Specific strategies you don't understand

cole256

25 minutes ago, gctiger said:

I hesitate to respond because I don’t want to be perceived as piling on and I’m not a Gus hater, but Gus seems unwilling or unable to adapt his system to better accommodate the rules changes. IMO, once the rules allowed the defense to substitute whenever the offense substitutes, Gus lost his edge because now the defense cannot only substitute, they run additional time off the clock, greatly reducing the ability to run hurry up.  

Also, the wide receiver routes rarely appear to challenge the first down marker on 3rd downs.  

Nah don't hesitate and don't worry about other people dictating what you post. I'll deal with them, just because you see a flaw don't make a hater....hell we just lost to Minnesota....there are some flaws. 

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

The substitutions and OL coaching are valid complaints. Substitutions slow down the tempo, and, when we use the tempo, our offense tends to work better. Furthermore, I think it has pigeon-holed players into specific roles rather than using the breadth of the skill set. Ironically, I think the high level of recruiting is a factor here. In 2013-2014, we had only a few good receivers, and our running back stable wasn't as full. Previously, players HAD to play more than one role because there was not that much talent. Also, a lot of people call Gus "stubborn," but this has been a drastic change from previous Gus. The substitutions didn't really start until around 2015 or 2016. 

OL Coaching... It is abysmal. I've been more defensive of Gus than most, but I really can't believe he brought back JB Grimes this year. Some people keep pointing to recruiting as the problem with the OL, but our starters at the beginning of the year were three 4 stars, one 3 star, and 1 transfer. We've done more with less in the past. The national championship OL was two 4 stars, one 3 star, one low caliber converted D Lineman, and one transfer. On paper, this OL should be on or at the level of that line. So why is it not? Is it scouting? Is it coaching? Either way, those responsibilities are on the OL coach.We need to open the bank on this position and find someone really good at coaching OLs. I wouldn't be against Ryan Pugh coming back either. 

I've had issues with play calling in the past. I thought that was a strength this year. The route tree was more complex than in the past. (Prior to this year, we rarely if ever saw slants, out routes, fades curl routes, drag routes, or hitch routes. We used all of these this year regularly.) We showed some new wrinkles in the RPO game, and adapted it continually throughout the season. A few years ago, people were complaining that all the short routes were screens and that there were no intermediate routes. A big complaint was that most of the passes were deep shots with inadequate protection, or obvious wheel routes.  I feel like the short to intermediate game was good this year this year. Nothing else (deep passes, interior runs, perimeter runs) seemed to work due to poor execution and poor blocking. So teams eventually just keyed on the short and intermediate routes, which is why the offense appeared to digress at times this year. 

I don't agree with everything that was said but great post.

The biggest irk for me is the idiocracy trickery play calling that rarely works.... and lack of use of the talent at WR and RB. 

I won’t really complain about anything but to suggest a few fixes for next year:

Offensive line - I know the OL play left a lot to be desired and I am not sure why Brahms did not play earlier.  I will wait until next season to see how the replacements do because by all accounts the protection should be much better.

Running Back Rotation - This year fans were clamoring more for rotating players and this year we did that, but rotated way too many guys.  I hope next year we have a good set of three guys with a fourth ready if one of the top three go down.  If you missed it, here was my analysis from this season below.  

On 12/5/2019 at 8:57 AM, abw0004 said:

Here are some stats I thought would be useful to bring to the table on the RB usage this season (this only counts run plays, not plays the particular running back was in the game and blocked for a pass play):

Boobie Whitlow:  147 carries, or 12.25 per game (6 receptions not included)

Shaun Shivers:  52 carries, or 4.3 carries per game (4 receptions not included)

DJ Williams:  79 carries, or 6.58 carries per game (5 receptions not included)

Kam Martin:  60 carries, or 5 carries per game (3 receptions not included)

Malik Miller:  12 carries, or 1 carry per game (4 receptions not included)

Harold Joiner:  11 carries, or 0.91 carries per game (6 receptions not included)

MAR:  Injured, out for the season

Judging by this analysis, we have one primary back with even reps behind him with three running backs.  This is common to do however and not out of place.  I think the issue lies where this year everyone demanded we have a running back by committee approach.  We did that, but with too many running backs.  A good rotation would be 3 running backs.  That would give each running back roughly 10 carries per game.  The key will be, who do you leave out?  They are all extremely talented.  Next year we lose at least Kam Martin, but gain 5* Tank Bigsby so we have the same issue next year.

If Auburn is going to be a run first team as the coach preaches, why not line up with a two back set and three wide set and dictate to the defense on what to stop.   The Minnesota offense went one back , one tight end and three receiver set.   This dictated that Auburn was in nickel package and could not stop the run.  When auburn brought 7 in the box, they passed the ball.  

