Tony Fair

aubiefifty

al.com

Auburn’s Tony Fair ready ‘to take the head off the elephant’

By Mark Heim | mheim@al.com
2-3 minutes

Tony Fair, seen here with the UAB Blazers, took to social media over the weekend during an Auburn photoshoot. (UAB Athletics)

SEC Media Days start Monday, but it doesn’t mean it isn’t too early to throw down for this year’s annual game between Auburn and Alabama.

The Iron Bowl may not be until Nov. 27, but that didn’t stop Auburn’s Tony Fair from making his intentions known for the big game.

Fair - a 6-foot-3, 335-pound grad transfer from UAB in May - tweeted a video Sunday from Auburn’s photoshoot. He captioned the brief clip, “We comin to take the head off the elephant.”

Auburn is the fourth different program for Fair during his college career. He began his journey at FCS program Indiana State, where he redshirted as a freshman in 2015 and then sat out the 2016 season—serving as a team manager—due to what was originally believed to be a career-threatening injury. He returned to the field in 2017, transferring to Pima Community College in Arizona, where he totaled 144 tackles, including 10.5 for a loss and three sacks during his two-year stint at the JUCO. That included a whopping 25-tackle performance against Scottsdale Community College.

Fair then transferred to UAB, where he spent each of the last two seasons, appearing in 23 games for the Blazers, including three starts last season for the C-USA champs. During his first year with UAB, he finished with 36 tackles, including five for a loss, one sack and a pair of forced fumbles while picking up an All-Conference USA honorable mention nod. Last season he followed it up with 21 tackles, with three for a loss and one sack in nine games.

Fair picked Auburn from a final three that also included Ole Miss and Purdue.

Mark Heim is a sports reporter for The Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @Mark_Heim.

Talking s*** can come back to bite you, but I like the confidence.

Anyone heard how he's done with conditioning and weight loss?  I know he was trying to slim down a bit

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

Talking s*** can come back to bite you, but I like the confidence.

Anyone heard how he's done with conditioning and weight loss?  I know he was trying to slim down a bit

They beat our ass 42-13 last year. About time we have someone step up and get this team motivated. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

22 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

They beat our ass 42-13 last year. About time we have someone step up and get this team motivated. 

I agree now lets back it up and do it on the field. 

I am old school and always preferred that your play do the talking. That said I have mellowed over the years and I can say now that I love guys that that trash talk as long as they back it up on the field. One of my pet peeves is a player who is consistently getting beat and still talking trash then finally makes a play and act like he is best player on the field.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

I mean, talking s*** isn't really motivation.  Didn't we have someone talk s*** last year before maybe the UGA game and the got stomped.  Was it Bo?

Edit: It was Bo last year before the Bama game.  Not really as much "de-heading an elephant" but kinda some shade at Mac Jones

Edited by W.E.D

1 hour ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Don’t forget some of our guys laughing and cutting up with the Bama players in the second half. Beta culture. 

I want the Harsin program to come out and punch Bama and UGA in the mouth. Even if they lose, I want them to know they played a tough opponent. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Kind of agree, though it might be best to keep this motivation among the team and off the public space. 

• Like 1

• WarTiger changed the title to Tony Fair
3 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Any news on how he is doing?  Do you see him as a starter?  If I recall, he had motivation issues so I didn’t know if that has changed since this is his money year.  

3 hours ago, woodford said:

Don’t forget some of our guys laughing and cutting up with the Bama players in the second half. Beta culture. 

I want the Harsin program to come out and punch Bama and UGA in the mouth. Even if they lose, I want them to know they played a tough opponent. 

That was the attitude Pat Dye brought, even in his first year when they were still so far behind talent wise against Bama and UGA, they played hard and everyone took notice.

• Love 1

15 hours ago, rexbo said:

That was the attitude Pat Dye brought, even in his first year when they were still so far behind talent wise against Bama and UGA, they played hard and everyone took notice.

13 hours ago, jAUSon said:

It's time for that nonsense to end. Forever.

Our former coach really tarnished the program’s reputation. What an incredible opportunity Coach Harsin has. I know he’s dying to get out there. He knows the reward that is waiting on the other side.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 7/19/2021 at 11:55 AM, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Just like when Gus said “we whipped the dog crap out of them” after the UGA 17 regular season & they came back & whipped ours. Keep your mouth shut. Let your game do the talking. More times than not it comes back to bite you. 

• Love 1
  • Facepalm 1

2 hours ago, TAYLORKEETON said:

Just like when Gus said “we whipped the dog crap out of them” after the UGA 17 regular season & they came back & whipped ours. Keep your mouth shut. Let your game do the talking. More times than not it comes back to bite you. 

I agree. Guy not even on the team good and selling wolf tickets. If getting blasted by Bama last year and wanting to keep the home streak against them is not enough motivation. What is.