2022 post-spring depth chart

aubiefifty

19 hours ago, maryland tiger said:

😢

With the turnover It may not be this year, but the future of this D is exciting to me.  We have a lot of young playmakers. 

Gordon impressed me all day with his patience and recognition.  Brooks' length and speed are going to make him a dangerous player that teams need to scheme for and the two young safeties will grow up quickly but were making good plays all over.

I liked the way CJD was calling the D. A lot of different looks and coverages. I loved seeing some fire-zone concepts to generate pressure.  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, bigbird said:

That's that depth someone has been boasting about for 4-5 years

College athletes go on a roughly four year cycle. 4-5 years ago, we had depth. This year we have depth to some extent but it's all older players recruited by the former staff.

One replacement a year was brought in, to re-stock a roster that runs on a roughly 4 year cycle. The missing depth in 2023 will be the guys who should have been freshmen and sophomores this coming season. If you're worried about depth, just consider 2023 when most of Gus's recruits will have used up their eligibility.

Either Harsin & co. don't think the O-line situation is as bad as some fans think it is, or they couldn't recruit a single player, high school, JUCO or transfer, who could crack the two-deep.

• Like 1
  • Dislike 2

1 minute ago, Mikey said:

College athletes go on a roughly four year cycle. 4-5 years ago, we had depth. This year we have depth to some extent but it's all older players recruited by the former staff.

One replacement a year was brought in, to re-stock a roster that runs on a roughly 4 year cycle. The missing depth in 2023 will be the guys who should have been freshmen and sophomores this coming season. If you're worried about depth, just consider 2023 when most of Gus's recruits will have used up their eligibility.

Either Harsin & co. don't think the O-line situation is as bad as some fans think it is, or they couldn't recruit a single player, high school, JUCO or transfer, who could crack the two-deep.

pescador-pescadorcito.gif

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

We need 5 OL this class.

We have seven slots left under the annual limit and virtually all of the quality high school and JUCO players are already signed. That leaves the portal. With getting not one single O-line guy from the portal in close to two full cycles, I'm not optimistic about pulling much from there.

21 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

I would give you a fact based rebuttal as many have tried to do. But it's like arguing with a jug of stump water so it's just time to move on 4 me.

Aw, c'mon. Give it a try! I want to see how you are going to rebut, with facts, the statement that AU has only signed two O-line prospects over the past two recruiting cycles.

5 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Mikey you are being disingenuous. They have signed 3 HS players who have not broken into the 2 deep assuming the 2 deep we saw is correct.  Obviously a player who has been here for 6 years will be better prepared so have a huge advantage but that does not make him a better player. Does staff think there is an issue look at how many O-line they have tried to recruit and who have visited.  Top HS O-line are going to programs that put players in the league.  You are correct we did not bring in any Portal O-line but we brought some to campus who chose programs that had been putting players into the league. 

Next years class will be telling for this staff as they will be able to sell PT as all the super seniors are gone.  There is still a chance we could pick up a Portal O-line but there just are not that many good ones in the pipeline. I do think staff made a mistake in there were a couple of lower rated HS O-line with solid upside they probably could have picked up but I think they were saving those for Portal and immediate help and they struck out there.

We still have summer and Fall to determine if any of the 3 HS players will break into the 2 deep.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Aw, c'mon. Give it a try! I want to see how you are going to rebut, with facts, the statement that AU has only signed two O-line prospects over the past two recruiting cycles.

They signed 3 Smith, Langlo, Harris. Which is 3 more HS OT's then Gus signed in his last two or three cycles.

Edited by AuburnNTexas
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 1

1 minute ago, AuburnNTexas said:

They signed 3 Smith, Langlo, Harris.

5 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

They have signed 3 HS players.....

Langlo was an early signee and early enrolee. He was signed in December by the previous staff, before Harsin was hired.

22 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Mikey you are being disingenuous.

When is he not? 

For years he defended Gus when he would sign 1 or 2 guards. Now, look at him.  He's a caricature.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bigbird said:

When is he not? 

For years he defended Gus when he would sign 1 or 2 guards. Now, look at him.  He's a caricature.

Where would we be without Gus's O-line signees? I'll tell you where, up the proverbial creek.

• Facepalm 2

8 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Where would we be without Gus's O-line signees? I'll tell you where, up the proverbial creek.

