2022 post-spring depth chart

aubiefifty

1 hour ago, provibe said:

How do you figure that? You don’t really know what was in the portal and whether any of them even wanted or would come here. Even if he had recruited well, it is very doubtful that any would start as freshman, so I put much of the problem on Gus. We should have some good juniors and sophomores ready to move up but guess what!

Yes I do know who was in the portal because I saw it every day, watched film on, and made notes and recommendations to coaches for a D1 football program. 

Im not saying the bad Oline is all Harsin's fault, just that he hasn't done anything to shore up the biggest deficiency on the roster. There is no negative on taking a few OL even if they aren't the world beaters. 

Edited by GunsmithAU
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, bigbird said:

You're correct, we have missed on some the last year and a half. However, the absolute lack of talent and depth falls squarely on the shoulders of Gus and co.

I'm not blaming harsin for what he was left with, just on not making it the number 1 priority and doing something.

54 minutes ago, GunsmithAU said:

I'm not blaming harsin for what he was left with, just on not making it the number 1 priority and doing something.

I'm old enough to remember last year when @Mikeywould say the OL isn't that bad b/c Harsin didn't make it a priority.  Now I'm seeing him say a two deep of the exact same players is bad.

@bigbirdI need to know which way is up

• Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, GunsmithAU said:

I'm in agreement with you, but how do we fix this mess? Not trying to be smart, serious question that I have pondered and can't think of a quick way out. He left us 9 Sr's. How that happened is beyond me, but it's the situation we're in nonetheless. If we bring in 9 guys this year to replace them, we're back in the same spot in 4 years. Gotta create some balance.

Start counting spots forward to '23/'24 classes? Petition the NCAA for relief? Seems like the right way is unfortunately the long way. 4 HS classes with 5 men in each class. Maybe 2 portal guys this summer with varying years of eligibility. We need major help at other positions this class too. And of course, sitting on our hands like we did in January is not the solution. We have to start this summer. Just hard to see a way to navigate this 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, au302 said:

And of course, sitting on our hands like we did in January is not the solution

You think they were?

Besides the lack of quality numbers, It's hard to sell immediate PT to transfers when you have 4-5 super seniors returning.  

It's fun to say they didn't try, but what has CBH ever done that would make people think he is lazy, complacent, or not trying. It's not who he is or what he wants at AU.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

This is my thing this year. I'm not going to listen to the very same people flip out about QB play that would jump my case for accurately evaluating Bo. 

You aren't going to get to be a QB whisper this year when you spent the last 3 years blaming EVERYBODY but the QB. 

Can't make up the very same people that kept saying Bo had all this potential can matter of factly right now say TJ isn't good. I don't even see how you can look at yourself in the mirror and do that personally.

2 minutes ago, cole256 said:

This is my thing this year. I'm not going to listen to the very same people flip out about QB play that would jump my case for accurately evaluating Bo. 

You aren't going to get to be a QB whisper this year when you spent the last 3 years blaming EVERYBODY but the QB. 

Can't make up the very same people that kept saying Bo had all this potential can matter of factly right now say TJ isn't good. I don't even see how you can look at yourself in the mirror and do that personally.

Can I say the both look(ed) lacking in what we need?

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, cole256 said:

What if we doubted either has what it takes?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bigbird said:

You think they were?

Besides the lack of quality numbers, It's hard to sell immediate PT to transfers when you have 4-5 super seniors returning.  

It's fun to say they didn't try, but what has CBH ever done that would make people think he is lazy, complacent, or not trying. It's not who he is or what he wants at AU.

No, of course not. That was a poor phrase to use. But at the end of the day we do have to start bringing in some talent. Thinking maybe two this summer. Younger portal guys that need another year. Problem is are there transfers out there willing to possibly sit? Seems like most go portal because they think they should play

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, cole256 said:

What bird said. What if we thought that Bo wasn't the answer and also think TJ isn't the answer? That seems fair and consistent. What's not consistent is saying Bo needed more time but TJ does not, or vice versa and saying Bo sucked but TJ needs more time 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, bigbird said:

You think they were?

