2021 5* LB Terrence Lewis (Maryland)

ellitor

1 minute ago, Mikey said:

I don't think Auburn having a winning season next year is a sad thing.

Why yes, I'll support our current coach and team as long as the coach holds that position. When the next guy comes in, I'll be hoping he wins every game too. I don't understand people rooting for AU to lose a game, any game.

ok,  I wrote that poorly.   I honestly wish Gus could win several conference championships but that ain't happening unless Gus changes himself and starts to hate losing to our big rivals.

That being said, it is sad we have to endure this painful lull where Gus is ok winning 8-9 games and losing to our big rivals.  And it is painful because of the optics - we win 8-9, but everyone wants to fire the coach.  Also, the gap between us and our rivals is larger than ever in recruiting with no help in sight.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, metafour said:

Except that you're now equating a 5-star HS recruit with supposed "problems" and a JUCO transfer QB with "problems" and pretending like it's the same thing. First off, very few teams are in the market for a JUCO QB in the first place. In Nick Marshall's case, that list is even smaller because he only fits teams that run a certain type of offense. We also can't pretend like all "problems" are equal, but there is also the variable that a QB is more important than any LB - and thus teams may be more willing to take a risk on a potential risk there (or less of a risk depending on the coach).

Everyone in the country has a need for a 5-star LB - so its a little bit more peculiar when no one else seems to want to give us much of a fight for this kid. You don't find that a little odd? The other angle that we need to talk about is the fact that both Cam and Marshall were squeaky clean in their seasons away at JUCO which is absolutely a factor in itself. Or do we believe that Gus would still take them on if they were still causing problems at their respective JUCO's?

Of course each kid is unique and there problems as well. It just seems nit picky to have an issue with recruiting this kid and not with any of the others. Same way another poster said..."I dont wanna hear anything about Trooper Looper and Donald Duck ever again if you don't have a problem with this".  Its a bit hypocritical. 

So again I would like to know who has any info on what this kid has done? What is so bad? Who said that no one else is trying to get him? Kid has a massive offer list. I know he doesn't fit alot of schools scheme either. 

6 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Can we keep this thread a Terrence Lewis thread and be excited that we're leading for a 5* LB? He's the #16 player in the entire country according to 247 for f**** sake.

Didn't you hear? It's rumored the kid has issues. We don't want him.

6 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

THIS. This has been a fear of mine lately. I feel like 2021 sets up better from a roster standpoint and a schedule standpoint. Get Bama and UGA at home. I could see Gus somehow squeezing out a good season maybe even a West title and then the pressure will be on our PTB with him wanting an extension. Hopefully, another Arky comes along trying to hire him away and we just let nature takes it's course, but if that doesn't happen...what do we do? It would be a horrible optic to fire him after a good season even though we know he would have stumbled into it. Tough Cookie that one is. 

If Gus has a great season next year I would not fire him but I also would not give him a contract extension. That is what got us in trouble last time. I have stated he has to have multiple consecutive great years to get an extension. If he doesn't like that he can leave on his own and we don't owe him anything. If you want to put a good face on it say because of financial hit of the pandemic we are waiting before giving extensions.

3 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Of course each kid is unique and there problems as well. It just seems nit picky to have an issue with recruiting this kid and not with any of the others. Same way another poster said..."I dont wanna hear anything about Trooper Looper and Donald Duck ever again if you don't have a problem with this".  Its a bit hypocritical. 

So again I would like to know who has any info on what this kid has done? What is so bad? Who said that no one else is trying to get him? Kid has a massive offer list. I know he doesn't fit alot of schools scheme either. 

Previously it was mentioned he has had anger issues which have gotten him in trouble.

Just now, AuburnNTexas said:

Previously it was mentioned he has had anger issues which have gotten him in trouble.

Has he been kicked off a team? Suspended from school? Arrested? I have been searching for info on this and can't find anything. I apologize I don't give up hopes on a 5 star LB because a few message board posters say he has anger issues. If I am missing something then ok...but from what I have seen or heard, I do not believe there is a reason yet to not be excited about this. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Can we keep this thread a Terrence Lewis thread and be excited that we're leading for a 5* LB? He's the #16 player in the entire country according to 247 for f**** sake.

It's ok to be optimistic but the reality is if he doesn't pan out it's only a paper victory as WDE & meta are essentially pointing out & we don't need any more paper victories at this point. I will say this though, I think if anyone can be good for T-Lew I think it's T-Will. Zakoby was having some character issues before he came to AU, albeit not likely as much as T-Lew as the LSU's of the world were still coming after him, but I don't think he's been a problem since being here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Has he been kicked off a team? Suspended from school? Arrested? I have been searching for info on this and can't find anything. I apologize I don't give up hopes on a 5 star LB because a few message board posters say he has anger issues. If I am missing something then ok...but from what I have seen or heard, I do not believe there is a reason yet to not be excited about this. 

