Mike Leach

auburn4ever

6 hours ago, AURex said:

The fact is, the imagery of a noose is not a bridge to ANY sort of social understanding --- other than understanding racism and hatred, no matter who it is directed at.

That’s not a fact. It’s called an opinion. More specific, your opinion. 

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, AURex said:

The fact is, the imagery of a noose is not a bridge to ANY sort of social understanding --- other than understanding racism and hatred, no matter who it is directed at.

Considering I both disagree with your statement and thought the tweet was funny, it seems you need to reevaluate what a fact actually is. 

On 5/20/2020 at 5:30 PM, AUGunsmith said:

Considering I both disagree with your statement and thought the tweet was funny, it seems you need to reevaluate what a fact actually is. 

Considering I both disagree with your statement and thought the tweet was not funny, it seems you need to reevaluate what a fact actually is. 

DAG "That’s not a fact. It’s called an opinion. More specific, your opinion. "

Actually, no. Your opinion is incorrect. The noose is recognized by U.S. federal law as a symbol of racism and racial hate against African-American citizens in our country. And it is also a fact that it is a symbol held by the vast majority of people, not only in the U.S. but worldwide, as a symbol of terrorism, tyrannical rule, and hate crime.

Just because you guys happen to hold some other political views does not change the FACT that the vast majority of people in the U.S. view the noose (as well as the confederate battle flag of the Robert E. Lee army of Virginia) as racist, terrorist, white supremacist, neo-nazi hate symbolism. That is fact.

As for Leach, he was probably not aware of the significance and sensitivity of the symbolism when he made his post. So he might be forgiven his ignorance this one time. Hopefully he has learned from this. Because I am eager to see his offenses in the SEC.

14 hours ago, AURex said:

Considering I both disagree with your statement and thought the tweet was funny, it seems you need to reevaluate what a fact actually is. 

DAG "That’s not a fact. It’s called an opinion. More specific, your opinion. "

Actually, no. Your opinion is incorrect. The noose is recognized by U.S. federal law as a symbol of racism and racial hate against African-American citizens in our country. And it is also a fact that it is a symbol held by the vast majority of people, not only in the U.S. but worldwide, as a symbol of terrorism, tyrannical rule, and hate crime.

Just because you guys happen to hold some other political views does not change the FACT that the vast majority of people in the U.S. view the noose (as well as the confederate battle flag of the Robert E. Lee army of Virginia) as racist, terrorist, white supremacist, neo-nazi hate symbolism. That is fact.

As for Leach, he was probably not aware of the significance and sensitivity of the symbolism when he made his post. So he might be forgiven his ignorance this one time. Hopefully he has learned from this. Because I am eager to see his offenses in the SEC.

Ooo I cant wait for you to cited federal law saying a noose in and of itself is a crime. 

Also I hope you are able to realize that your entire rant is literally a feelings opinion based tirade and the exact opposite of objective fact. 

Sense when  did majority opinion become an absolute truth? 

How can an opinion be right or wrong when it's an opinion in a subjective issue?

There is a lot of "Reeeeeeeee" in your response. 

On 5/21/2020 at 7:10 PM, AURex said:

When used in a manner for intimidation against a group of people, don't forget that key part of the law. Thus an individual using a noose for autoerotic asphyxiation would not fall under federal law.

On 5/22/2020 at 9:24 AM, AUGunsmith said:

I bet Leach is more aware than the majority of people given his fondness for history. He also is probably very well versed on the uses of hanging in different cultures throughout history. It would also be interesting to know his thoughts on capital punishment given his law degree. I feel that has an impact on how you view a noose also.

Interesting that you call the noose a Nazi symbol when all those sentenced to death at the Nuremberg trials were hung. Noose also represents justice to many. Plenty of whites have found the gallows as punishment not only in US history but in world history for crimes. Plenty of injustices have occurred due to a noose also. My family is Scottish and the English liked to mix hanging with draw and quartering defiant Scots. Was it Dodd or something like that they hung in 1993 for raping and murdering children? The man is a huge fan of pirates and what was the punishment for piracy?

It can also represent a loss of hope and need for help. Over 25% of  successful suicides attempts are from hanging.

It can be a symbol of protest, you can easily find images/pictures of Trump hanging from a noose. Same has happened to other leaders.

Americans have this need now to turn everything into some kind of racial or offensive incident. No perception, no context, and no thought of understanding.

I probably should dread someone going into my parents attic where my old WW2 plane models are. P51 Mustang, F4U Corsair, B17, B25, P38 Lighting, MK Spitfire, and then that Messerschmitt ME109 with accurate decals meaning it has a swastika on it. Probably get me labeled as a Nazi by someone that drives a Mercedes and works for Airbus. Then God forbid they find my grandfathers box that contains a knife, a luger, and some badges that were acquired through hostile negotiations in Belgium during late 44 or early 45.

Then the hypocrisy that goes into it. Like people from Michigan for instance that go off about the Confederacy but support Custer as the hometown hero lol. How about our military still has, and celebrates, the 10th Cavalry with the troop designations as Apache, Blackfoot, and Comanche. Take a look into the Massachusetts state flag (though that is actually starting to get some notice).

Now show me someone using it as stated in the federal law and I will sit right there with you and say that's f'd up (or used in a joke designed to be racially insulting).

