I wish Bruce Pearl had at least half the sense of Saban

TexasTiger

14 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

Maybe he’s angling for a Fox News gig after this coming year. In any event, he’s creating recruiting challenges.

863D3FFF-1959-499F-A1EE-3572632310FC.jpeg

69B21D3B-5E84-4E6E-99FF-4EE37F9D21FD.jpeg

6585FFA1-B571-4CC2-A1C2-27EFDBA2D0DF.jpeg

F55DCA12-3788-421F-BD2C-A1B715AE93F9.jpeg

DEFD35A0-B048-457A-9D23-F3C0967524B4.jpeg

6DEBE64D-7933-4AFE-8695-1D67E4D6AED5.jpeg

Rock stars like Tim Scott, a black man, will be attacked by racist radicals. I'm happy to see coach speak up for a strong black man. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
  • Dislike 1

4 minutes ago, AUFAN78 said:

Rock stars like Tim Scott, a black man, will be attacked by racist radicals. I'm happy to see coach speak up for a strong black man. 

I’d rather our coaches keep their political affiliations to themselves. This isn’t a one off for Pearl. He spreads conspiracies and misinformation like a champ. We’ll probably never know who they are, but his tweeting will cost us recruits.

• Like 1

Just now, TexasTiger said:

I’d rather our coaches keep their political affiliations to themselves. This isn’t a one off for Pearl. He spreads conspiracies and misinformation like a champ. We’ll probably never know who they are, but his tweeting will cost us recruits.

I could agree with that. I won't argue that point as I don't follow CBP on Twitter.  

I do appreciate his support for a minority member of Congress that expresses sincerity over platitudes. Tim Scott got an A+ tonight. 

• Like 4
  • Dislike 1

15 minutes ago, AUFAN78 said:

I could agree with that. I won't argue that point as I don't follow CBP on Twitter.  

I do appreciate his support for a minority member of Congress that expresses sincerity over platitudes. Tim Scott got an A+ tonight. 

Context is key. A lot of Georgia folks are upset over new voting laws. Bruce essentially endorsed those tonight and downplayed the impact of racism. A lot of white folks love hearing that, but others are shaking their heads. Recruits will hear this. Agree with Pearl or not, it’s dumb to do. Zero upside.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TexasTiger said:

Context is key. A lot of Georgia folks are upset over new voting laws. Bruce essentially endorsed those tonight and told folks racism isn’t a problem. A lot of white folks love hearing that, but others are shaking their heads. Recruits will hear this.

Again I don't follow him, so I don't know precisely what he said nor the context.

Racism is a problem. Personally, I don't think it is covered accurately by our media and used more as a political weapon. Sen Scott addressed it appropriately.

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

2 minutes ago, AUFAN78 said:

Again I don't follow him, so I don't know precisely what he said nor the context.

Racism is a problem. Personally, I don't think it is covered accurately by our media and used more as a political weapon. Sen Scott addressed it appropriately.

I wouldn’t have posted on Scott’s speech if Pearl hadn’t tweeted. 

1 hour ago, AUFAN78 said:

Whether people agree with him or not really isn't the point. CBP is voluntarily walking onto potential landmines. 

• Like 4
  • Facepalm 1

12 minutes ago, AUDub said:

Whether people agree with him or not really isn't the point. CBP is voluntarily walking onto potential landmines. 

That’s the point. Unforced error. Placing his political priorities over the job paying him millions.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

19 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

That’s the point. Unforced error. Placing his political priorities over the job paying him millions.

Exactly. Needs to be more like Saban, whose politics are hard to get a handle on.

With the exception of one endorsement of a blue dog (Manchin) with whom he he has a prior personal connection, Saban avoids tipping his hand politically on anything that could possibly hurt him with regard to his J-O-B.

Edited by AUDub
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, AUDub said:

Exactly. Needs to be more like Saban, whose politics are hard to get a handle on.

With the exception of one endorsement of a blue dog (Manchin) with whom he he has a prior personal connection, Saban avoids tipping his hand politically on anything that could possibly hurt him with regard to his J-O-B.

Yep, and when Saban does do something (like marching with his players for BLM), it may anger a portion of the Alabama fan base for a short while, but increases his players and potential recruits opinions of him. 

