Joey Gatewood (Update 10/30: Leaves the team)

Zeek

• Replies 797
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, atl-tiger said:

Anybody think Joey hasn't seen significant playing time because hes not any better or more prepared than Bo? If Joey goes out there and stinks it up just as bad, Gus loses his freshmen QB excuse and then shows his hand that he has no QB ready.

I definitely think he should have been given a shot at UF and LSU due to Bo's struggles.  Just makes me wonder as Gus has always favored the QB with more of a run threat. 

Could be possible, but you have to listen to what Gus has said up to this point. He told us that he has two viable quarterbacks. Now he's told us that he never considered changing QB's at Florida, or LSU. Either your assumption is correct, or Gus is just full of horse manure. I lean toward the latter. Either way, if these rumors about Joey leaving are correct we'll never know.

2 minutes ago, wde1968 said:

When he's at Oklahoma showing out I want all the Gus and Bo apologists to know I TOLD YOU SO  is coming your way.

As long as he doesn’t end up at Florida with Mullen I’m good

3 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

Not putting JG seems to indicate we don't have a 2nd string QB ready as much as putting him in and him not performing well. 

If QB1 hit's less than 43% of his passes then QB2 deserves a shot to do better.  I don't see how anyone can disagree with that statement.

Not disagreeing, even Cord deserved a shot.  Just thinking out loud.  

Just now, Win4AU said:

THAT...... should be a fireable offense.

2 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

I'd love that for JG if he does decide to leave.  Mullen is a great QB coach and could help maximize Joey's skills.

He'll have to sit a year wherever he goes unless it is JUCO or FCS though.

Good. He smart enough to know if he hasn’t had an opportunity to play yet the he isn’t getting an opportunity. I’m sure he was lied to by the staff and had false hope that’s he play kind of BS and don’t blame him.

19 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

He's 5 of 7 with 2 passing touchdowns.  He's averaging over 5 yards per carry. 

I'm not sure how he could be doing any better give the role he's had to play.

Not enough data to make a decision.     But.... I do not think he knows the game as well as Bo. he looked very  uncoordinated on his runs.  He runs slow with a high center of gravity making him easy to tackle.  His bad passes were just as bad as Bo's.   I am just saying I do not think he is any better than Bo.   I think they are both hamstrung by the rinky dink malzahn offence.  From what I have seen Bo still has the edge.

23 minutes ago, atl-tiger said:

Anybody think Joey hasn't seen significant playing time because hes not any better or more prepared than Bo? If Joey goes out there and stinks it up just as bad, Gus loses his freshmen QB excuse and then shows his hand that he has no QB ready.

I definitely think he should have been given a shot at UF and LSU due to Bo's struggles.  Just makes me wonder as Gus has always favored the QB with more of a run threat. 

He can't make a quarterback ready. So you may have a point

Could the reason he is not getting the playing time because he is not doing the work and preparation  in practice?  If someone in this board is at practice and in the film room everyday I would like to hear from them. 

or it could just be stubborn head coach. I would have at least brought him in to change it up in the two losses. 

without being in the film rooms, practice and day to day, it is just which side of the argument you want to be on to fit your narrative. 

Just grasping at straws...

Maybe Gus just literally doesn't like Joey....

Seems he was in the doghouse a bit last year, IIRC, and maybe it's just a personality conflict or something?

He runs slow with a high center of gravity making him easy to tackle.

This is bs. He has a certain quickness and elusiveness that makes him a good runner.  I don't know if he is better than this year's Bo, but I'd like to find out.  I like Bo, and I haven't given up on him, but he's just not ready.  In all honesty, we win going away against both Florida and LSU with good (not great) quarterback play.  I'm a Malzhan fan for the most part, but I was very unhappy not to see JG in the 2nd half against LSU.

5 minutes ago, wareagle881 said:

Could the reason he is not getting the playing time because he is not doing the work and preparation  in practice?  If someone in this board is at practice and in the film room everyday I would like to hear from them. 

or it could just be stubborn head coach. I would have at least brought him in to change it up in the two losses. 

without being in the film rooms, practice and day to day, it is just which side of the argument you want to be on to fit your narrative. 

Thanks....JMO but yours is about the only comment on this thread that makes any sense.    J  G is  being used as an excuse for some folks to slam Gus...but that's expected I guess. 

Where are y’all getting this stuff?  I have seen absolutely nothing concerning Joey potentially leaving in the news and I would think if it is true there would be a headline somewhere especially with some of the Auburn haters out there.  Is this all just speculation based on this past Saturday?  Last thing I saw reported about him was he is happy at Auburn and wanted to help his team however he could.  I fully expect to see him on the sidelines and in the game on Saturday.  

9 minutes ago, wareagle881 said:

So it's your belief that JG is not capable of a 43% completion rate or we'd be seeing him play. 

That's quite the indictment of QB evaluation, recruiting, and development.

25 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Thanks....JMO but yours is about the only comment on this thread that makes any sense.    J  G is  being used as an excuse for some folks to slam Gus...but that's expected I guess. 

We don't need any more excuses. Gus has provided plenty of them. So much so that there is only about a half dozen Gusketeers left on this entire site.

Just now, weagl1 said:

Where are y’all getting this stuff?  I have seen absolutely nothing concerning Joey potentially leaving in the news and I would think if it is true there would be a headline somewhere especially with some of the Auburn haters out there.  Is this all just speculation based on this past Saturday?  Last thing I saw reported about him was he is happy at Auburn and wanted to help his team however he could.  I fully expect to see him on the sidelines and in the game on Saturday.  

It's being discussed by mods on Rivals and 247.  He did not practice yesterday.

4 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

What about sick, injured and getting treatment, family problem, conflict with a class or any of a hundred other reasons a player might miss practice?  

6 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

Does it matter if he practices or not?

maybe some personal issues.

maybe classwork.

Maybe we don’t know.

7 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

So it's your belief that JG is not capable of a 43% completion rate or we'd be seeing him play. 

That's quite the indictment of QB evaluation, recruiting, and development.

My belief is nowhere in the post. I am just simply pondering the questions. And since I am not there everyday I do not know the full truth. 

Good for Joey!! Gus and Auburn LIED to him. This isn't the same as Justin Fields. Fromm wasn't making mistakes and couldn't be benched. Nix should have been benched during the Florida game. Gus is trying to hide behind the "auburn man" and daddy Nix legacy. 

Go Joey, I hope you make millions one day. Get the hell out of this toxic place.

18 minutes ago, Eagle-1 said:

We don't need any more excuses. Gus has provided plenty of them. So much so that they're is only about a half dozen Gusketeers left on this entire site.

I think the fact people who disagree get named childish things like Gusketeer could be more the reason. And before you blast me, I don’t come down on any side bc I don’t have enough facts to.  You are correct, tho. The haters out weigh all others by a long shot, so much so it’s  impossible to get any other info anymore.  All are in forum heaven.  Enjoy.

13 minutes ago, TigerOne said:

Does it matter if he practices or not?

maybe some personal issues.

maybe classwork.

Maybe we don’t know.

It was personal issues, deciding what he wants to do next.  Multiple reporters have confirmed.  He could return to the team, he is trying to figure it out.   The fact that the entire team has been quiet on social media gives credibility to the story, IMO.

Archived