Back In Time--Where Were You When...? 🤔

ToraGirl

Change of pace...and an option for those who lament the lack of thread variety right now. Share YOUR story!

Where I was when...

17-16 rocked the world? 

1st grade, Dean Road Elementary, Auburn. Mrs. Cook posted it in her door and I was naturally clueless. 

Bo Jackson chose AU over UA? 

Transitioning from Auburn High to Auburn U. My years were Jackson/Person/Sir Charles and Brother Jed/Sister Cindy proselytizing on the HC Concourse. Oh, and the eagle cage greeted me as I slunk to calculus in Parker.

Fear the Thumb reached EPIC proportions? 

Living in KY while husband finished seminary (Asbury) and missing all of the "payback."

One 2013 second changed it all?

Coming out of the women's room at the Auburn Arena viewing, thankful for Rod and countless instant replays. 

Michael Dyer never went down, despite the DayGlo rumblings (Duck drivel)?

Watching at home and running to Academy at midnight for victory shirts.

Now where were you?

#addmorecategories

#thebestisyettocome

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember fishing on a beautiful fall day with my departed dad, who was a dye hard Auburn fan. We listened to the Mississippi State game, when John Bond was the qb. If my memory serves me correctly, Auburn won the game. Bond was a good one. We also caught about 100 schooling bass that day. Good times and good memories. 

17-16 rocked the world  I was in HS in Florida. Did not follow football at all back then. Really only got interested in 1975 when I got to attend an Iron Bowl (Shug's last game as HC)

Bo Jackson chose AU over UA I was working my first professional job not far at all from Bo's home in Bessemer AL

Fear the Thumb reached EPIC proportions?  Moved to N Carolina the year before "fear the thumb" run began

One 2013 second changed it all? I corrected the year. I was still in NC for that.

Michael Dyer never went down, despite the DayGlo rumblings (Duck drivel)? I was at the game. I picked the right Auburn NC game to pay thru the nose to attend!

14 minutes ago, ChltteTiger said:

17-16 rocked the world  I was in HS in Florida. Did not follow football at all back then. Really only got interested in 1975 when I got to attend an Iron Bowl (Shug's last game as HC)

Bo Jackson chose AU over UA I was working my first professional job not far at all from Bo's home in Bessemer AL

Fear the Thumb reached EPIC proportions?  Moved to N Carolina the year before "fear the thumb" run began

One 2013 second changed it all? I corrected the year. I was still in NC for that.

Michael Dyer never went down, despite the DayGlo rumblings (Duck drivel)? I was at the game. I picked the right Auburn NC game to pay thru the nose to attend!

That's right on the second...thank you!

Let's see.

17-16- Upper deck front row 40yd line Legion Field. I was nine. My parents were in the lower section somewhere. I was quite mature for my age🙂 Still to this day never seen anything like it when that second punt was blocked. I saw cups, glasses, bottles, even seat cushions fly over my head that day. Ironically, one of my fondest memories of being an Auburn fan was when David Langner intercepted Bama's last pass, and fell to the Legion field turf on both knees. Goliath was dead.

Bo Jackson- I don't remember. I was a year out of High school in Opelika. I had a friend that was casually dating Tracy Soles, a tailback on the team. Word was coming out of preseason camp that somebody really special was lighting up the practice field.

Fear the thumb- I was living in Athens, GA at the time, but was at the thumb game 

2013 second that changed it all- I watched the game with my son in my room at the man camp in North Dakota where we were working in the oilfield.

Michael Dyer never went down- Watched that one at my Mom, and Dad's with my wife, Mom, Dad, and some of our children. Was home for the holidays from the oilfield.

Timing chain broke in Montgomery on the way to game with great date, two frat brothers with a bunch of tickets to sell to game, which we missed and heard on radio back at Fiji House.  Too broken hearted to go to the other questions.  Many years later met David Langner at metro Tuscaloosa AU club meeting.  Miss knowing he is walking the earth.  Must be with the angels. WDE!

1 hour ago, ToraGirl said:

17-16 rocked the world? 

In the second grade and my favorite player at that time was Burt Jones(QB/LSU).   I’m not sure I even knew where Auburn was at that time 

Was playing against Bo in football and baseball in HS

Was living and working in Houston 

Sitting in my living room in Dallas 

Cheering on the tigers at the stadium.  Never forget the look on my moms face after the win.  It was a look of total joy     

Now where were you?

#addmorecategories

#thebestisyettocome

One 2013 second change it all.... I was in my living room with my family yelling at my sister to stay in the other room because Sammie Coates had scored as soon as she walked in there and I knew she’d jinx us if she came back out. She stayed in there and well, I was obviously right. For a room full of Auburn fans it was the quietest we had been all night, standing around in complete awe of what we had just witnessed. 