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

I am not a regular on Twitter by any stretch, and just followed Bruce to see his comments. My goodness. I am thinking much of what he is throwing out there does not align with most of his players nor their families. Not the hardest of hard core right wing, but a very strong lean. It does align with the majority of the state of Alabama. 

Now, to his credit he did participate in the Black Lives Matter march and seemed to support the movement and his players. Saban lead the march in Tuscaloosa and appeared in an anti-racism video. He downplayed the political aspects and focused on helping his team become better, more successful people. 

Thankfully, Bruce is also a superior coach with a track record of getting players to the pros. If he posts on Twitter he should focus on that....JMHO

• Like 1

Only those who support the “right” ideology get a pass expressing their political views in sports. It’s their way or no way. Sports media will use their slant and torch those who do not share their ideology.

sad day in America once again 

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

36 minutes ago, autigeremt said:

Only those who support the “right” ideology get a pass expressing their political views in sports. It’s their way or no way. Sports media will use their slant and torch those who do not share their ideology.

Read the room. 

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

• 3 months later...
On 5/1/2021 at 12:17 PM, tomcat said:

....Now, to his credit he did participate in the Black Lives Matter march and seemed to support the movement and his players. Saban lead the march in Tuscaloosa and appeared in an anti-racism video. He downplayed the political aspects and focused on helping his team become better, more successful people....

I had no idea that Saban was a violent rioter.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 4/28/2021 at 10:23 PM, TexasTiger said:

Maybe he’s angling for a Fox News gig after this coming year. In any event, he’s creating recruiting challenges.

863D3FFF-1959-499F-A1EE-3572632310FC.jpeg

69B21D3B-5E84-4E6E-99FF-4EE37F9D21FD.jpeg

6585FFA1-B571-4CC2-A1C2-27EFDBA2D0DF.jpeg

F55DCA12-3788-421F-BD2C-A1B715AE93F9.jpeg

DEFD35A0-B048-457A-9D23-F3C0967524B4.jpeg

6DEBE64D-7933-4AFE-8695-1D67E4D6AED5.jpeg

it might be nice to see just what tim scott. i have no way of knowing either way.

here is the thing. i will not hate a certain beer because they are right wing. i will not hate certain movies or songs because they might slip in a political statement. hell if we boycotted this or that because of politics what do we have left? think i am going to refuse a chick fil a because it is a super christian chain? there is too much meanness in politics anymore and i am just about sick of it. i might not buy the creepy looking guys pillow because he is trying to help overthrow a legit election. but this do not  support this or do not support that. i am not going to support pro sports because of yadayadayada as well. it used to be we could agree to disagree and still buy stuff which helps support the economy by the way. things change all the time and sometimes not. it started happening before trump but he has made it worse. people are too quick to hate things anymore and it is killing this country.

On 4/29/2021 at 1:23 AM, TexasTiger said:

Possibly except for the millions, this reminds me of small business owners who put political signs in their windows - or during Obama's term - racist cartoons on their walls.

Edited by homersapien

On 5/5/2021 at 10:01 PM, autigeremt said:

Exactly why a college coach should avoid political posts on twitter.

And sports media isn't the problem, they would only be committing the same error if they highlighted it, since their business is reporting on sports, not politics. 

It's everyone else, who are presumably, CBPs target audience.

Edited by homersapien

4 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

here is the thing. i will not hate a certain beer because they are right wing. i will not hate certain movies or songs because they might slip in a political statement. hell if we boycotted this or that because of politics what do we have left? think i am going to refuse a chick fil a because it is a super christian chain? there is too much meanness in politics anymore and i am just about sick of it. i might not buy the creepy looking guys pillow because he is trying to help overthrow a legit election. but this do not  support this or do not support that. i am not going to support pro sports because of yadayadayada as well. it used to be we could agree to disagree and still buy stuff which helps support the economy by the way. things change all the time and sometimes not. it started happening before trump but he has made it worse. people are too quick to hate things anymore and it is killing this country.

I hear ya Fifty, but I am just the opposite.

I wouldn't drink Coors beer, even if I liked it.  I don't buy Koch products, I avoid Home Depot and I would never buy a "My Pillow". 

I'll be damned if I'm willing to support fascists.  I guess you are just a better man than me. ;)

Edited by homersapien
  • Like 1