Jeff Schmedding Promoted to DC

Randman5000

15 hours ago, boisnumber1 said:

Sounds like the typical huge ego coach.

I don’t see Harsin as a ego stroker 😂

I would also guess that the connection between Harsin and Schmed didn’t give Mason the warm and fuzzies. 

I’m still of the belief that just pull 2 more wins out of those last 5 games and everything in this program looks vastly different right now. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Gowebb11 said:

On the other hand Bo Pelini and Todd Grantham have extensive SEC experience yet both were fired for being bad at their job. No reason Schmedding shouldn’t have his 

That is pretty irrational decision making process.  Because pelini failed and Grantham failed let's turn our defense over to a 15 year coaching veteran of the FCS.  

1 hour ago, JBiGGiE said:

Some of y'all need to turn that SEC Network off.

There is nothing about the game of football that is different in the SEC than any other conference at the college level. Recruiting? Sure. Competition week-to-week? Absolutely. But believe it or not, the SEC ain't THAT special.

Is Pete Golding changing the game over at Alabama? Barry Odom at Arkansas? DJ Durkin while at Ole Miss?

Would Brent Venables have flamed out if he were hired at an SEC school because of his lack of SEC experience? Or Luke Fickell?

X's and O's are X's and O's. Or do I need to refer to this year's SEC bowl record. How'd all that SEC experience fair?

First of all power 5 conferences do play a different game.  Malzahn didn't just do away with his hurry up no huddle offense.  The DCs started running presnap shifts and changing coverages that were above his ability to recognize the scheme and he more often came up with the handoff in the zone read or the bubble screen as the play.

I wish one of you on this board would tell  me why going down to get a coach is better than a lateral or a upward move.  

I put all power 5 conferences equally in schemes including the SEC.  But I think the SEC with better coaching and talent is capable of executing the scheme.  

So go back and look at Odum and Durkins resume.  In addition, look at who Golding has mentoring him at Alabama.  And 3rd he has not set the world on fire while he he has been at Bama.  So much so Bama fans were calling for his head earlier this year.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Carnell said:

First of all power 5 conferences do play a different game.  Malzahn didn't just do away with his hurry up no huddle offense.  The DCs started running presnap shifts and changing coverages that were above his ability to recognize the scheme and he more often came up with the handoff in the zone read or the bubble screen as the play.

I wish one of you on this board would tell  me why going down to get a coach is better than a lateral or a upward move.  

I put all power 5 conferences equally in schemes including the SEC.  But I think the SEC with better coaching and talent is capable of executing the scheme.  

So go back and look at Odum and Durkins resume.  In addition, look at who Golding has mentoring him at Alabama.  And 3rd he has not set the world on fire while he he has been at Bama.  So much so Bama fans were calling for his head earlier this year.

I certainly agree they have better players. And surely have some good coaches, and some excellent ones, but also some poor ones as many get fired each year. SEC hasn’t cornered the market on coaches although some believe they have cornered the market on players.

11 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

some believe they have cornered the market on players.

It's all about geography. 

There's at least anecdotal evidence that high school football in Houston started getting a lot more competitive after Hurricane Katrina just because so many Louisiana kids relocated there. 

The talent grows up in the south and most of it isn't going to ship off to different time zones and climates to play sports. And it is "sports" and not just football. I really don't see how it reverses course. 

So was Mason’s issue at Vandy coaching acumen or lack of players. If Mason can do better with access to better players (Auburn) can Schmedding do the same? Or his failure already determined because he came for MW, after time in the FCS. If the man can coach he can coach. Let’s see what he can do.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

It's all about geography. 

There's at least anecdotal evidence that high school football in Houston started getting a lot more competitive after Hurricane Katrina just because so many Louisiana kids relocated there. 

The talent grows up in the south and most of it isn't going to ship off to different time zones and climates to play sports. And it is "sports" and not just football. I really don't see how it reverses course. 

Yes and SEC gets more than half of top players ( 2019- almost 60% went to SEC). (These are 5* numbers for instance.