I'd argue immediate competition for PT is a good sell. Sure they're 30yo men playing here now, but they're known to suck. 

18 minutes ago, bigbird said:

You think they were?

Outcome is not always equal to efforts.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, GunsmithAU said:

I'd argue immediate competition for PT is a good sell. Sure they're 30yo men playing here now, but they're known to suck. 

I get it.  I am and have been the biggest OL recruiting critic since 2016-17.  

Our OL recruiting the last 15 months has not done anything in the HS or portal ranks to address it and that falls on CBH. However, even if we had signed a large number they wouldn't necessarily be ready this season and that doesn't fall to CBH. 

What he did do is convince the super seniors to stay (seriously, think about our OL#'s if there weren't super seniors available). That OL recruiting, due to familiarity in scheme and chemistry, is more important or at least more beneficial for this year than bringing in some stop-gaps from the portal that may be better.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Colby Smith and Langlo were brought in by this staff in addition Harris,  Langlo was recruited by Gus but this staff kept him Gus's staff had nothing to do with Smith or Harris.  As the newest O-linemen it usually takes 1-2 years to be ready for SEC play. It would be very hard for newer players to be ahead of players who have been hear between 3 and 6 years. To expect Redhirt Frehman and a True Freshman to be in the top two is not very realistic. That said I have heard good things about all 3 and would not be surprised to see Smith and maybe Langlo to be in the top two by the time the season starts. 

I will give you that we should have gotten Portal O-Line that is on this staff but we still might.

Obviously, you didn't see the first sentence of my post. Here, I'll repeat it for you: "Ten O-line players listed". That list was a depth chart. This coming season will be the second since the old staff is gone and still, there are no O-line players on the two deep who were recruited by the current staff.. Either the old staff's O-line recruiting wasn't nearly as bad as some would have us believe or the new crew has done a miserable job of finding suitable replacements. Any idea which it is? Some of both?

21 hours ago, gravejd said:

How could they possibly make the list with all these 6 year OL in place that you've been bragging on for years??

If the old guys were as bad as some here claimed, they would have been easy to replace.

21 hours ago, bigbird said:

Take away covid and then ask where Gus left the OL?

Gus left good numbers, Covid or not. Failure to re-stock two seasons after Gus left can hardly be blamed on Gus. What Covid did was, it saved Harsin's bacon from being in the fire. Imagine what that O-line would look like without Gus's 6th year seniors.

21 hours ago, W.E.D said:

10 Bad OL players all from the prior regime, who you've constantly said did a fine job?

They are obviously doing a better job than any players the new staff has brought in. If they weren't, the two deep wouldn't be exclusively composed of players brought in by the old regime.

19 hours ago, JerryAU said:

So this staff should've ripped off the band-aid rather than convince the Super Seniors to return? 

Nobody is saying that. What's obvious is there has been a failure to bring in suitable replacements.

19 hours ago, Hank2020 said:

I got 12 if you include the longsnappers.

I thought the new staff managed to bring a longsnapper in? Since the LS weren't listed on the depth chart, does that mean you have identified yet another failure in the O-line recruiting area?

13 hours ago, bigbird said:

You're correct, we have missed on some the last year and a half. However, the absolute lack of talent and depth falls squarely on the shoulders of Gus and co.

And yet, we'd be in one devil of a fix were it not for Gus's recruits. All of the top-ten on the depth chart were brought in by Gus. Your candidate Wright was as well. Depth should be being provided by younger guys. Three or four a year should be brought in if some are to be believed. Who are they? Did the six to eight replacements that have been brought in these last two cycles slip by the recruiting analysts, or is it that they they don't exist? 

