Supreme Court Slaps Down the NCAA Unanimously

AUGoo

5 hours ago, AU9377 said:

The NCAA didn't really fight this in any substantive way.  Congress will, at some point, pass an exemption to anti trust laws for collegiate athletics.  As much as I have despised the NCAA at times, there has to be an organization in control with everyone operating under a single set of rules.  If that is not in place, collegiate sports as we know them will be riddled with corruption to an extent never seen.  That would choke the life out of athletic departments across the country and young men and women will suffer as a result.  Some will get paid, but the majority that would have received the benefits of a free education and being admitted to schools that they would have never been admitted to without their athletic ability will be pushed out.

Sounds like the NCAA wants to defer all of this to individual conferences which will be very problematic. I just don’t trust the NCAA at all 

9 hours ago, jluvah said:

A 100,000.00 scholarship should be a lot for someone who came from nothing,too, clown. I read the context of the message and your comparing A-rod with a college player was ridiculous. #neverenough

Why is every football player poor?

1 minute ago, DAG said:

This guy is comparing 100k scholarship which is not accurate to a multimillion dollar business. Clueless. Not worth the debate.

I've never seen him post here and he's coming in pretty hot.  I don't get the mindset of certain people.  I'd love to be able to dictate what some of these people earn & see how they feel. 

Why is it so against belief that college kids can get a little money?  feel like some people feel inferior to professional athletes in terms of stature and earnings, which is why they hate the game.  They can't bring themselves to being out earned by a 20 year old that plays for the school they got a degree from in the 50s

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

I've never seen him post here and he's coming in pretty hot.  I don't get the mindset of certain people.  I'd love to be able to dictate what some of these people earn & see how they feel. 

Why is it so against belief that college kids can get a little money?  feel like some people feel inferior to professional athletes in terms of stature and earnings, which is why they hate the game.  They can't bring themselves to being out earned by a 20 year old that plays for the school they got a degree from in the 50s

I get feeling like you are losing that amateurism feeling but come on things have been this way since the freaking 80s . It was just hidden under the table. Ppl really think a full scholarship is equivalent to what people like RG3, Cam Newton and Johnny football have done for their schools?! Like I said the fact that we paid our coach multimillion dollars to leave tells you there is a lot to go around.

20 hours ago, W.E.D said:

I didn't say they get nothing, they just get very little for the comparative revenues they bring in.  They essentially fund the entire AD and other sport's scholarships and make coaches extremely wealthy.

Everyone gets a cut except the players.  They only get connections and bootstraps

To be fair, they get tuition, room and board, professional strength and conditioning & a cost of attendance stipend that is over $1,000 a month.  Therefore, they already get around $50,000 worth of compensation that the average student does not get.  Many of them get something that is much more valuable than anything mentioned.  Many get accepted to the university as the result of their athletic ability.  The average high school graduate in Alabama with a 2.5 high school gpa and below average ACT/SAT score would not be accepted as part of the freshman class.  How much money would they spend to gain acceptance?  There is value in that benefit.

Having pointed that out, I have no issue with the players receiving additional compensation, but it must be uniform and regulated.  The idea that they don't receive anything or much of anything as it is just doesn't hold up when we look at what is actually taking place.

I also believe that coaching salaries are out of control.  A position coach making $600,000/yr is silly on many levels.  Spending by athletic departments is also in dire need of an injection of realism.  Spending as though it grows on trees always comes back to haunt an organization at some point.

Edited by AU9377

1 minute ago, DAG said:

I get feeling like you are losing that amateurism feeling but come on things have been this way since the freaking 80s . It was just hidden under the table. Ppl really think a full scholarship is equivalent to what people like RG3, Cam Newton and Johnny football have done for their schools?! Like I said the fact that we paid our coach multimillion dollars to leave tells you there is a lot to go around.

Only certain types of people are allowed to cash in (coaches/ADs), while a certain type aren't allowed to make any money.

I have a hard time looking at the obvious majorities of both of those groups and think it can't be something along those lines.

But, what's wild is the fact a lot of these players are already making money and nothing has been ruined.  Manziel made 30k multiple times singing things.  Was football ruined 8 years ago when we was at A&M???  Cam most certainly got paid by Auburn, 100%.  I don't think Auburn was ruined nor these same ppl are against the 2010 season.  

College football players have been getting paid behind closed doors for a while.  Making it legal isn't going to destroy anything.  quit crying

1 minute ago, AU9377 said:

To be fair, they get tuition, room and board, professional strength and conditioning & a cost of attendance stipend that is over $1,000 a month.  Therefore, they already get around $50,000 worth of compensation that the average student does not get.  Many of them get something that is much more valuable than anything mentioned.  Many get accepted to the university as the result of their athletic ability.  The average high school graduate in Alabama with a 2.5 high school gpa and below average ACT/SAT score would not be accepted as part of the freshman class.  How much money would they spend to gain acceptance?  There is value in that benefit.

Having pointed that out, I have no issue with the players receiving additional compensation, but it must be uniform and regulated.  The idea that they don't receive anything or much of anything as it is just doesn't hold up when we look at what is actually taking place.

