is on his 3rd year ....

1 minute ago, abw0004 said:

This is only Kirby's 3rd year at UGA

19 minutes ago, ToraGirl said:

All right. We now need a WOW button like (cough, cough) Facebook. Mods, PLEASE. My whole being has yearned for one for too long and this is off the chains. I can't deal with the shock revelation with the present icons....

😮😮😮😮😮😮😮😮😮😮😮

I said in another thread that JJ sure does a lot of talking on FaceBook these days. He makes it seem like it was all Gus's fault and he was some potential Hall of Fame player who's career was ended by coaching. Now i want Gus gone tomorrow but somebody needs to tell JJ that although coaching wasn't great talent will show up if you're GOOD! Bruh...you better check yourself because he had every opportunity to show something and although he may not have been the worst QB at AU...i'd take a slow non athletic Cox or Todd any day over JJ! 

21 minutes ago, RHN1975 said:

And if GM told him he would play QB at AU he didn't lie to him. He played QB at AU. JG made the decision to come here. 

I have a daughter going through the process now. I know what kind of stuff coaches say. That also why we are looking at schools and not coaches because you had better be happy at the school if sports don't work out. 

I'll say this; every athlete and every athlete's parent should know going in that nothing is a given. It says a lot about one's own character if being handed the keys to the team are expected before performing...or they're just naive as hell.

Gus said during training camp that the competition was close. If it was that close then Gatewood should have been given a chance to show what he could do with Bo's consistent struggles 

4 hours ago, wde1968 said:

When he's at Oklahoma showing out I want all the Gus and Bo apologists to know I TOLD YOU SO  is coming your way.

That will be at least 2021, if he transfers to any FBS school 

35 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Buyout is no objective. Money was available last year . Gus cried his way out of it for 1 year to make a change. You can beat at the end of this year Gus will be fired for a lot less money than he could have gotten last year. 

I heard that myself, but i just can't believe it...i hope it, but are you sure about it?...i don't want to get too happy too quick

4 minutes ago, leglessdan said:

Lol... Kirby is on his 3rd year ....

4 minutes ago, selias said:

This is only Kirby's 3rd year at UGA

This is his fourth actually.  And so far every single quarterback he has had has transferred out (minus Fromm), including two 5*'s and two 4*'s.

12 minutes ago, RHN1975 said:

Seriously? You are comparing JG ypc to Whitlows? A back up to the guy getting most of the carries? If thats the case Harold Joiner deserves the Heisman since he is avg almost 10 ypc. By the way JG only avs .2ypc more than Whitlow. 

No I comparing who I think is a better wildcat at the goal line does that make it easier for you?

2 minutes ago, Vhsco88 said:

Gus said during training camp that the competition was close. If it was that close then Gatewood should have been given a chance to show what he could do with Bo's consistent struggles 

He did and I bought it at the time but it could also be coach speak. How would it have looked or sounded to JG if Gus said this true freshman came in here and completely outperformed this guy and earned the spot. 

Also,  if ANYONE post an article saying X player is "all in"  they need to get their ass kicked.    Those article are equivilent to the AD giving a public vote of confidence in the football coach...   Its Ra Ra  BS,  it means nothing  

7 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Kirby has been the coach for 2 years right?

The sad thing is, if you agree with JJ or not, we are potentially adding another QB (Gatewood) to the Twitter/Facebook anti-Gus rants, where it will hit us hard in recruiting anyone serious moving forward.

It's kinda like the guy that girls knew had a reputation.  Gus now has a reputation.  How long can Greene continue to ignore the mounting swirl of chit chat?  Not good.

1 minute ago, Vhsco88 said:

FWIW, every coach says the competition is close in almost every situation. Keeps the number 2 guy hopeful and working. Bo led a miracle comeback against a great Oregon team In his first start and led us to 5 other victories. Our two losses were sad offensive performances but he was in two of the nations most intimidating venues against great defenses. I wish Joey nothing but the best. 

2 minutes ago, Vhsco88 said:

There you go using common sense again like you think these Gus apologist will understand. It is quite obvious Gus doesn’t understand QB talent to start with and cannot coach up a QB at all. 

1 minute ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

No I comparing who I think is a better wildcat at the goal line does that make it easier for you?

Oh so I guess the fact Whitlow has scored time and time again from the wildcat inclcuding when he was completely gassed against Oregon doesnt make a difference. Had you said put DJ back there I could see your point. 

Archived