Jeff Schmedding Promoted to DC

Randman5000

18 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Hmmm....

So Mason told Harsin he wanted to take a year off.  Harsin told him to address the team.  Harsin told all his players he wasn't taking another job and he was gonna catch his breath for a year.

Apparently the players believed him & a pretty pissed/hurt they lied to them.

Info from which rumor board/site?

20 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

Info from which rumor board/site?

Directly from players twitter accounts.  

deleted.thumb.png.7ca8441903485c806f9b902dc2df52f9.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Not sure why this is a big deal.   Coaches are always lying.   “Remove me in a pine box”, “I’m not coaching at Alabama “, the list is long of coaches saying one thing and turning around and doing something totally different 

• Like 1

Sure a powerhouse resume DC of FCS Eastern Washington and at Boise.  When he comes to facing SEC offenses I am sure he glad he can simply his defenses over those he had to stop those NFL offenses they run in the FCS.  Boy is this Gus 2.0.

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

27 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

Not sure why this is a big deal.   Coaches are always lying.   “Remove me in a pine box”, “I’m not coaching at Alabama “, the list is long of coaches saying one thing and turning around and doing something totally different 

Seems to have made an impression on the players. I’m sure didn’t bother Harsin and company.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Carnell said:

Sure a powerhouse resume DC of FCS Eastern Washington and at Boise.  When he comes to facing SEC offenses I am sure he glad he can simply his defenses over those he had to stop those NFL offenses they run in the FCS.  Boy is this Gus 2.0.

Not a whole lot going on in the SEC that is special schematically. It's mostly that we're doing it with better players. 

Not saying that Schmedding is necessarily great and I am also concerned (again, after temporarily having my concerns mitigated with the Austin Davis hire) about Harsin getting too insular with his hires. But put a lot of G5 (not FCS... ?)  coaches would do just fine dialing it up against SEC coaches if they had the same talent available. 

Having that same talent available... that's the big concern with replacing a Derek Mason with a Jeff Schmedding. We were halfway to a yes as soon as Mason sat on a recruit's sofa. Schmedding isn't going to give us that. But maybe he can get there. 

The good news is that Mason did leave a lot of talent behind and Schmed is going to have a golden opportunity to field a better defense than we've had in a couple years, show he's got the chops, and put some players in the draft. That would speak volumes to recruits.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Not a whole lot going on in the SEC that is special schematically. It's mostly that we're doing it with better players. 

Not saying that Schmedding is necessarily great and I am also concerned (again, after temporarily having my concerns mitigated with the Austin Davis hire) about Harsin getting too insular with his hires. But put a lot of G5 (not FCS... ?)  coaches would do just fine dialing it up against SEC coaches if they had the same talent available. 

Having that same talent available... that's the big concern with replacing a Derek Mason with a Jeff Schmedding. We were halfway to a yes as soon as Mason sat on a recruit's sofa. Schmedding isn't going to give us that. But maybe he can get there. 

The good news is that Mason did leave a lot of talent behind and Schmed is going to have a golden opportunity to field a better defense than we've had in a couple years, show he's got the chops, and put some players in the draft. That would speak volumes to recruits.

Everyone started somewhere. No one started as DC at SEC. He seems to have moved forward and up (responsibility) at each move except when he followed Harsin to a position coach from DC at BSU.

• Like 1

Bottomline is we now have both OC and DC who are not yet SEC proven with experience. Time will tell and I hope it works out for everyone. There are many cases where it has and has not.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, McLoofus said:

At this point, I'm willing to believe that Schmedding will be a more valuable game day coach. But that really, truly doesn't matter if we don't get the talent, and it is unlikely that we didn't just downgrade significantly in that area. 

This is akin to when Muschamp and TRob left, except there's no Super Rodney to save the day. 