Nobody has came close to saying they don’t receive anything . What I am saying is they are in a multimillion dollar industry so that pales in comparison to what they do receive. The nursing program is not getting a 40 million dollar deal. If there are academic programs doing such things let me know and I will argue the same thing ! Get what you think you deserve. You can’t compare what the college athlete brings to the table in comparison to a collegiate student. Nobody is watching the med student perform in organic chem lab.

1 minute ago, AU9377 said:

Therefore, they already get around $50,000 worth of compensation that the average student does not get

First off, they aren't the average student so it really doesn't matter what they get

2 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

Many of them get something that is much more valuable than anything mentioned.  Many get accepted to the university as the result of their athletic ability.  The average high school graduate in Alabama with a 2.5 high school gpa and below average ACT/SAT score would not be accepted as part of the freshman class.  How much money would they spend to gain acceptance?  There is value in that benefit.

No one said they don't get anything.  They just don't get what they deserve.

I don't see why it has to be uniform.  Do you make the exact same as every other person who has your title?  I don't, I make more b/c I bring more to the table.  That's life.  Certain players are going to make more.  Upperclassmen are probably going to make more than a Tr Fr.  it's a good lesson in life. 

It's two fold.  Let NIL allow kids to make their own money.  Give 50k cash to every athlete.  The SEC is about to get 30mm more a year per team.  We've got the cash.  If we need more, cut coaches salaries.  They are beyond ridiculous

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, DAG said:

Nobody has came close to saying they don’t receive anything . What I am saying is they are in a multimillion dollar industry so that pales in comparison to what they do receive. The nursing program is not getting a 40 million dollar deal. If there are academic programs doing such things let me know and I will argue the same thing ! Get what you think you deserve. You can’t compare what the college athlete brings to the table in comparison to a collegiate student. Nobody is watching the med student perform in organic chem lab.

I get it, but they still have to be student athletes.  If they want to form a minor league, go for it, but as long as the team and league is part of the university, it cannot be run strictly as a business.

Just now, AU9377 said:

I get it, but they still have to be student athletes.  If they want to form a minor league, go for it, but as long as the team and league is part of the university, it cannot be run strictly as a business.

But it is a business. It became a business when we started building practice facilities for the football team only worth bunches. It became a business when students want to attend Auburn to experience Jordan hare . It became a business when you are paying average coaches 7 million dollars a year. To act like this is not a business is just plain fallacy my guy. So everybody else can treat this like the minor leagues but not the students? Why doesn’t the business professor make what assistant coaches are making if that is the case? What exactly academic does our linebacker coach do?

3 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

First off, they aren't the average student so it really doesn't matter what they get

No one said they don't get anything.  They just don't get what they deserve.

I don't see why it has to be uniform.  Do you make the exact same as every other person who has your title?  I don't, I make more b/c I bring more to the table.  That's life.  Certain players are going to make more.  Upperclassmen are probably going to make more than a Tr Fr.  it's a good lesson in life. 

It's two fold.  Let NIL allow kids to make their own money.  Give 50k cash to every athlete.  The SEC is about to get 30mm more a year per team.  We've got the cash.  If we need more, cut coaches salaries.  They are beyond ridiculous

What I mean by uniform is that every school has to be governed by the same set of guidelines.  We cannot endorse bidding on athletes.  I realize that some get under the table money now, but the vast majority do not. My best friend's son plays OL at Memphis.  He could have chosen from 10 other schools and was recruited hard by Ga Tech, SMU and similar schools.  He was never offered a thing other than a scholarship.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

What I mean by uniform is that every school has to be governed by the same set of guidelines.  We cannot endorse bidding on athletes.  I realize that some get under the table money now, but the vast majority do not. My best friend's son plays OL at Memphis.  He could have chosen from 10 other schools and was recruited hard by Ga Tech, SMU and similar schools.  He was never offered a thing other than a scholarship.

And possibly now , he can earn some money in addition to the scholarship. Good for him. If someone wants to pay him for his autograph that is no reason why he shouldn’t be able to do that . Or pay him to to teach or speak at a camp..the ncaa shouldn’t get in the way of that. 

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

But it is a business. It became a business when we started building practice facilities for the football team only worth bunches. It became a business when students want to attend Auburn to experience Jordan hare . It became a business when you are paying average coaches 7 million dollars a year. To act like this is not a business is just plain fallacy my guy. So everybody else can treat this like the minor leagues but not the students? Why doesn’t the business professor make what assistant coaches are making if that is the case? What exactly academic does our linebacker coach do?

As long as the name Auburn University is attached to the athletic department, the players are students first.  That won't change. It would be a disservice to the players for that to change.  Does it seem like that is the case 100% of the time?  No, but it has to be the mission of the university for that to be the case.  It won't bother me in the least if someone establishes a G league for football.  The reason that hasn't been done is that the league realizes the role that education plays in the development of future players.  The maturity that comes with that is critical.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

And possibly now , he can earn some money in addition to the scholarship. Good for him. If someone wants to pay him for his autograph that is no reason why he shouldn’t be able to do that . Or pay him to to teach or speak at a camp..the ncaa shouldn’t get in the way of that. 