Too stubborn to change. All great coaches change according to what works. The man literally thinks that all that doesn’t work is due to execution. Now while we had atrocious play up front that cannot be ignored, most great coaches will scheme accordingly. “Hey my line can’t hold a block for more than 3 seconds...maybe I can get rid of the ball quickly...” for instance. 
We are running the same dumb plays with all the “eye candy” for years with no changes. 

31 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Come on bro hit me with a couple!

One of my greatest frustrations in our offense are how long some of our pass plays, particularly our play-action pass plays take to develop. I don't understand why we consistently run play-action pass plays involving multiple fakes and which require our quarterback to turn his back to the defense. They are big risk/reward plays, and since Nick Marshall left in 2014, they have seemed to fail more often than they've been successful, often times resulting in sacks for large losses. 

I understand the need to take shots down the field, but plays like that put so much strain on our offensive line, as well as our young quarterback. 

1 hour ago, AUFriction said:

The substitutions and OL coaching are valid complaints. Substitutions slow down the tempo, and, when we use the tempo, our offense tends to work better. Furthermore, I think it has pigeon-holed players into specific roles rather than using the breadth of the skill set. Ironically, I think the high level of recruiting is a factor here. In 2013-2014, we had only a few good receivers, and our running back stable wasn't as full. Previously, players HAD to play more than one role because there was not that much talent. Also, a lot of people call Gus "stubborn," but this has been a drastic change from previous Gus. The substitutions didn't really start until around 2015 or 2016. 

OL Coaching... It is abysmal. I've been more defensive of Gus than most, but I really can't believe he brought back JB Grimes this year. Some people keep pointing to recruiting as the problem with the OL, but our starters at the beginning of the year were three 4 stars, one 3 star, and 1 transfer. We've done more with less in the past. The national championship OL was two 4 stars, one 3 star, one low caliber converted D Lineman, and one transfer. On paper, this OL should be on or at the level of that line. So why is it not? Is it scouting? Is it coaching? Either way, those responsibilities are on the OL coach.We need to open the bank on this position and find someone really good at coaching OLs. I wouldn't be against Ryan Pugh coming back either. 

I've had issues with play calling in the past. I thought that was a strength this year. The route tree was more complex than in the past. (Prior to this year, we rarely if ever saw slants, out routes, fades curl routes, drag routes, or hitch routes. We used all of these this year regularly.) We showed some new wrinkles in the RPO game, and adapted it continually throughout the season. A few years ago, people were complaining that all the short routes were screens and that there were no intermediate routes. A big complaint was that most of the passes were deep shots with inadequate protection, or obvious wheel routes.  I feel like the short to intermediate game was good this year this year. Nothing else (deep passes, interior runs, perimeter runs) seemed to work due to poor execution and poor blocking. So teams eventually just keyed on the short and intermediate routes, which is why the offense appeared to digress at times this year. 

I agree. If you don't have strength in the trenches, you will have problems in other areas, whether it be offense or defense.

Our OL is adequate. I noticed in the Minn, even with 4 seniors, we did not make adjustments on blocking schemes, blitzes etc. the OL coaching reminds me of my Steelers, before Mike Munchak got there, they were weak running the ball consistently, If it wasn't for Ben throwing it 30-50 times, we could not dominate in the run game. He came, and we became a very good run team as well as pass blocking. Now he is gone again, and Steelers struggled with his replacement coach.

Our OL should not be weak, if Gus' offense is based on the running game. Now for 2 years we don't have a 1,000 yard RB. And with more emphasis on passing when was the last time we had 1,000 WR? 

Play calling: I understand and agree Gus has instituted more pass plays, that we all screamed for over the last 4 years, especially with Stidham. But where the problem is I feel is he DOESN"T have a feel for calling a game where you use the passing game to set up the run, or you look for weaknesses and formations and call for certain pass plays to take advantage of those. For ex. in the Minn game, how many slants did we call? I don't remember maybe but one. Look at our passing totals over the last 6-7 games against SEC top teams. It's not good or adequate. 

Remember the series where our D shut their run game down 3 straight times, even on 4th down. Time to be aggressive with energy, momentum. Gus calls 2 run plays up the middle w/ DJ who hasn't had a good run since LSU. We gain 4 yards and the pass on 3rd was incomplete bc Bo had to scramble.  Terrible called series IMO.

Those 2 areas HAVE to get better next year...but I feel that Gus doesn't have that ability to adjust to what the other Teams Defense is calling...

3 hours ago, cole256 said:

some of us on this board isn't as intellectual as we think.

:thumbsup:

Situational backs, lack of use of a TE in passing game, the stupid hurry up dive after a 1st down,  bomb or bust mentality in the passing game with the simplest of routes.

The one major thing that eats me up is his loyalty to certain players that some others don't get. In most cases it doesn't allow the best 11 on the field.

1 hour ago, abw0004 said:

I won’t really complain about anything but to suggest a few fixes for next year:

Offensive line - I know the OL play left a lot to be desired and I am not sure why Brahms did not play earlier.  I will wait until next season to see how the replacements do because by all accounts the protection should be much better.