Edited by Hank2020

34 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

So was Mason’s issue at Vandy coaching acumen or lack of players. If Mason can do better with access to better players (Auburn) can Schmedding do the same? Or his failure already determined because he came for MW, after time in the FCS. If the man can coach he can coach. Let’s see what he can do.

He did OK with some of Franklin's leftovers, but the entire team got really awful as he progressed through his tenure.  Vandy is a hard job, but he was bad.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Carnell said:

That is pretty irrational decision making process.  Because pelini failed and Grantham failed let's turn our defense over to a 15 year coaching veteran of the FCS.  

Not irrational at all. What is irrational is to cherry pick his resume and not mention his success as DC of a 12-2 FBS team and his year of SEC experience. Oklahoma DC Alex Grinch rose from the FCS ranks as did Chip Kelly on the offensive side. There are many other examples. 

Edited by Gowebb11
  • Thanks 1

I think the SEC experience matters but is not imperative.    I know this is a different era of football, but Pat Dye was never a coordinator before he became a HC.   And Schmedding  was on staff last year.   He saw everything first hand and was scheming last year.  

Personally, I wished the Mason thing had worked out, but  he seemed awfully headstrong  not playing to the secondary's strengths early on. An argument could be made that with some very slight changes at half, we could have won the PSU game even without the O getting lucky with the failed fade route.   Remember that PSU QB came into the Auburn game as their weak link and we made him look like Bernie freaking Kosar, setting several PSU records that night.  That's on Mason...

Do I wish Schmedding had more SEC experience?  yes, but if he is worth his salt, he will  get the job done.  Harsin just bet his job on it most likely.  

Edited by Beaker

1 hour ago, Gowebb11 said:

Not irrational at all. What is irrational is to cherry pick his resume and not mention his success as DC of a 12-2 FBS team and his year of SEC experience. Oklahoma DC Alex Grinch rose from the FCS ranks as did Chip Kelly on the offensive side. There are many other examples. 

Grinch was a position coach (DBs) at Missouri (a team in a power 5 conference).  He mentored under Barry Odum before becoming a DC at a school in a power 5 conference.  Thank you for bringing up Chip Kelly.  If there was ever a Gus clone it would be him.  Like Gus he could out talent but not out coach opponents.  

I did not cherry pick I did not mention Schmedding DC at Boise because I did not give that any credit for his ability to be DC at Auburn.  Although Boise is an FBS school it is not in a power 5 conference. 

I think you are the one cherry picking by citing 1 or 2 examples of FCS and FBS coaches that come from the lesser conferences as evidence that these divisions and conferences produce coaches that can succeed as a coach at a school in a power 5 conference as just as  a coach already at a power 5 school. 

Edited by Carnell

18 minutes ago, Beaker said:

I think the SEC experience matters but is not imperative.    I know this is a different era of football, but Pat Dye was never a coordinator before he became a HC.   And Schmedding  was on staff last year.   He saw everything first hand and was scheming last year.  

Personally, I wished the Mason thing had worked out, but  he seemed awfully headstrong  not playing to the secondary's strengths early on. An argument could be made that with some very slight changes at half, we could have won the PSU game even without the O getting lucky with the failed fade route.   Remember that PSU QB came into the Auburn game as their weak link and we made him look like Bernie freaking Kosar, setting several PSU records that night.  That's on Mason...

Do I wish Schmedding had more SEC experience?  yes, but if he is worth his salt, he will  get the job done.  Harsin just bet his job on it most likely.  

Harsin's job is not a bet based on his DC hire.

Even with Mason last year, our offense couldn't match or exceed our D so we lost all those games. 

Harsin will survive if he can juice up he offense to find ways to win games in the 2nd half of games.

9 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

Even with Mason last year, our offense couldn't match or exceed our D so we lost all those games. 

Harsin will survive if he can juice up he offense to find ways to win games in the 2nd half of games.

Maybe 'the bet' comment is too far, but it's a very big deal.

And yeah, our O didn't pull it's end of the rope either.  90% of the PSU chatter after the game was on the targeting calls and O play calling, but I squarely believe that Mason deserves plenty of criticism for the PSU loss.  I said it that night and I say now.   That QB never looked anywhere close as good as Auburn made him look. 

