Punter

TexasTiger

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
38 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

Any good Aussie punters available?

@TexasTiger If we sign a P it's likely Evan McGuire from Thompson. He's been discussed in the recruiting & last spots threads.

22 hours ago, steeleagle said:

The Troy Kicker/punter just entered the portal. Pretty good punting stats.

Is he a grad transfer? If not he'll have to sit out a year, which won't suit our situation.

5 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Is he a grad transfer? If not he'll have to sit out a year, which won't suit our situation.

Yes and there are rumblings auburn is a factor. If he does indeed choose Auburn and Buskey cannot get into Auburn and we do sign Hardy that would leave three spots left.

2 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

Is there a link that talks about Troy's kicker/punter?

Www.google.com

• 2 weeks later...

I was just reading up on Evan McGuire he committed as a kicker as he has an extremely strong  leg. He also punted and averaged around 37 yards per punt but in reading the below article he punted 39 times 10 ended up inside the 20 and 4 inside the 10. No more details but if he was kicking to keep ball inside 20 it could easily have hurt his average.  Punting is not just about distance it is also about hang time. This article did not give us enough detail to see if he could develop into an SEC Punter.  I would keep an eye on him this fall.

https://247sports.com/college/auburn/Article/Tigers-land-in-state-kicker-142622541

I’m more concerned about hang time and accuracy  than actual distance when it comes to punting. Doesn’t matter how far you’re punting if you’re out kicking your coverage 

46 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

I’m more concerned about hang time and accuracy  than actual distance when it comes to punting. Doesn’t matter how far you’re punting if you’re out kicking your coverage 

29 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I want another Steven Clark

If you are accepting new members into your club, I would like to submit an application. 

1 hour ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I was just reading up on Evan McGuire he committed as a kicker as he has an extremely strong  leg. He also punted and averaged around 37 yards per punt but in reading the below article he punted 39 times 10 ended up inside the 20 and 4 inside the 10. No more details but if he was kicking to keep ball inside 20 it could easily have hurt his average.  Punting is not just about distance it is also about hang time. This article did not give us enough detail to see if he could develop into an SEC Punter.  I would keep an eye on him this fall.

https://247sports.com/college/auburn/Article/Tigers-land-in-state-kicker-142622541

If you read the input from the camps he attended, his punting is not top level. I saw his videos of his punting, and he doesn't have what I call a punters form when he punts. 

I'm sure he concentrated more on his FG kicking, and personally I don't want one guy doing both. maybe someone can refresh my memory, but I thought we had a dual k/p and it got to where he tired his leg from k/o, FG, and punting that he had to stop doing one of them. 

He will need to get a lot of instruction if he is going to be our punter, and be consistently good.

3 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

He also punted and averaged around 37 yards per punt

ewwCoach.gif

How do we not have an SEC level punter?

8 hours ago, dyehardfanAU said:

ewwCoach.gif

We've had an excellent punter for two years. Relax, we'll have another one next year too.

On 1/24/2020 at 3:25 PM, dyehardfanAU said:

ewwCoach.gif

Who says Bo Nix can’t be an SEC level punter? He’s likely our punter if the season started today.

8 hours ago, Mikey said:

We've had an excellent punter for two years. Relax, we'll have another one next year too.

Link?

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

Who says Bo Mix can’t be an SEC level punter? He’s likely our punter if the season started today.

I'm thinking if the season started tomorrow rising soph Patrick Markwalter would be the punter. Of course, the season doesn't start tomorrow so there's a lot to be settled between now and next season.

7 hours ago, ellitor said:

Who says Bo Mix can’t be an SEC level punter? He’s likely our punter if the season started today.

I hope not. I don't like my QB to be a punter, knowing he could get hurt there too. I want my 'qb that is going to win a championship for us some day' to concentrate on getting better ONLY at QB...

There's always a punter around somewhere...:)

Archived