Auburn incoming freshman earns spot on U.S. Olympic team

augolf1716

8 hours ago, AUBwins said:

Sounds like we will have her for at least a year (the really good opportunity spooks me a little to be confident in more than that). But she seems well grounded and I bet college is important with her upbringing.

This could be a Skinner type of situation in 2024. She might decide to defend her gold medal in Paris. In this case she most likely would have to take a year off during the olympic year. Anyways, we would still have current international elites Olivia Greaves and Lyden Saltness on the roster and be quite competitive in the SEC. I would love to see Suni to compete in Paris and win a few more medals - along with Konnor (who could be an incoming Auburn freshman in 2024). 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, AUreo said:

This could be a Skinner type of situation in 2024. She might decide to defend her gold medal in Paris. In this case she most likely would have to take a year off during the olympic year. Anyways, we would still have current international elites Olivia Greaves and Lyden Saltness on the roster and be quite competitive in the SEC. I would love to see Suni to compete in Paris and win a few more medals - along with Konnor (who could be an incoming Auburn freshman in 2024). 

I sure do hope that is the case!

18 hours ago, AUreo said:

After all the pressure and results surrounding Biles, I can see where Suni relishes a little normalcy by going off to a small college. As she said, college IS her vacation. So it sounds like unless she is pressured to do more PR, etc...then I expect her to enjoy just being a college student...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, steeleagle said:

After all the pressure and results surrounding Biles, I can see where Suni relishes a little normalcy by going off to a small college. As she said, college IS her vacation. So it sounds like unless she is pressured to do more PR, etc...then I expect her to enjoy just being a college student...

Let’s see but Suni already confirmed to a NY Times journalist that she is planning to join parts of the Simone Biles “Gold over America tour” later this year and Paris 2024 is definitely an option. Madison Kocian went straight to UCLA after winning team gold in Rio and also attended Golden Globes, MLB games, etc…(and she did not win AA gold which is the most prestigious medal), so I wouldn’t be shocked if Suni ends up attending these kinds of events and various Late night talk shows (Fallon, etc)…would be huge publicity for AU and technically still off-season.

1 hour ago, AUreo said:

Way to go Suni! She now has a full collection with an apparatus to go on beam to try to add a medal.  She got the Gold in the hardest one.  Money aside, I'd almost prefer to at least have 1 of each lol.  She has been great! Also a shout out to Skinner, whom thought she was going home only to finally win a medal.  Took Silver in Vault.  

2 hours ago, AUBwins said:

Way to go Suni! She now has a full collection with an apparatus to go on beam to try to add a medal.  She got the Gold in the hardest one.  Money aside, I'd almost prefer to at least have 1 of each lol.  She has been great! Also a shout out to Skinner, whom thought she was going home only to finally win a medal.  Took Silver in Vault.  

I read some stuff on Skinner. What a way to end her career. She's had a tough road to go over the years. ANd to overcome Covid earlier this year, still make the team, barely, and then win silver, after Biles dropped out. She did well...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, steeleagle said:

I read some stuff on Skinner. What a way to end her career. She's had a tough road to go over the years. ANd to overcome Covid earlier this year, still make the team, barely, and then win silver, after Biles dropped out. She did well...

Yes, Skinner deserves this and worked very hard for it!

4 hours ago, AUreo said:

Suni did not medal today. Nevertheless, she is the most decorated Female Gymnast of the Tokyo Games :)

Hard to beat those Chinese girls on beam. They have historically been good there.  They are so light and flexible.  Suni admitted to being a little distracted since winning the all around.  She's probably tired.  Now she can come home and "relax" in college.  

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

Hard to beat those Chinese girls on beam. They have historically been good there.  They are so light and flexible.  Suni admitted to being a little distracted since winning the all around.  She's probably tired.  Now she can come home and "relax" in college.  

That's the way I saw it. Add in the pressure on her and the others after Biles withdrew on all but the beam, and I think Lee just couldn't peak anymore, and all the emotions of winning the all round, the interviews, etc just mentally probably cost her her sharpness in the other events she performed in.

And just missed winning 4 medals that would have put her in elite gymnastics company in its history.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, steeleagle said:

That's the way I saw it. Add in the pressure on her and the others after Biles withdrew on all but the beam, and I think Lee just couldn't peak anymore, and all the emotions of winning the all round, the interviews, etc just mentally probably cost her her sharpness in the other events she performed in.

And just missed winning 4 medals that would have put her in elite gymnastics company in its history.

2024 is likely she will be the face of the team unless Biles returns.  But she would have prepared for that, especially against the gym juggernaut in SEC.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AUBwins said:

2024 is likely she will be the face of the team unless Biles returns.  But she would have prepared for that, especially against the gym juggernaut in SEC.

College Gymnastics is about to explode. This is an insane incoming freshman class boasting many Olympians, World Champions,etc: 

https://collegegymnews.com/2021/08/03/most-anticipated-elite-freshmen-on-vault-2/

This is really exiting. I can’t wait to see all the NIL deals happening in the future. 

6 minutes ago, AUreo said:

Welcome home!

This just makes me so freaking happy to see. Love that girl.  Can't wait to see the gym meets. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, AUBwins said:

This just makes me so freaking happy to see. Love that girl.  Can't wait to see the gym meets. 

I wonder what the ticket sales look like now, after she elevated her profile winning the All-around, and now she is on campus.

It definitely has to lift the current gymnastic players for sure...

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

I wonder what the ticket sales look like now, after she elevated her profile winning the All-around, and now she is on campus.

Those Friday nights are going to be must see on the network. I just hope judges don't hurt her score by "expecting" greatness from her.  Not sure they would, but have heard that recently from Simone.  

8 hours ago, steeleagle said:

I think season tickets are already sold out? I heard the athletic dept received app 1,000 requests (within 24hrs) when Suni won gold (not sure if that's true). Auburn&Suni are going to sell out many SEC arenas in the coming years.

Edited by AUreo

7 hours ago, AUBwins said:

Those Friday nights are going to be must see on the network. I just hope judges don't hurt her score by "expecting" greatness from her.  Not sure they would, but have heard that recently from Simone.  

Fortunately, SEC is famous for "overscoring". Many non-SEC fans complain about it most of the time. Suni will probably score many Perfect10s during her college career...

I hope she will go for the 2024 Olympics though. Even though this means she won't be on the team in 2024. Olivia Greaves would have to lead the team then. Btw, Olivia is slowly coming back from her injury and there is a chance she will compete for the Team USA spot for the 2021 World Championships later this year. If she is healthy, she should have a decent chance making the team.

Edited by AUreo

1 hour ago, AUreo said:

I think season tickets are already sold out? I heard the athletic dept received app 1,000 requests (within 24hrs) when Suni won gold (not sure if that's true). Auburn&Suni are going to sell out many SEC arenas in the coming years.

I heard they were sold out for season tickets