Another one: 2010 Iron Bowl. I had planned on getting an Auburn tattoo the next day. My dad (an Alabama fan) called me at halftime to brag. I told him not to count us out and he told me that if AU came back to win he would pay the cost of said tattoo. True to his word I’m still branded for life. 

and Michael Dyer wasn’t down: Living in Auburn and stretched out on my couch with an awful case of the flu, went to Toomer’s corner anyway. I was sick for another week and had to sit down halfway up my apartment steps on the way home so I didn’t pass out. It was worth it. 

4 hours ago, aubaseball said:

Was playing against Bo in football and baseball in HS

Playing against Bo...that is wild! Our years were really close...so happy about your championship memory!

37 minutes ago, TuscaloosaTiger said:

Timing chain broke in Montgomery on the way to game with great date, two frat brothers with a bunch of tickets to sell to game, which we missed and heard on radio back at Fiji House.  Too broken hearted to go to the other questions.  Many years later met David Langner at metro Tuscaloosa AU club meeting.  Miss knowing he is walking the earth.  Must be with the angels. WDE!

Growing up in Auburn, the Fijis sounded so out-of-realm cool. Think present Auburn mayor, Ron Anders (Jr) may have been one. I'm so sorry about the game...timing chains issues are the worst!

17-16

In the student section at Legion Field! The blocked punts happened right in front of me! That game ranks up there with Kick Six!

Bo chose Auburn

Living in Bham. Not the kind of coverage you would see today.

Fear the thumb

Went to all of these games! Still remember the AU players waving $5 bills as they walked into the stadium at Tiger Walk at Tuscaloosa!

Kick Six

Sitting in the north end zone as Chris Davis ran right toward me! Still gives me chills when I hear “ There goes Davis”!

Michael Dyer was not down

In the stadium in Phoenix celebrating!

Some great memories!

47 minutes ago, Eagle-1 said:

Let's see.

17-16- Upper deck front row 40yd line Legion Field. I was nine. My parents were in the lower section somewhere. I was quite mature for my age🙂 Still to this day never seen anything like it when that second punt was blocked. I saw cups, glasses, bottles, even seat cushions fly over my head that day. Ironically, one of my fondest memories of being an Auburn fan was when David Langner intercepted Bama's last pass, and fell to the Legion field turf on both knees. Goliath was dead.

Bo Jackson- I don't remember. I was a year out of High school in Opelika. I had a friend that was casually dating Tracy Soles, a tailback on the team. Word was coming out of preseason camp that somebody really special was lighting up the practice field.

Fear the thumb- I was living in Athens, GA at the time, but was at the thumb game 

2013 second that changed it all- I watched the game with my son in my room at the man camp in North Dakota where we were working in the oilfield.

Michael Dyer never went down- Watched that one at my Mom, and Dad's with my wife, Mom, Dad, and some of our children. Was home for the holidays from the oilfield.

OHS Class of...19? I was 1984, AHS. "Six degrees of separation." These are great memories, Eagle-1; thank you for sharing. 

Just now, wde21 said:

17-16

In the student section at Legion Field! The blocked punts happened right in front of me! That game ranks up there with Kick Six!

Bo chose Auburn

Fear the thumb

Went to all of these games! Still remember the AU players waving $5 bills as they walked into the stadium at Tiger Walk at Tuscaloosa!

Kick Six

Sitting in the north end zone as Chris Davis ran right toward me! Still gives me chills when I hear “ There goes Davis”!

Some great memories!

You've caught so many in person! That's AUsome! I, too...chills on "There goes Davis!" On a group date to the Valley HS prom in 1984, none of us would have predicted that "quiet Rod" would go on to bellow it!  (And that date Paula would be beside him for the whole way.) ❤

29 minutes ago, wde21 said:

17-16

Bo chose Auburn

Fear the thumb

Kick Six

Some great memories!

Me too! My season tickets are in Section 46, I’ll never forget seeing Davis run at me and immediately thinking “Oh....he’s bringing this home!”

The bad part was my wife was working in the stadium medical unit. She ran back down from our seats while they reviewed the 1 second to go close out. When she got down and closed out she heard the stadium erupt. She ran back up and I had to tell her she missed a once in a lifetime event. 

2 hours ago, ChltteTiger said:

I was at the Dyer went down game too. Was at the 2013 NC as well....one of the biggest heartbreaks ever for me.

1 hour ago, TuscaloosaTiger said:

17-16 rocked the world? 