I get that, but all it’s going to result in is mass attrition if we got another legitimately proven coordinator and he left after having a spat with this guy. Some folks are just not able to work with everyone, and I don’t think we should just keep digging through options that should work when we have one that will work. Recruiting may suck, but at least the guys that’ll come will be assured of continuity 

I dunno, we’re pretty much nearing lose-lose territory with this flurry of coaching replacements. I certainly don’t have the answers on what to do 😂 Just trying to be an optimist

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I get that, but all it’s going to result in is mass attrition if we got another legitimately proven coordinator and he left after having a spat with this guy. Some folks are just not able to work with everyone, and I don’t think we should just keep digging through options that should work when we have one that will work. Recruiting may suck, but at least the guys that’ll come will be assured of continuity 

I dunno, we’re pretty much nearing lose-lose territory with this flurry of coaching replacements. I certainly don’t have the answers on what to do 😂 Just trying to be an optimist

Yep. That's pretty much the long and short of it.

Hopefully Austin Davis buys all the way in and gives us a lift. 

• Love 1

I will say, if Mason took it on himself to either lie or not tell the whole truth, and didn’t just say “yeah I just don’t like your head coach”, I do think he helped immensely there. For the core that does want to be here, I don’t think they need to have one small camp of players dissing the HC and then having a coach leave right after that.

not saying he’s a martyr, but that’s how I’ve viewed what’s occurred 

Edited by Dual-Threat Rigby

1 hour ago, aubaseball said:

Agree but Mason went out of his way that he wanted to address the players he was taking a break from college and would only accept a pro job. Then a few days later on to Okie St. Players are pissed rightly so

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Agree but Mason went out of his way that he wanted to address the players he was taking a break from college and would only accept a pro job. Then a few days later on to Okie St. Players are pissed rightly so

Yeah, it’s not a great look for Mason. Hell, according to reports, before Eason left, he confided in his players about it and got their feedback. 

Edited by Tiger Refuge
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Yeah, it’s not a great look for Mason. Hell, according to reports, before Eason left, he confided in his players about it and got their feedback. 

Man, that’s crappy.  Hopefully, this staff gels, they’re effective and some continuity can be established. 

4 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Don't disagree with most of what you are saying but the SEC as well as most teams in the power 5 conferences during blocking run twists which is not seen in the lesser conferences.  In addition, Bama runs timing routes which is not seen in the FCS and the PSU clearing routes that was run against us is not seen in the FCS.  I have only seen north Dokato state run misdirection.  In fact, Harsins now that he is at Auburn probably should have run some of these schemes especially misdirection considering the problems with our OL

3 minutes ago, Carnell said:

Don't disagree with most of what you are saying but the SEC as well as most teams in the power 5 conferences during blocking run twists which is not seen in the lesser conferences.  In addition, Bama runs timing routes which is not seen in the FCS and the PSU clearing routes that was run against us is not seen in the FCS.  I have only seen north Dokato state run misdirection.  In fact, Harsins now that he is at Auburn probably should have run some of these schemes especially misdirection considering the problems with our OL

But Schmedding isn't coming from FCS. He's coming from one of the top G5 FBS programs.

3 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Sounds like the typical huge ego coach.

On 1/27/2022 at 12:22 AM, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Harsin might be very unlikeable (I dunno) but he does have have a known commodity that DOES like him. Might as well have that guy at DC.

idk if there’s value in getting someone that’s way better if they don’t work with the HC

That could have been the problem w ex HCs becoming coordinators right after their firings(Mason and Bobo). 
Add in a strongminded Boss in Harsin and he didn’t get what he expected out of them so he told them to go. 

• Like 1

All of Harsin's moves post-season point to a quite long-term rebuild and a Malzahn-era level learning curve. It's a heck of a gamble to make in this league, but again...maybe Auburn is backing him in this. We'll find out, but I suspect we've got some growing pains ahead of us we haven't felt in a long time. 

19 hours ago, Carnell said:

On the other hand Bo Pelini and Todd Grantham have extensive SEC experience yet both were fired for being bad at their job. No reason Schmedding shouldn’t have his shot. 

• Like 2