@Tigerpro2aAs I have posted a couple times he has moved 3 times within a year. Stuff like that happens for a reason & it's never a good one. Regardless of what the kid has done that should put red flags up in everyone's head given our poor history of these many mover kids not panning out for us. I'm not saying don't take the kid. I'm saying the baggage to this point is likely very real.

7 minutes ago, ellitor said:

It's ok to be optimistic but the reality is if he doesn't pan out it's only a paper victory as WDE & meta are essentially pointing out & we don't need any more paper victories at this point. I will say this though, I think if anyone can be good for T-Lew I think it's T-Will. Zakoby was having some character issues before he came to AU, albeit not likely as much as T-Lew as the LSU's of the world were still coming after him, but I don't think he's been a problem since being here.

I understand. Linebacker-wise I think it's not a huge gamble. Pappoe is still improving, McClain likely back, Steiner is a dude, Tisdol will be solid, Riley will be solid, Wooten returns from opting out. Just excited for something positive.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, ellitor said:

@Tigerpro2aAs I have posted a couple times he has moved 3 times within a year. Stuff like that happens for a reason & it's never a good one. Regardless of what the kid has done that should put red flags up in everyone's head given our poor history of these many mover kids not panning out for us. I'm not saying don't take the kid. I'm saying the baggage to this point is likely very real.

Again...circumstantial. I am not saying it should not be a concern, either. I am saying...well here.....this was pulled from another recruiting thread by a poster on this board. (it wouldn't allow me to quote it for some reason)

""I get that people are frustrated, but seriously stop with the “We didn’t want him anyway” nonsense. He was a very talented 5 Star. Drama or not, that’s always worth getting them to campus. If they don’t grow up, suspend them, give them the boot, or suggest they take their talents elsewhere. But you want them to at least make it to campus.""

1 minute ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Again...circumstantial. I am not saying it should not be a concern, either. I am saying...well here.....this was pulled from another recruiting thread by a poster on this board. (it wouldn't allow me to quote it for some reason)

""I get that people are frustrated, but seriously stop with the “We didn’t want him anyway” nonsense. He was a very talented 5 Star. Drama or not, that’s always worth getting them to campus. If they don’t grow up, suspend them, give them the boot, or suggest they take their talents elsewhere. But you want them to at least make it to campus.""

Again. I'm not saying don't take him. I'm saying we should all be at least leary of it. & as fans it's not our place to know what kids have done. But there are definite tea leaves here in the moving & in that we can trust there are at least some legit character concerns.

FWIW multiple sites are reporting Lewis did make a quiet visit to AU last weekend. Looks like he will be an AU commit soon.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, ellitor said:

if he doesn't pan out it's only a paper victory as WDE & meta are essentially pointing out

Ok let me make sure I am getting this right. So we complain that we do not get elite recruits to come to Auburn and we get 3 stars and 4 stars, guys that would never see the field at our rivals and such. Then we have a chance at an elite prospect and we can't be happy about that either because "If" he doesn't pan out then it was just a paper victory anyways? Is that not the case with literally every single player that chooses to sign with any school? Is it not a gamble that the kid is going to pan out and be productive for the team? If they do not pan out, for whatever reason, does it not devalue the signing of said player?  Each and every player you sign is a gamble. Some may not qualify. Some may not reach their potential. Some may need a lot of maturing. Some may have more serious issues. It is always a gamble. I just think it is anecdotal to say that Gus is only after the kid because he needs a paper victory.

If it was a sure thing anybody could do it. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Again. I'm not saying don't take him. I'm saying we should all be at least leary of it. & as fans it's not our place to know what kids have done. But there are definite tea leaves here in the moving & in that we can trust there are at least some legit character concerns.

It might not matter anyway. He will probably end up committing to the University of Auburn. Those guys have gotten some good players from us before. 

Edited by Tigerpro2a
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Ok let me make sure I am getting this right. So we complain that we do not get elite recruits to come to Auburn and we get 3 stars and 4 stars, guys that would never see the field at our rivals and such. Then we have a chance at an elite prospect and we can't be happy about that either because "If" he doesn't pan out then it was just a paper victory anyways? Is that not the case with literally every single player that chooses to sign with any school? Is it not a gamble that the kid is going to pan out and be productive for the team? If they do not pan out, for whatever reason, does it not devalue the signing of said player?  Each and every player you sign is a gamble. Some may not qualify. Some may not reach their potential. Some may need a lot of maturing. Some may have more serious issues. It is always a gamble. I just think it is anecdotal to say that Gus is only after the kid because he needs a paper victory.

If it was a sure thing anybody could do it. 

Its not anecdotal at all.

Mikey will tell you all day long about how Gus is so great because during his entire tenure here we've had little to no major issues with players getting in trouble. Praise Gus! But really, we haven't had those problems BECAUSE he has been more risk averse in terms of who we've been recruiting. Probably because he got burned super hard by Mike Dyer who he went to war for. Gus hasn't had players keeping out of trouble because he's some "master disciplinarian" or Christ-like figure, we've had few problems because he's less likely to take those known problem players from the onset.