Probably in kindergarten. Like you, I was clueless and had no idea it even happened.

In high school.  Had just got my driver's license, started my first job (McDonald's) and was in love with my first "real" girlfriend.  Didn't even know who Bo Jackson was and didn't care.  All I cared about back then was hanging out with my friends/girlfriend.

Living in Alabama.  Working in the Banking industry.

At my mom's house watching the game with the family and my son.  Jumped out of my chair screaming when Davis cleared the last of the defenders.  Almost hit my head on the ceiling fan.  Ran outside to tell my niece that Auburn had won the game (she had gone outside because she couldn't bear to watch the end of the game--she missed the kick six)

Watching at home.

18 minutes ago, BJCrawford said:

I was at the Dyer went down game too. Was at the 2013 NC as well....one of the biggest heartbreaks ever for me.

I can/can't imagine. I love crab legs, but there is still a bit of 🤨😫😖 everytime I enjoy them. 

Just now, Shift said:

17-16 rocked the world? 

Probably in kindergarten. Like you, I was clueless and had no idea it even happened.

In high school.  Had just got my driver's license, started my first job (McDonald's) and was in love with my first "real" girlfriend.  Didn't even know who Bo Jackson was and didn't care.  All I cared about back then was hanging out with my friends/girlfriend.

Living in Alabama.  Working in the Banking industry.

At my mom's house watching the game with the family and my son.  Jumped out of my chair screaming when Davis cleared the last of the defenders.  Almost hit my head on the ceiling fan.  Ran outside to tell my niece that Auburn had won the game (she had gone outside because she couldn't bear to watch the end of the game--she missed the kick six)

Watching at home.

I was like you in that the love came later. It was 2010, Cam. I felt a connection to the program that is indescribable...that's also when I read Hard-Fighting Soldiers by Brother Chette, opening my eyes even further.  I love the replay of Davis and can never get enough of him glancing over his shoulder and plowing right on!  Great memories, thanks for sharing!

17-16 

just a sparkle in my parents eye

Bo

I might have just been born

Fear the thump

Just graduated but still buying student section tickets

Section 15 row 42 seat 15

Dyer

in the corner of the endzone that he was running to.  Didn’t even know what was happening.

17-16: Not Born

Bo: Not Born

Fear The Thumb: Just a highschooler lol

2013: Probably most interesting Interesting answer I can give for the list. I was a student at the time ( I took the 8 year college plan so I was 23 lol). I had a party date and she didn’t have a ticket to the UGA game, and with what they were selling for I sure as heck didn’t have several hundred at the time just for a game ticket, so a female friend that I had originally bought the tickets from, back when u could use anybody’s ID card, asked if she could use them, so I said sure. Of course I miss that game. After the game, I asked when she would meet me so I could get the card back, she replied, “you didn’t pay for the IB” so I sent a screenshot of the text where I asked if the IB was included when I bought them and she said yes. Still haven’t heard back from her till this day.

Dyer: Was going to school close to home

3 hours ago, ToraGirl said:

Change of pace...and an option for those who lament the lack of thread variety right now. Share YOUR story!

Where I was when...

17-16 rocked the world? 

3rd Grade...only recall the Punt, Bama, Punt bumper stickers

Had never heard of him until after he signed and friend and former Auburn DB Tim Drinkard told me about him while we were both watching an old HS practice. I asked what he thought about Alan Evans of Enterprise, and honest to God, he said, "He'll never start a game. We got a kid named Vincent Jackson. He'll win the Heisman before he's done."

Living where I live now and enjoyed the hell out of those 6 straight. 

Living room watching with mouth agape. 

In Braselton, GA hotel. The winter storm had interrupted our trip home from NC after attending my aunt's funeral. It made an otnerwise melancholy trip a little less burdensome.

9 minutes ago, api1957 said:

You forgot the 1993 AUsome season. Or was it AUdacity?

I did!  So that's the one you added--good one!  So FTT was "Seminary Part TWO"(the DMin experience) and 1993 was "Seminary Part ONE"--MDiv.  I just remember meeting Lewis Grizzard in a Lexington bookstore-to-end-all-others, signing books.  I said, "Lewis, if I ever get back to Alabama, I'm gonna nail my feet to the ground."  He said, "Honey, I don't blame you a bit."  In Big Blue country, it's all basketball, so I wasn't really following except in a homesick-kind-of-way.  (Plus my dad in Auburn had just been diagnosed with medullary thyroid cancer...so, even loving those rock fences and rolling hills, I was still ret ta go.)

Image result for if i ever get back to georgia

Archived