Kudos to McCreary

aubcali

9 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

People can bring up that most thought we didn't have a chance before and now want to complain about coaching..and that is fine. The two are not mutually exclusive.

I think the Defense rose up and played big boy football. An amazing performance from players and staff.

The offense was more putrid than I imagined. You're telling me a guy that has been in this league for how long coaching ...can't muster up 200 yards of offense? I get we had a gimpy quarterback. I do. But 159 yards?  

The part that really gets me is we had a great chance to seal the deal with a first down when we had the ball 3rd and 1 with around 1:45 left. Call your best 2 plays and go for the win. Don't call a slow developing handoff 5 yards deep when Bama is clearly sending the house up the middle. I hope to see an article that Bobo is out by end of the week...but I doubt it happens.

Totally agree. Your final paragraph is the sentiment that I'm getting a lot of flack for and can't understand why. Maybe it's too tough for people to handle that incompetence gave away a historic win. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Gonna miss him and Zakoby bad next year. Really bad. I don’t even want to think about it😭

Don't forget Chandler.   Dude played his tail off yesterday...all season for that matter.  So much leadership from that side of the ball, it's a little depressing thinking about it.  

I just feel terrible for them how the game ended.  They did all they could to win.  That last drive shouldn't have occurred at all.   Two plus minutes left on the board with one very stupid play call.  

Oh, and I can't forget the stripes and the questionable calls/no-calls in crucial situations.  I guess bama let the officials know if they see one of their DB's fall/flop, throw a flag cuz Auburn is holding.  Just feel terrible for the guys.

Edited by USATiger
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, fredst said:

Makes the post no less absurd. I understood the reference and had to respond to the absurdity 

So you’re an absurd responder. Congratulations.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Hank2020 said:

Curious that days leading up to this game most posters on this forum were just hopeful we looked decent in a loss for the recruits. Now (because we played so well) we are picking apart every play call to point out our coaching woes. I believe coaches and players gave us the best way to a win and we came up just a couple of plays short.

Honestly, I am still in that camp.  Anyone who watched this game should appreciate we had a better than even chance to win it.  I was fully expecting another A&M or MSU blow out in the second half.  (And I wouldn't have minded those losses so much had we looked more competent- after all, I was predicting 6-7 wins on the year. )  Anyway, I don't think this loss hurts us recruiting-wise, whereas another ugly loss would have. I think the juxtaposition of our performance in this game with the possibility of early playing time will be a net positive.

The current pain comes from losing to Bama in a game we 'coulda/shoulda' won.  That's a different kind of pain but it's certainly not as bad as mirroring the ineptness of some of our previous losses.

Edited by homersapien
  • Like 3

He gave up one pass after the injury that I remember, and I really can't blame the 2 pointer on him. I don't agree with that play call, especially with the formation Alabama brought. There was nothing McCreary could do being isolated with no inside help, not against a WR of that caliber. (Not criticizing Mason, just saying) 

I wish McCreary got his time as #1 with a CB2 as good as the predecessors had with him in that role. Would've been hellish for opposing QBs

Unless 36 or someone else takes a huge step, I think the string of instant starter caliber CBs gets broken. I'll leave judgement out there, and ol buddy isn't a terrible CB. He just hasn't shown the type of talent the Steele crop displayed in their first couple years. We'll see though!

18 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Unless 36 or someone else takes a huge step, I think the string of instant starter caliber CBs gets broken. I'll leave judgement out there, and ol buddy isn't a terrible CB. He just hasn't shown the type of talent the Steele crop displayed in their first couple years. We'll see though!

I think with the scheme we will be running with Mason we can get by with slightly less physically gifted CBs, or at least different skill sets than what Steele’s system demanded

• Like 1

6 hours ago, japantiger said:

Losing him and Smoke will be noticeable for next year.  Not sure there is that potential on the depth chart.  

I think we can mitigate Smoke's departure. We have some really good young safeties. I am excited about Reed's and Harvey's potential.

2 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I think we can mitigate Smoke's departure. We have some really good young safeties. I am excited about Reed's and Harvey's potential.

I've seen a lot of criticism of the starting safeties from other places - people upset that they're just standing around back there with their eyes on the QB all game instead of helping in coverage.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, AUght2win said:

I just didn't see a superior team in Alabama tonight. I still don't understand when people say this. Throw out the recruiting rankings. Where was their superiority exemplified? 

We kicked their ass up and down the field and it wasn't a fluke. We just gave this game to Bama.

Stop. Just stop. You're one of the guys beating the drum about recruiting rankings and how Harsin & staff isn't getting it done on the recruiting trail yet, when it suits you, we should toss the recruiting rankings. Cognitive dissonance much?

This staff has been in place ALMOST 12 months. Yeah, the current class is "underwhelming" but, for the love all that's holy put down your pitchfork & torch and give these guys a chance. The previous staff wasn't told to walk in a vacuum.

He played a great game and tweaked a hamstring right before OT. He was expecting the slant and so was I. They had thrown it before successfully. I wish we had the caliber of WRs that they have.