Running Back Rotation - This year fans were clamoring more for rotating players and this year we did that, but rotated way too many guys.  I hope next year we have a good set of three guys with a fourth ready if one of the top three go down.  If you missed it, here was my analysis from this season below.  

The question is...if Boobie had not gotten injured would we have even seen DJ Williams this season? That goes for the number of carries for the others as well. I'm leaning towards NO if past history is an indicator. 

1 hour ago, aubaseball said:

If Auburn is going to be a run first team as the coach preaches, why not line up with a two back set and three wide set and dictate to the defense on what to stop.   The Minnesota offense went one back , one tight end and three receiver set.   This dictated that Auburn was in nickel package and could not stop the run.  When auburn brought 7 in the box, they passed the ball.  

It was ironic the way they beat us, as far as adjustments during the game to pull it off

Why he never  recruits players with multiple talents, say a TE/HB/FB or a couple of WR that could function as a RB or vice versa, and keep the same 11 on the field and actually run a hurry up offense without having to substitute......There is just so much, but season is over, and for that, I am thankful.  Football is just not fun any more

1 hour ago, steeleagle said:

I agree. If you don't have strength in the trenches, you will have problems in other areas, whether it be offense or defense.

Our OL is adequate. I noticed in the Minn, even with 4 seniors, we did not make adjustments on blocking schemes, blitzes etc. the OL coaching reminds me of my Steelers, before Mike Munchak got there, they were weak running the ball consistently, If it wasn't for Ben throwing it 30-50 times, we could not dominate in the run game. He came, and we became a very good run team as well as pass blocking. Now he is gone again, and Steelers struggled with his replacement coach.

Our OL should not be weak, if Gus' offense is based on the running game. Now for 2 years we don't have a 1,000 yard RB. And with more emphasis on passing when was the last time we had 1,000 WR? 

Play calling: I understand and agree Gus has instituted more pass plays, that we all screamed for over the last 4 years, especially with Stidham. But where the problem is I feel is he DOESN"T have a feel for calling a game where you use the passing game to set up the run, or you look for weaknesses and formations and call for certain pass plays to take advantage of those. For ex. in the Minn game, how many slants did we call? I don't remember maybe but one. Look at our passing totals over the last 6-7 games against SEC top teams. It's not good or adequate. 

Remember the series where our D shut their run game down 3 straight times, even on 4th down. Time to be aggressive with energy, momentum. Gus calls 2 run plays up the middle w/ DJ who hasn't had a good run since LSU. We gain 4 yards and the pass on 3rd was incomplete bc Bo had to scramble.  Terrible called series IMO.

Those 2 areas HAVE to get better next year...but I feel that Gus doesn't have that ability to adjust to what the other Teams Defense is calling...

As with every other aspect of Gus’s offense, blocking assignments are his scheme.   The scheme is designed for four man fronts.  When the defense is different or changes from play to play our line is lost.  Hence, defenders going unblocked and OLinemen who don’t touch a defender on some plays.  

I think we all have the same questions.

Gus absolutely thinks his offense is still valid as is.  When plays don’t work, which is quite often, it is lack of execution.  He will not publicly say that but you can read his reactions on the sidelines after a play doesn’t work.  

Situational substitutions is something he started just a few years ago.  This makes his style of hurry up non existent.  There have been times this season when we ran with pace and no substitutions and it worked great.  Why he doesn’t do it more is beyond me.  

Running in the middle with a stacked box could be eliminated by giving the QB the ability to audible. 

Intermediate passes over the middle, slants and crosses, are almost non existent.  The situation above with a stacked box, is a perfect time to audible to a quick slant.  

I could go on and on but I am getting frustrated again so I’ll stop here. 

Still WDE!!!

Watching the game at my brother's house and Shivers comes into the game. My cousin says 'number 8 is in. If he lines up wide it's a sweep to the right. If he goes in motion and stops near the QB it's a run off tackle to the right.'

The biggest problem Gus has is that my cuz knew this. He's a job superintendent in the construction field. 

He also told me we needed to send 22 in and pass it to him. 

🤔

4 minutes ago, around4ever said:

Intermediate passes over the middle, slants and crosses, are almost non existent.  The situation above with a stacked box, is a perfect time to audible to a quick slant.  

Still WDE!!!

That plus Tight Ends being underutilized.

4 minutes ago, WDEagle said:

That plus Tight Ends being underutilized.

We don’t use a TE but your point is a good one.  TE/HBack, whatever you want to call it, is underutilized and always has been. 

Running up the middle on 1st down for no gain........hurry back to the line and run same play twice more for no gain......then throw short pass on 3rd that results in 4th and 8 with little to no time run off the clock.

5 hours ago, fishepa said:

I've always been curious,,,since we have one of fastest players in college football that we don't let him run a go route and try to throw him the ball.

We threw him some go routes earlier in the season when he had a broken hand if that counts...

Archived