Rust on new truck

AUBwins

I bought a new 2021 truck 1 week ago with literally only 2 miles on it. Today, noticed the rear Axel has rust already. The front plate is fully covered with rust, along with wheel wells.   I told dealer about it and plan to run over there in the morning to discuss. I really don’t want a “fixed” rusted frame on a brand new truck. That’s why I buy new! I would truly only be satisfied with a replacement truck. No telling what damage was caused by the rust.  I also don’t want to use my corrosion coverage 1 week into the vehicle. We’ve had full sunshine all week so weather wasn’t a factor.  Do I have any claim to this? It was bought as new, not as is. Just stinks because I feel like I’ll get stuck with the drive it off the lot crap.  I didn’t think to check a new car for rust. I would have for a used car. This was clearly there before bought, but no pic to prove. 

we have a Toyota from 2014 that shows less rust than this truck. 

20210305_172224.jpg

20210305_172208.jpg

20210305_172157.jpg

20210305_172253.jpg

20210305_172258.jpg

20210305_174829.jpg

20210305_174850.jpg

Your 3 day right to rescind has already expired, but you could at least try to rescind your purchase.  Something is clearly not right with all that rust.  You could play hardball with the dealer, but you may well have to get a lawyer involved. 

By chance do any of your local TV stations have a program like, for example, "Fox 6 On your Side?"  Perhaps going public with this problem could benefit you.  Good luck.

Not right at all. Looks as though the vehicle or parts were exposed to some salt water spray or surge. Hope you ask for vehicle replacement and if dealer is not in agreement that litigation will be your next step. Good luck and keep us updated

OP, depending on what the dealer tells you, consider getting a CarFax on this vehicle.  I wonder if this vehicle came from an area that had been flooded, especially by salt water.  

Update, dealer confirmed just surface rust which will happen with exposed steel that's not painted or treated, which I used to work with a steel company and any rain on clean steel would provide surface rust.  Just like your brake rotors.  They generally surface rust next day. Nothing structural regarding pitting or holes.  Said they could come in from transport like that.  I walked around the lot today and saw the same rusting in the same places on new vehicles.  I even had a chance to re-look at the truck I traded in which was a 2017 and saw some of the same rusting but that's 3 years old.

Clearly these must be getting wet on transport. Problem is they don't undercote the cars anymore, dealers aren't even offering the service unless you live in Northern, mostly snowing winters.   Argument is the components are solid steel and won't corrode.  If they do, there is a corrosion warranty for 6 years 100k from Manufacturer.  I was prepared to pay hard ball along with threatening litigation and kinda expected to hear it wouldn't be anything claimable since it's not actually corroding. After talking with people I trust with cars,  and seeing the others on the lot, I wouldn't get anything better to replace.  Can't use the Lemon law since the car would have to be not functioning for min of 30 days and the dealer given 4 chances to fix it first. It's just frustrating to see something so new already with rust. 

So the fix at no charge to me is going to be wire brush it off and spray paint it so it's not exposed.  I will probably get some retail undercote to spray on the more vulnerable parts myself.  For those wondering, I traded a 2017 Silverado 1500 for a 2021 Silverado 1500. I only had a 2wd and realized I need a 4wd after the 10 days of nonstop winter storms.  For the record, the same issue is occurring with the 2021 Fords. So lesson learned is I would check the undercarriage of brand new vehicle as well to determine if you want to buy or not.  Didn't think I had to with only 2 miles on it.  Thought this would only be an issue with used cars. The dealer is submitting the pictures to GM to push the issue further in hopes they will find a better solution.  So hopefully nothing more serious. I'll definitely keep an eye on it.

Good video showing comparisons of new and used.  This guy is a follow if you just want to see video about trucks.  Good over many different topics.  Funny how this was posted 3 days ago.  Basically what I saw is the new norm. 

• AUBwins changed the title to Rust on new truck
On 3/6/2021 at 8:07 PM, AUBwins said:

Update, dealer confirmed just surface rust which will happen with exposed steel that's not painted or treated, which I used to work with a steel company and any rain on clean steel would provide surface rust.  Just like your brake rotors.  They generally surface rust next day. Nothing structural regarding pitting or holes.  Said they could come in from transport like that.  I walked around the lot today and saw the same rusting in the same places on new vehicles.  I even had a chance to re-look at the truck I traded in which was a 2017 and saw some of the same rusting but that's 3 years old.

Clearly these must be getting wet on transport. Problem is they don't undercote the cars anymore, dealers aren't even offering the service unless you live in Northern, mostly snowing winters.   Argument is the components are solid steel and won't corrode.  If they do, there is a corrosion warranty for 6 years 100k from Manufacturer.  I was prepared to pay hard ball along with threatening litigation and kinda expected to hear it wouldn't be anything claimable since it's not actually corroding. After talking with people I trust with cars,  and seeing the others on the lot, I wouldn't get anything better to replace.  Can't use the Lemon law since the car would have to be not functioning for min of 30 days and the dealer given 4 chances to fix it first. It's just frustrating to see something so new already with rust. 

So the fix at no charge to me is going to be wire brush it off and spray paint it so it's not exposed.  I will probably get some retail undercote to spray on the more vulnerable parts myself.  For those wondering, I traded a 2017 Silverado 1500 for a 2021 Silverado 1500. I only had a 2wd and realized I need a 4wd after the 10 days of nonstop winter storms.  For the record, the same issue is occurring with the 2021 Fords. So lesson learned is I would check the undercarriage of brand new vehicle as well to determine if you want to buy or not.  Didn't think I had to with only 2 miles on it.  Thought this would only be an issue with used cars. The dealer is submitting the pictures to GM to push the issue further in hopes they will find a better solution.  So hopefully nothing more serious. I'll definitely keep an eye on it.

The 2021 Ford F150's are all rusting underneath.  I know you already have your answer but none of the rust in your pictures are harmful, just an eyesore.  Even if you wirebrush it off and spray it, the rust will come back.  You can really only spray the frame itself.  I would not coat the differentials or the driveshaft.  I am surprised the u-joints are rusting, they may have cut corners to save some money.

25 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

The 2021 Ford F150's are all rusting underneath.  I know you already have your answer but none of the rust in your pictures are harmful, just an eyesore.  Even if you wirebrush it off and spray it, the rust will come back.  You can really only spray the frame itself.  I would not coat the differentials or the driveshaft.  I am surprised the u-joints are rusting, they may have cut corners to save some money.

Does having the surface rust eventually give something to build on that could be more harmful? So the disk shown at the coupling could cause issues if sprayed with a rust preventative? 

9 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

Does having the surface rust eventually give something to build on that could be more harmful? So the disk shown at the coupling could cause issues if sprayed with a rust preventative? 

It will take a very long time for that rust to eat through that thick metal.  On the other hand if it were rust on the body panels yes it would eventually eat through.  I would still suggest to have it Rhino Lined or use a similar product if you will be taking your truck off road a lot for work/pleasure or you live near the coast or up north where there is a lot of salt.  For this reason I never buy cars that have spent time up North.  You can spray the disk if you would like, just make sure it the right type so you aren't respraying every month and make sure the dealership tells you which type of spray they are using.

Archived