I agree with that, provided that they are actually paying him for those actions and not simply using it as a front to funnel money.

6 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

As long as the name Auburn University is attached to the athletic department, the players are students first.  That won't change. It would be a disservice to the players for that to change.  Does it seem like that is the case 100% of the time?  No, but it has to be the mission of the university for that to be the case.  It won't bother me in the least if someone establishes a G league for football.  The reason that hasn't been done is that the league realizes the role that education plays in the development of future players.  The maturity that comes with that is critical.

Bro , that is like saying as long as your name is tied to a church , you are still a Christian but if you ain’t doing the works of Christ , it don’t matter if you are tied to the church or not. You are arguing they are student’s first which is false . Majorly false. They are not treated like the normal student . Cam Newton , whom I love, got lots of chances because he was a 6”6 beast. Most regular students don’t get that redeeming story , the same goes with NM. So to act like they are students first is the biggest problem. They are not just like coaches aren’t academic advisors. 

25 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Cam most certainly got paid by Auburn, 100%.

Wrong! The investigators spent six months on the AU campus trying to find something. There was nothing. Since a negative cannot be proved, certain people can get away with saying Cam got paid, but he didn't.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Cam most certainly got paid by Auburn, 100%.  I don't think Auburn was ruined nor these same ppl are against the 2010 season.  

You have no idea what your talking about. Players do get paid but Cam was not one of them this time. I promise you that.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, DAG said:

Bro , that is like saying as long as your name is tied to a church , you are still a Christian but if you ain’t doing the works of Christ , it don’t matter if you are tied to the church or not. You are arguing they are student’s first which is false . Majorly false. They are not treated like the normal student . Cam Newton , whom I love, got lots of chances because he was a 6”6 beast. Most regular students don’t get that redeeming story , the same goes with NM. So to act like they are students first is the biggest problem. They are not just like coaches aren’t academic advisors. 

It really isn't the same.  The athletic dept is part of the university.  Treatment doesn't have to be the same to be fair. Cam took classes and actually returned to school to finish his degree.  For every Cam, there are hundreds of scholarship student athletes that will never play pro ball.  What many of them will have is a degree that can provide a sense of self worth for a lifetime.  Many will be the first college educated member of their family. That changes communities and is just as real as a guy that signs a big contract with a pro team.

Honestly, I see the opportunities provided by the athletic department to be a crucial part of the mission of the university. We cannot discount the good that comes from education.  That education includes more than just what is in a textbook.

Edited by AU9377
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

It really isn't the same.  The athletic dept is part of the university.  Treatment doesn't have to be the same to be fair. Cam took classes and actually returned to school to finish his degree.  For every Cam, there are hundreds of scholarship student athletes that will never play pro ball.  What many of them will have is a degree that can provide a sense of self worth for a lifetime.  Many will be the first college educated member of their family. That changes communities and is just as real as a guy that signs a big contract with a pro team.

Honestly, I see the opportunities provided by the athletic department to be a crucial part of the mission of the university. We cannot discount the good that comes from education.  That education includes more than just what is in a textbook.

My point is the average student doesn’t get multiple chances that Cam got. Therein lies the difference. And I am glad Cam got his degree AFTER he made it to the pros. I am not talking about all the other student athletes . I am talking about the elite athletes who make the school millions. Why can’t people stay in context with points being made? Johnny football was just not a typical student athlete. His signature was worth thousands of dollars . He could’ve easily made six figures just off that. Therefore , the fans, coaches, ncaa shouldn’t prohibit him for doing so, especially since he is making them millions. I am not talking about Jim bob cooter who probably won’t make a single dime off of his likeness, but with this he might be able to make a little change on the side and that is okay. I am talking about the individuals who shift the needle. 

https://247sports.com/college/auburn/Article/Details-of-Gus-Malzahns-new-49-million-contract-buyout-bonuses-114728405/

I hope people look at this crap. Why does he get an incentive for keeping APR up? Aren’t you obligated to do that 

Another thing that is a joke is the bonuses coaches get for winning Bowl games or getting to the playoffs . I think Gus had in his contract that he would get a 250k bonus if he got to the playoffs and 500k for a national title appearance . But the kids should be happy with swag bags 

giphy.gif?cid=5e214886gnjrkoswwcjhagqd42

Edited by DAG

And btw , while we are on Cam getting paid or not, I don’t even care. His dad knew his worth because he is not a “typical “ student athlete 

51 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Wrong! The investigators spent six months on the AU campus trying to find something. There was nothing. Since a negative cannot be proved, certain people can get away with saying Cam got paid, but he didn't.

44 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

You have no idea what your talking about. Players do get paid but Cam was not one of them this time. I promise you that.

Yes, we did a great job of hiding they money and blocking the NCAA

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 2

14 minutes ago, DAG said:

And btw , while we are on Cam getting paid or not, I don’t even care. His dad knew his worth because he is not a “typical “ student athlete 

Yeah, it's just part of the game.  Don't care one bit.  We one, got him, and won a natty.  That's what matters

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Schitts Creek Reaction GIF by CBC

I mean, before the UGA game we essentially told the NCAA to go f'k themselves and it worked.