Phillip Marshall Article

twilli13

It seems this has distilled to “get rid of Gus” and “who will we get that’s guaranteed to be better”. While I fall in the former group, Gus has certainly got Auburn very close to the promised land. Unfortunately, he has had 7 years to overcome the problems, yet we see the same year after year.

While there is risk in going to a new coach, there is risk in hoping Gus will finally figure it out. While there are a number of potential candidates, I’d look for someone with a bit of charisma that has a solid plan of teaching by position (a la Saban). Developing solid game plans and being sharp/flexible enough to understand what has not worked, but will....and what needs to be tweaked or abandoned mid-game.

Gus seems to routinely miss plays and players that are clicking. Shivers to the edge worked against LSU, was stuffed on a run up the middle, and not seen again. Today, we saw a number of effective plays that will not be called next week. Difference in talent level? Sure. But the usual redundant package want work.

So either an epiphany for Gus or replace him. I like the qualities I see in Bill Clark. doesn’t have to be him, but that type of mindset.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, abw0004 said:

That is where we respectfully disagree.  I do see us with a pristine image in the university overall.  And I would not support any move that jeopardizes that

You can be assured that Auburn will not even consider a replacement that would jeopardize the reputation.  There will be no Petrino types even considered, and likely no Hugh Freeze or Art Briles types either.  That doesn’t mean that a change at the HC position is not justified.

When rival fan bases praise Gus, and point to his accomplishments in the past 7 yrs and boost him up and puff up his wins as if they are elite, then that should tell us all we need to know.  I never wanted Mike Shula to leave UAT either.

14 hours ago, bigbird said:

How many losses has Gus had beginning in 2014?

I don't know. I listed 18 scholarship offensive linemen for you, so you should return the favor and list the losses for me.

6 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Greatest coach in the history of the state for ANY sport.

Didn't JJ come kind of close to being canned right after the 2012 Texas A&M game?

3 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Didn't JJ come kind of close to being canned right after the 2012 Texas A&M game?

There was a moment after the Iron Bowl in 2012 where it looked like both Jacobs and Leather Jacket would be out the door together.

4 hours ago, keesler said:

You can be assured that Auburn will not even consider a replacement that would jeopardize the reputation.  There will be no Petrino types even considered, and likely no Hugh Freeze or Art Briles types either.  That doesn’t mean that a change at the HC position is not justified.

When rival fan bases praise Gus, and point to his accomplishments in the past 7 yrs and boost him up and puff up his wins as if they are elite, then that should tell us all we need to know.  I never wanted Mike Shula to leave UAT either.

Seeing Auburn people retweet bammers that clamor for us to keep this guy just because he slapped up Saban twice in 4 years sickens me 

The fact that they (both parties) can’t see how self indulgent that is..

7 hours ago, Mikey said:

I don't know. I listed 18 scholarship offensive linemen for you, so you should return the favor and list the losses for me.

98421766a11c31d3093f58c75effcc3a.gif

10 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

There was a moment after the Iron Bowl in 2012 where it looked like both Jacobs and Leather Jacket would be out the door together.

And the search committee was born.

Archived