Now, all of a sudden in year 8 with his program crumbling, recruiting crumbling, fanbase wants him out...he's recruiting a 5-star LB that seemingly every other top program in the South is saying "you guys take him!" about? The only thing that has been brought up is that this move goes against what Malzahn's practice and philosophy has been the entire time he's been the HC coach. I'm not going to question your intelligence, but surely you're aware of the concept that people tend to abandon their "principles" once their backs are far up against the wall? Literally nobody is saying that its bad that we're taking this kid or that its not exciting. The only thing being brought up is the LEGITIMATE statement that this is NOT in line with how Gus recruits. The reason why he's doing something thats not in line with what he believes in is obvious: when you're sitting in the 50's in recruiting and everyone is just waiting around for you to get fired, you kinda gotta take whatever "win" you can scrape up. 

Edited by metafour
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Then we have a chance at an elite prospect and we can't be happy about that either because "If" he doesn't pan out then it was just a paper victory anyways?

We can be happy but we should all be aware of our history of these types not panning out. We should all be sickeningly tired of these types not panning out & want more than a paper victory. I'm saying let's turn a corner in our own eyes & not just have the blind AU sunshine. Let's see things as they really are & hope for the best while understanding that it very possibly may not turn out good.

Is it not a gamble that the kid is going to pan out and be productive for the team?

There's a difference in not panning out due to development & to known character issues. Playing the character issues game is a much higher risk factor.

If they do not pan out, for whatever reason, does it not devalue the signing of said player?

Yes & that's part of my point on the paper victory statement. We should all be tired of AU having a relatively high number of them & want more in term of them panning out on the field.

I just think it is anecdotal to say that Gus is only after the kid because he needs a paper victory.

ETA: Meta beat me to it.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, metafour said:

Now, all of a sudden in year 8 with his program crumbling, recruiting crumbling, fanbase wants him out...he's recruiting a 5-star LB that seemingly every other top program in the South is saying "you guys take him!" about? The only thing that has been brought up is that this move goes against what Malzahn's practice and philosophy has been the entire time he's been the HC coach. I'm not going to question your intelligence, but surely you're aware of the concept that people tend to abandon their "principles" once their backs are far up against the wall? Literally nobody is saying that its bad that we're taking this kid or that its not exciting. The only thing being brought up is the LEGITIMATE statement that this is NOT in line with how Gus recruits. The reason why he's doing something thats not in line with what he believes in is obvious: when you're sitting in the 50's in recruiting and everyone is just waiting around for you to get fired, you kinda gotta take whatever "win" you can scrape up. 

Well, I won't argue that. Gus's philosophy so far has not gotten us much by way of wins. Maybe taken more risk is what is required. 

Regardless, I do not care the reasons for an elite talent coming to AU. If he comes and works out...I am happy. If he doesn't...and he causes problems...boot him off. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

It might not matter anyway. He will probably end up committing to the University of Auburn. Those guys have gotten some good players from us before. 

Seriously, take a moment and consider if we had actually gotten those players that committed to the U of Auburn in addition to our players,  thUGA and bama would be working and worrying about how to close the gap with us!   

What could have been....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Let's just say in Lewis' transient last yr (3 different schools) one of his head coaches made a strong statement that he didn't want Lewis because the guy didn't fit in with culture and character that the school represents.  Not long after that statement, programs back off him completely. 

You're missing something Tigerpro2a, but I'm not one to rat out a kid.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, keesler said:

Let's just say in Lewis' transient last yr (3 different schools) one of his head coaches made a strong statement that he didn't want Lewis because the guy didn't fit in with culture and character that the school represents.  Not long after that statement, programs back off him completely. 

You're missing something Tigerpro2a, but I'm not one to rat out a kid.  

Well, with no more info than has been presented, I am still happy to get the kid. Heck if people hadn't taken a chance on me after some of my blunders in the early years, I would not be anywhere right now. Sometimes that is all a high school kid needs is for someone to take a chance on him and get him on the right path. You all can wallow about it being desperate all you want. Until the kid has a negative influence on AU or the team, I am happy to have him.

Sometimes these guys are just needing more structure and getting into a big time program and system is all they needed to stay focused and flourish.  Teammates that hold them accountable and push them.   Situations can be very easily misunderstood..

• Like 1

High risk, High reward. Happens at every level. Gus needs to let those who "got it out the mud" handle this one though.

Edited by DAG

44 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Well, with no more info than has been presented, I am still happy to get the kid.

That’s fair, but I would be more happy if we won more recruiting battles for top tier talent without character issues. An increase in taking character issues, plus transfers, plus JUCOs equals a staff not doing their jobs. And signals bad times around the corner. 

58 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Well, with no more info than has been presented, I am still happy to get the kid. Heck if people hadn't taken a chance on me after some of my blunders in the early years, I would not be anywhere right now. Sometimes that is all a high school kid needs is for someone to take a chance on him and get him on the right path. You all can wallow about it being desperate all you want. Until the kid has a negative influence on AU or the team, I am happy to have him.

Don't worry whenever he commits or he signs here some "rumor" will come out. I just hope it is not an accusation I think it will be .

• Thanks 1