Jeff Schmedding Promoted to DC

Randman5000

3 hours ago, slyinsocal said:

What's really weird is this. Kirby Smart and Will Muschamp both bounced around lower division football early in their careers. Places like Valdosta State, West Georgia, and Eastern Kentucky. Somehow, they managed to get D1 jobs, and actually excel. Remarkable. Isn't it?

And Eastern Washington IS a real FCS Powerhouse

They can play some big boy ball

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 1716AU said:

And Eastern Washington IS a real FCS Powerhouse

They can play some big boy ball

That blood red turf though ..

• Like 1

With defensive coordinator, I'd prefer a type that can inspire consistent excellence in recruiting high caliber players. Look at the impact Muschamps presense had on our recruiting in just the one year he was here. Kevin Steele, to me, continued that momentum being assisted by several star recruiters on the staff...Garner, Crime Dog, etc. I'm concerned Schmedding doesn't have that factor and we lost of the two assistants that did (lost Eason, retained Etheridge). To me, it's about recruiting first and foremost. I'm not as concerned about Schmeddings x's and o's

29 minutes ago, twilli13 said:

With defensive coordinator, I'd prefer a type that can inspire consistent excellence in recruiting high caliber players. Look at the impact Muschamps presense had on our recruiting in just the one year he was here. Kevin Steele, to me, continued that momentum being assisted by several star recruiters on the staff...Garner, Crime Dog, etc. I'm concerned Schmedding doesn't have that factor and we lost of the two assistants that did (lost Eason, retained Etheridge). To me, it's about recruiting first and foremost. I'm not as concerned about Schmeddings x's and o's

Agree that they need to recruit well.

On 1/29/2022 at 9:14 AM, twilli13 said:

I understand your point, but that really didn't happen under Steele. We consistently gave up over 45 points against Alabama his last three season, with the one year of 2017 when they were not that good offensively.  And his defenses were notorious for collapsing.

He is still the same fella that was BOMBED by WVU while at Clemson.

I just don't get the love fest with Steele.  Except for a few games, like LSU 2023, it was never a great defense. Never, and the recruiting really wasn't that great.  It was serviceable.

I honestly, since Dye arrived, do not remember a big-name DC, other than Brother Oliver, and that did us no good because he couldn't recruit worth a crap, that was very good. Not Roof, not Steele, nor Ellis Johnson.  But the no names were pretty damned good.  

I am as upset as anyone with what I percieve as poor management from the CEO, but I am willing to let him prove himself OR hang himself.

But, even though the INTENSITY is quite different in the SEC, Schmedding has proven to be a VERY good DC at Eastern Washington and Boise St.  And both are championship programs, regularly.

You really just don't lose that edge because of what a bunch of southerners think. Hopefully you learn and adapt to your advantage.

Edited by 1716AU
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, 1716AU said:

I understand your point, but that really didn't happen under Steele. We consistently gave up over 45 points against Alabama his last three season, with the one year of 2017 when they were not that good offensively.  And his defenses were notorious for collapsing.

He is still the same fella that was BOMBED by WVU while at Clemson.

I just don't get the love fest with Steele.  Except for a few games, like LSU 2023, it was never a great defense. Never, and the recruiting really wasn't that great.  It was serviceable.

I honestly, since Dye arrived, do not remember a big-name DC, other than Brother Oliver, and that did us no good because he couldn't recruit worth a crap, that was very good. Not Roof, not Steele, nor Ellis Johnson.  But the no names were pretty damned good.  

I am as upset as anyone with what I percieve as poor management from the CEO, but I am willing to let him prove himself OR hang himself.

But, even though the INTENSITY is quite different in the SEC, Schmedding has proven to be a VERY good DC at Eastern Washington and Boise St.  And both are championship programs, regularly.

You really just don't lose that edge because of what a bunch of southerners think. Hopefully you learn and adapt to your advantage.

Agree with most of your thoughts on many of our underwhelming DC’s. However SEC has no monopoly on intensity. If you’ve played the game you know once you get on the field at the DI level, that even a opposing player from a FIS school can knock all the spit out of your head.

Perhaps you’re referring to fan intensity, where in the SEC it is as good as it gets. But on the field, football is football, coaching or playing.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

5 minutes ago, WarEagleT said:

Agree with most of your thoughts on many of our underwhelming DC’s. However SEC has no monopoly on intensity. If you’ve played the game you know once you get on the field at the DI level, that even a opposing player from a FIS school can knock all the spit out of your head.

Perhaps you’re referring to fan intensity, where in the SEC it is as good as it gets. But on the field, football is football, coaching or playing.  

I agree WHOLEHEARTEDLY with your post.  THANK YOU.

Southerners, I am sorry to say, can be very close minded to this very fact.  

This so well said!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WarEagleT said:

I believe SEC puts more players in NFL than any other conference. As a percentage definitely has better players. Probably consistent with coaching also but doesn’t mean only the best ones come from there.