Seriously the use of a noose has been involved in dark humor, especially in regards to family matters, for a long time and doesn't care about skin color. Bet he understands dark humor. This need to try and label Leach on that tweet  just makes me want to... well

bundy2.gif

Dammit, sorry.... let me use the PC version:

bundy1.gif

Mike Leach says you have to believe in yourself. Like Sasquatch (AKA Bigfoot.)

https://www.al.com/sports/2020/05/mike-leach-talks-sasquatch-lessons-moments-during-larche-football-preview.html

“One of the best lessons I learned in sports and coaching and playing sports is always believe in yourself,” Leach said. “If you don’t believe in yourself, no one else will. If you don’t believe me, just ask Sasquatch.

On 5/25/2020 at 5:17 AM, Texan4Auburn said:

When used in a manner for intimidation against a group of people, don't forget that key part of the law. Thus an individual using a noose for autoerotic asphyxiation would not fall under federal law.

I bet Leach is more aware than the majority of people given his fondness for history. He also is probably very well versed on the uses of hanging in different cultures throughout history. It would also be interesting to know his thoughts on capital punishment given his law degree. I feel that has an impact on how you view a noose also.

Interesting that you call the noose a Nazi symbol when all those sentenced to death at the Nuremberg trials were hung. Noose also represents justice to many. Plenty of whites have found the gallows as punishment not only in US history but in world history for crimes. Plenty of injustices have occurred due to a noose also. My family is Scottish and the English liked to mix hanging with draw and quartering defiant Scots. Was it Dodd or something like that they hung in 1993 for raping and murdering children? The man is a huge fan of pirates and what was the punishment for piracy?

It can also represent a loss of hope and need for help. Over 25% of  successful suicides attempts are from hanging.

It can be a symbol of protest, you can easily find images/pictures of Trump hanging from a noose. Same has happened to other leaders.

Americans have this need now to turn everything into some kind of racial or offensive incident. No perception, no context, and no thought of understanding.

I probably should dread someone going into my parents attic where my old WW2 plane models are. P51 Mustang, F4U Corsair, B17, B25, P38 Lighting, MK Spitfire, and then that Messerschmitt ME109 with accurate decals meaning it has a swastika on it. Probably get me labeled as a Nazi by someone that drives a Mercedes and works for Airbus. Then God forbid they find my grandfathers box that contains a knife, a luger, and some badges that were acquired through hostile negotiations in Belgium during late 44 or early 45.

Then the hypocrisy that goes into it. Like people from Michigan for instance that go off about the Confederacy but support Custer as the hometown hero lol. How about our military still has, and celebrates, the 10th Cavalry with the troop designations as Apache, Blackfoot, and Comanche. Take a look into the Massachusetts state flag (though that is actually starting to get some notice).

Now show me someone using it as stated in the federal law and I will sit right there with you and say that's f'd up (or used in a joke designed to be racially insulting).

Seriously the use of a noose has been involved in dark humor, especially in regards to family matters, for a long time and doesn't care about skin color. Bet he understands dark humor. This need to try and label Leach on that tweet  just makes me want to... well

bundy2.gif

Dammit, sorry.... let me use the PC version:

bundy1.gif

Great post. My family is Scottish also. Pretty sure I would be 100% accurate to say that throughout history far more white people have suffered at the end of a noose than black. Not even remotely close. As for AU Rex's comment on Robert E Lee, and the Confederate battle flag being viewed as as symbol of racism, and terrorism, it's because the American population has been misinformed with lies, and propaganda. I would remind all that the very same so called Union liberators turned their attention to murdering, and subjecting the Red Man soon after they supposedly liberated the Black man. It's hogwash plain, and simple. No, actually what they did was subjugate the southern population, both white, and black, and caused monetary suffering for members of both races for over 100 years. Then, turned their attention to the genocide of the red race. 

• 1 month later...
On 4/8/2020 at 1:03 PM, AUsince72 said:

I'll put this here and perhaps I'll be drummed out of the AUFamily site but this whole conversation is nonsense.

The black community does not own the aversion to the hangman's noose.  In history Christians, Jews, Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists, Non-believers have been hung for their beliefs (probably by the millions) and Christians in countries like Iran & Syria are still being hung today (not to mention the other myriad forms of torture & murder).

Opponents of Joseph Stalin were hung, opponents of Adolf Hitler were hung....then conversely, after the end of WWII, Nazis were hung.  People who disagree with tyranny are still being hung today in various totalitarian countries.

Criminals, murderers especially, were routinely hung thoughout history (I'm sure many innocent of the charges even) and I believe states like Texas still have that as a viable form of execution (but don't quote me on that).  In my family history a distant Confederate relative was guarding cavalry horses during the Civil War, was captured by Yankee horse thieves and summarily hung.  

Point is, the noose is offensive to anyone & everyone.  It's not unique to anybody!  Therefore, intent should count for something.... shouldn't it?  I don't think anyone has accused Mike Leach, in the past, of being a racist and, to my knowledge, he hasn't done anything to make one think he's a racist.  It was a VERY generic joke with a symbol of death for many....not just one people group.  Maybe it's funny in a joke, maybe not, maybe it's even offensive.  But nobody "owns" the offense.

As a Christian, we are targets of offense every day.  Many people on this very site seek to offend Christians.  As a middle aged white guy, it's now okay to offend me because in this current political climate, I'm almost literally the devil to many now......even other (usually younger) white people.  It is what it is.  Until Christ returns, it's only gonna get worse.  So, maybe we should ALL grow a little bit thicker skin.

As DAG said earlier, there's a lot of REAL bigotry (against MANY different people groups) that should be addressed in this world.  A joke, referencing something offensive to many, but with no intent to offend, really shouldn't freak people out.  And if it does, fine, but know you're not the only race, creed, religion, nationality who has suffered at the end of a noose.

Smh

Archived