You've got it wrong.

Where would we be without Covid?

Gus failed the position group, the team, and the university. That's why he was fired. Try supporting the school and not the failed coach. You know, like you swore you would.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, bigbird said:

You've got it wrong.

Where would we be without Covid?

Gus failed the position group, the team, and the university. That's why he was fired. Try supporting the school and not the failed coach. You know, like you swore you would.

Without Covid, Harsin would be up the creek because he's failed to sign replacements. You haters try leaving Gus out of your bellyaching and I'll return to forgetting about him, just as I was doing before so many here started blaming Gus for Harsin's failures.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

We have seven slots left under the annual limit and virtually all of the quality high school and JUCO players are already signed. That leaves the portal. With getting not one single O-line guy from the portal in close to two full cycles, I'm not optimistic about pulling much from there.

Ummm......When I said 5 OL for this class....I was referring to 23.  

I tell you what....Gus is extremely lucky to have such a ride or die with you. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

Without Covid, Harsin would be up the creek because he's failed to sign replacements. You haters try leaving Gus out of your bellyaching and I'll return to forgetting about him, just as I was doing before so many here started blaming Gus for Harsin's failures.

You do realize without Covid we'd be starting RSFR b/c Gus left us with nothing....right?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Mikey you are being disingenuous. They have signed 3 HS players who have not broken into the 2 deep assuming the 2 deep we saw is correct.  Obviously a player who has been here for 6 years will be better prepared so have a huge advantage but that does not make him a better player. Does staff think there is an issue look at how many O-line they have tried to recruit and who have visited.  Top HS O-line are going to programs that put players in the league.  You are correct we did not bring in any Portal O-line but we brought some to campus who chose programs that had been putting players into the league. 

Next years class will be telling for this staff as they will be able to sell PT as all the super seniors are gone.  There is still a chance we could pick up a Portal O-line but there just are not that many good ones in the pipeline. I do think staff made a mistake in there were a couple of lower rated HS O-line with solid upside they probably could have picked up but I think they were saving those for Portal and immediate help and they struck out there.

We still have summer and Fall to determine if any of the 3 HS players will break into the 2 deep.

This is what I'd do. We have 7-10 portal spots for the '22 cycle. Bring in a RT and a C (who can play guard too) this summer who have multiple years left. Guys that probably won't start this year, but can push. Then bring in 5-6 HS in 2023. Then, next January, assuming we lose 7 guys, get 2-3 more in the portal that count towards the '23 backfill. Preferably guys who can start in 2023 or two deep minimum. That gets us 9-10 new bodies in the next calendar year while only taking up 5/25 of the HS class spots.

What folks don't realize is that the guys Gus recruited after the super senior class in 2018-2020, Irvin, Stutts, Johnson, Jernigan, have been here for years and haven't cut it. They are getting hype rn, but maybe even worse than the super seniors. That leaves a big gap from the super seniors to Harsin's RS freshmen that we'll have to backfill via the portal

3 hours ago, Mikey said:

What's funny is the fact that Ol Gus run the program in the ground his last 6 years. And u expect Harsin to  have it fixed after 1 season

Edited by NWALA Tiger
  • Like 5

I think we hit all of the hot button topics for the thread:

• Bo Nix
  • Gus Malzahn
  • COVID-19

Have we touched on how Harsin's daughters dress yet?

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Are u saying that u think Mikey is a closet Bryan Harsin fan?

I am thinking he has nothing better to do late at nights and gets satisfaction from the attention. If people ignored his hot takes, he would dwindle.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, DAG said:

If people ignored his hot takes, he would dwindle.

Hey!

4 hours ago, Mikey said:

Well you argue in bad faith and ignore key facts so no one want to discuss with you bc even if someone proved you were wrong beyond a reasonable doubt with concrete evidence you would still find a way to disagree

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DAG said:

You guys are getting trolled , hardcore, btw.

I really wish the board had rules against toxic trolling behavior. Several would be banned under those grounds easily.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, W.E.D said:

You do realize without Covid we'd be starting RSFR b/c Gus left us with nothing....right?

He ignores facts like that in bad faith bc it destroys his arguments lmao. If Mikey was an attorney he'd constantly be sanctioned by the courts for arguing in bad faith by ignoring uncontroverted facts in the record.

• Like 1