Will Changes Occur At Auburn?

Texan4Auburn

15 hours ago, ToraGirl said:

Hey, Alexava....I am researching a SOCIALLY-DISTANT family road trip to Yellowstone and the Black Hills.  You won't believe what I just found.  Had NO idea.  On the atlas, it says, "War Eagle Grave."  PLEASE don't tell Bammer.  :yay::bamaspin:

'Wambdi Okicize is commonly known as War Eagle. He was born in either Wisconsin or Minnesota around 1785. While his Indian name means "Little Eagle," whites always referred to him as War Eagle, which is odd because all through his life War Eagle sought to keep peace. He even left his home tribe the Isanti (sometimes referred to as Santee) to avoid a battle as to who was to become chief..."

http://www.siouxcityhistory.org/historic-sites/109-war-eagle

Seems like this was published in a local newspaper ( when they were a thang) maybe 20 years ago during an off week or something. David Housel may have been the person to mention it? I do vaguely remember that story..

53 minutes ago, alexava said:

Seems like this was published in a local newspaper ( when they were a thang) maybe 20 years ago during an off week or something. David Housel may have been the person to mention it? I do vaguely remember that story..

It might have been...I hope to snag a pic...if I do, I'll put it on Post a Picture.

On 6/15/2020 at 7:40 PM, ToraGirl said:

I read a lot, and I read about lots of different topics, but you make me want to read THIS one even more.  I really love this post.  Thank you for sharing your reflections!  Do you have favorite authors on this subject...where is a good starting place?  And have you read 1776?  Different war, but I got bogged down by the writing style.  I can pick it up again...

I am not as good at keeping records as I would like, but here's a few suggestions:

James McPherson  Several excellent books on the war, but for my post, I drew on "The Mighty Scourge - Perspectives on the Civil War" (for which I took a lot of notes).

Charles B. Dew - "Apostles of Disunion...." ( Great book to refute the "it wasn't really about slavery" argument.)

David Williams "Bitterly Divided - The South's Inner Civil War" (Williams obtained his PhD degree in history at  Auburn.)

17 hours ago, homersapien said:

I am not as good at keeping records as I would like, but here's a few suggestions:

James McPherson  Several excellent books on the war, but for my post, I drew on "The Mighty Scourge - Perspectives on the Civil War" (for which I took a lot of notes).

Charles B. Dew - "Apostles of Disunion...." ( Great book to refute the "it wasn't really about slavery" argument.)

David Williams "Bitterly Divided - The South's Inner Civil War" (Williams obtained his PhD degree in history at  Auburn.)

Got two grad classes going now, but these will be on the list soon after. Thank you so much for making the time to share them, Homer. They look fascinating...and how cool, an Auburn Man!

On 6/14/2020 at 3:56 PM, Auburn85 said:

Should dixie land be removed from the fight song?

No ... why should it be?

... from that WikiPedia site ...

"Dixieland, sometimes referred to as hot jazz or traditional jazz, is a style of jazz based on the music that developed in New Orleans " ... by mostly black musicians.

oh ... Dixie Land... where is that?

On 6/14/2020 at 1:14 PM, Texan4Auburn said:

Given the tales of its roots... does everything involving War Eagle disappear from Auburn?

Auburn University does not own the stories of the origin of "War Eagle".   Neither does the Athletic Dept.  There are multiple stories.  What is the University going to say ... 'no media outlets are allowed to tell a "War Eagle" story.  I'll continue to tell the story of the Civil War soldier.  Maybe the University could say he was a Revolutionary War soldier and many ... of those complaining ... would not know the difference.  Whatever.

Interesting for fall...decided today...AU students required to wear masks starting Monday. Thinking public schools could follow...I know that, coincidence or planned, we followed suit in all decisions regarding school closures right after the university did. Sure does sound like bring it or buy it for game attendance...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wsfa.com/2020/06/19/auburn-university-require-face-mask-use/%3foutputType=amp

Archived