2nd half of games...you know, I was sorely disappointed with the second half of Harsin's games.   I was accustomed to our team not doing well in the 2nd half as of late, but I thought last season would be different.   I didn't see Harsin talking much or hollering into the mic on his headset very much.  That seemed odd to me.

What is your take on that?

16 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

I agree to some aspect.  But as HC he is responsible for the overall success or failure.  He can improve the offense to where we are scoring 45 pt a game but if we lose the games 50 to 45 hw will still get fired.

24 minutes ago, Carnell said:

Grinch was a position coach (DBs) at Missouri (a team in a power 5 conference).  He mentored under Barry Odum before becoming a DC at a school in a power 5 conference.  Thank you for bringing up Chip Kelly.  If there was ever a Gus clone it would be him.  Like Gus he could out talent but not out coach opponents.  

I did not cherry pick I did not mention Schmedding DC at Boise because I did not give that any credit for his ability to be DC at Auburn.  Although Boise is an FBS school it is not in a power 5 conference. 

I think you are the one cherry picking by citing 1 or 2 examples of FCS and FBS coaches that come from the lesser conferences as evidence that these divisions and conferences produce coaches that can succeed as a coach at a school in a power 5 conference as just as  a coach already at a power 5 school. 

Ok. I think I JS will do well. You don’t. Time will tell.

31 minutes ago, Carnell said:

He mentored under Barry Odum before becoming a DC at a school in a power 5 conference. 

Sounds kind of like JS mentoring under Mason in the SEC. 🙂

Edited by Gowebb11
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

Sounds kind of like JS mentoring under Mason in the SEC. 🙂

Good point I will give that 1 year of mentoring under Mason a lot more credit a for preparing him to become DC at Auburn vs all of his other experience combined but still with only 1 year he is still not ready to be DC at Auburn.

On 1/27/2022 at 9:08 AM, Carnell said:

Sure a powerhouse resume DC of FCS Eastern Washington and at Boise.  When he comes to facing SEC offenses I am sure he glad he can simply his defenses over those he had to stop those NFL offenses they run in the FCS.  Boy is this Gus 2.0.

What's really weird is this. Kirby Smart and Will Muschamp both bounced around lower division football early in their careers. Places like Valdosta State, West Georgia, and Eastern Kentucky. Somehow, they managed to get D1 jobs, and actually excel. Remarkable. Isn't it?

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, slyinsocal said:

What's really weird is this. Kirby Smart and Will Muschamp both bounced around lower division football early in their careers. Places like Valdosta State, West Georgia, and Eastern Kentucky. Somehow, they managed to get D1 jobs, and actually excel. Remarkable. Isn't it?

No that is not remarkable at all.  If you look at the NFL some of their coaches got their start at the lesser dvisions.  They become position coaches and learn the upper level game from the coaches that have been there then the become OC DCs and HC after.   What would be remarkable is them going from Valdosta to OCs/DCs at schools in power 5 conference.

It's a slow Friday.  Auburn folks arguing over nothing really.

Until Jeffrey proves me wrong, he's the man! 

One thing I forgot:

he knows these players better than anyone and was in the coaches' room scheming against most of our opponents last year.   He has a lot of insight every outside hire would not have. 

(I didn't think of this myself.  CBH texted me this and asked me to make that point for him).  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Beaker said:

It's a slow Friday.  Auburn folks arguing over nothing really.

Until Jeffrey proves me wrong, he's the man! 

One thing I forgot:

he knows these players better than anyone and was in the coaches' room scheming against most of our opponents last year.   He has a lot of insight every outside hire would not have. 

(I didn't think of this myself.  CBH texted me this and asked me to make that point for him).  

Wow. You must be an insider!!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Carnell said:

Good point I will give that 1 year of mentoring under Mason a lot more credit a for preparing him to become DC at Auburn vs all of his other experience combined but still with only 1 year he is still not ready to be DC at Auburn.

I will concede that historically we have hired more experienced Power 5 coaches. The last few months have been an adjustment for all of us with these coaches. I just hope this staff succeeds. 

8 hours ago, Carnell said:

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to ...

• Like 1