Jeff Schmedding Promoted to DC

Randman5000

From all accounts this guy is a really good defensive mind. I hope we will be able to attract enough good players to be successful. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, weagl1 said:

Meanwhile Saban and Kirby are flying all over the country in jets, helicopters and whatever else it takes to show up on the doorsteps of the best HS players in the country and inviting them to come be a part of their national championship winning programs.  

Star Trek Wow GIF

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, slyinsocal said:

Star Trek Wow GIF

image.gif.b404c0d553856459654a1c82440e3149.gif

• Like 1

3 hours ago, abw0004 said:

I don't know if he is obsessed with it, but per WDE he is not good at all with recruiting.  We will need Etheridge and Robinson to carry most of the weight if we want to continue recruiting well with Eason and Mason gone.

You might have this backwards.  😂  The potato gang is the term Harsin and Bobo referred to the PTB, his bosses.

Ah I thought Harsin and co was the potato gang lol whoops!

Either way, I'm excited to see what he can do with the defense.

18 hours ago, Randman5000 said:

Article on new DC. Some background here and philosophy for how he likes to run his defense. FYI

I wish someone had info on his actual technique and how he differs from MAson.

Will we be the same? Totally different? Are we going away from the 3-4 Mason used?

8 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

Will we be the same? Totally different? Are we going away from the 3-4 Mason used?

I feel certain that he still runs a 3-4. I mean he better...if Harsin changed coordinators and the entire scheme after one season.....not even going to go there. No coach would be that clueless to switch a team from a 4-3 to a 3-4 and then switch right back after 1 season. Pretty sure i've seen some stuff about Schmedding running a more "aggresive" version when compared to Mason. Not sure how much stock i put in that.....sure some coaches are more aggressive than others but i imagine situation and personel play more into desire to play aggressive versus an overall strategy. 

We've got to be saving a ton of money on Schmed and Davis, right??? I don't think I've seen contract numbers for either yet.

Maybe close to break even after Bobo's buyout of his ridiculous contract 

17 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

Looks like 3-4 was their base look at Boise? I think? 

https://www.idahopress.com/blueturfsports/football/countdown-to-camp-no-9-what-will-the-defense-look-like-under-schmedding/article_a582c872-241f-507f-a972-541fe520317d.html

https://theathletic.com/1080237/2019/07/17/boise-state-defensive-staff-jeff-schmedding/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

We've got to be saving a ton of money on Schmed and Davis, right??? I don't think I've seen contract numbers for either yet.

Maybe close to break even after Bobo's buyout of his ridiculous contract 

Put that money into the NIL for OL - that's all I got to say.

• Love 1

4 minutes ago, Beaker said:

Put that money into the NIL for OL - that's all I got to say.

Tell us you don;t understand NIL without telling us...

• Haha 2
  • Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

thanks. that makes sense.

ANd it relates to them hiring a LB coach from Florida to help work directly with that 3-4 LB scheme now that SChmeddling will need to work on scheme and coordinating the whole D.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gravejd said:

I feel certain that he still runs a 3-4. I mean he better...if Harsin changed coordinators and the entire scheme after one season.....not even going to go there. No coach would be that clueless to switch a team from a 4-3 to a 3-4 and then switch right back after 1 season. Pretty sure i've seen some stuff about Schmedding running a more "aggresive" version when compared to Mason. Not sure how much stock i put in that.....sure some coaches are more aggressive than others but i imagine situation and personel play more into desire to play aggressive versus an overall strategy. 

Whether it is true or not, just watching the ALabama game, it looked like we were super aggressive in our fronts, which caused their offense to be rushed more than they expected. 

The problem, is if you watched the 4th qtr, we ran out of gas. I saw the edges, and DTs walking around looking for a rest, and some wanting to come out, and the bench saying stay in. We were going to win with who was our best.

And they almost did it.

So that attack plan  may have been part of the rift that started it all between Harsin and Mason...

• Like 2

23 hours ago, steeleagle said:

The problem, is if you watched the 4th qtr, we ran out of gas. I saw the edges, and DTs walking around looking for a rest, and some wanting to come out, and the bench saying stay in. We were going to win with who was our best.

I think that would be the biggest complaint against Mason; not rotating DL especially. Plus the soft zone and no pressure. Hopefully all that changes. May give up more big plays, but we have to get off the field more frequently which will also help the offense get back on the field and sustain a rhythm.

• Like 1

Hmmm....

So Mason told Harsin he wanted to take a year off.  Harsin told him to address the team.  Harsin told all his players he wasn't taking another job and he was gonna catch his breath for a year.

Apparently the players believed him & a pretty pissed/hurt they lied to them.

Bruce Feldman on why Mason left AU:         
“Masons relationship with Harsin was very frosty and wasnt getting better. Sources told The Athletic Mason did not enjoy working with Harsin and wasnt going to stay regardless of whether he landed the Cowboys DC vacancy or not.”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, oracle79 said:

I think that would be the biggest complaint against Mason; not rotating DL especially. Plus the soft zone and no pressure. Hopefully all that changes. May give up more big plays, but we have to get off the field more frequently which will also help the offense get back on the field and sustain a rhythm.

Totally agree. Why would you not rotate more??? This is exactly why Pearl and the bball team are so successful right now. Sending the second wave in to keep a high level of disruption and energy goes a long way on any team. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CR said:

“Masons relationship with Harsin was very frosty and wasnt getting better. Sources told The Athletic Mason did not enjoy working with Harsin and wasnt going to stay regardless of whether he landed the Cowboys DC vacancy or not.”

Seems obvious  as far as his leaving regardless.

Edited by Hank2020

6 hours ago, oracle79 said:

The D was gassed in the 4th QTR  and going into OT I resigned myself to the L.   When we had a chance to go to for two and end the game with a more fresh O vs forcing a gassed D back onto the field I was disappointed in the decision.   

I do wish we had developed more players under Mason and I think our scheme put a lot of pressure on players that did not rotate as much as we used to.  

I am ok with him moving on, especially if there was friction on the staff.  

If they told half truth's to the players - that is garbage.   They could have done it with more class.  There is plenty of time to do things right, it's not like we are preparing for a game this week. 

Edited by Beaker
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, CR said:

Fits in line with the little gap of time between him leaving and that being announced. He probably was trying to fleece a bit more out of them to make it worth him not taking a break 

• Like 1

Harsin might be very unlikeable (I dunno) but he does have have a known commodity that DOES like him. Might as well have that guy at DC.

idk if there’s value in getting someone that’s way better if they don’t work with the HC

7 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

idk if there’s value in getting someone that’s way better if they don’t work with the HC

At this point, I'm willing to believe that Schmedding will be a more valuable game day coach. But that really, truly doesn't matter if we don't get the talent, and it is unlikely that we didn't just downgrade significantly in that area. 

This is akin to when Muschamp and TRob left, except there's no Super Rodney to save the day. 

• Like 1