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1
  • Dislike 1

12 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Now I'm seeing him say a two deep of the exact same players is bad.

Where did I say they were bad? Some here have said they are bad, but they are clearly the best we have. What I did say is that if they were as bad as some claim, they'd be easy to replace. Since no new players have been able to move ahead of them, they can't be all that bad.

44 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Obviously, you didn't see the first sentence of my post. Here, I'll repeat it for you: "Ten O-line players listed". That list was a depth chart. This coming season will be the second since the old staff is gone and still, there are no O-line players on the two deep who were recruited by the current staff.. Either the old staff's O-line recruiting wasn't nearly as bad as some would have us believe or the new crew has done a miserable job of finding suitable replacements. Any idea which it is? Some of both?

I did read the first sentence of your post. That is why I mentioned the new O-linemen are 2 red shirt freshmen and a true freshman. I don't know yet if the new players are better then the 6 year Seniors.  It takes time for a new player even if more talented to transition from HS to college and learn a new system.  We still have summer and fall to see if there is any movement on the 2 deep.

Experience counts a lot in O-Line as the reads and different blocking schemes take a while to learn. You already know that Mikey you are just being obtuse. So I have a question for you Mikey did last years O-line look like a well oiled machine that created huge holes for our running backs and that allowed our QB to feel comfortable in the pocket.   

24 minutes ago, Mikey said:

If the old guys were as bad as some here claimed, they would have been easy to replace.

Gus left good numbers, Covid or not. Failure to re-stock two seasons after Gus left can hardly be blamed on Gus. What Covid did was, it saved Harsin's bacon from being in the fire. Imagine what that O-line would look like without Gus's 6th year seniors.

They are obviously doing a better job than any players the new staff has brought in. If they weren't, the two deep wouldn't be exclusively composed of players brought in by the old regime.

Nobody is saying that. What's obvious is there has been a failure to bring in suitable replacements.

I thought the new staff managed to bring a longsnapper in? Since the LS weren't listed on the depth chart, does that mean you have identified yet another failure in the O-line recruiting area?

And yet, we'd be in one devil of a fix were it not for Gus's recruits. All of the top-ten on the depth chart were brought in by Gus. Your candidate Wright was as well. Depth should be being provided by younger guys. Three or four a year should be brought in if some are to be believed. Who are they? Did the six to eight replacements that have been brought in these last two cycles slip by the recruiting analysts, or is it that they they don't exist? 

Gus signed a bunch of guards, most of them fall back players cause of the ones he whiffed on. Then he tried to take those guards and make OT out of them

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Experience counts a lot in O-Line as the reads and different blocking schemes take a while to learn. You already know that Mikey you are just being obtuse. So I have a question for you Mikey did last years O-line look like a well oiled machine that created huge holes for our running backs and that allowed our QB to feel comfortable in the pocket.

They were adequate, getting off to a 6-2 start. What happened after that can hardly be blamed on the O-line. If they are as bad as you claim, replacing them with better players should be easy. After two recruiting cycles, complete with a transfer portal that's tailor-made to plug gaps, where are the replacements?

1 minute ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Gus signed a bunch of guards, most of them fall back players cause of the ones he whiffed on. Then he tried to take those guards and make OT out of them

And yet, they are still the best Auburn has, even two seasons after Gus is gone.

3 minutes ago, Mikey said:

And yet, they are still the best Auburn has, even two seasons after Gus is gone.

Yeah , it's Harsins fault. No doubt about it. Smith, Langlo Harris all should be starting as Freshmen. And it's just 1 recruiting cycle BTW..Mikey, Gus is gone... Let it go Bro

Edited by NWALA Tiger
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

11 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Yeah , it's Harsins fault. No doubt about it. Smith, Langlo Harris all should be starting as Freshmen. And it's just 1 recruiting cycle BTW..Mikey, Gus is gone... Let it go Bro

Not much on counting, I see. I suppose it's 1 & 1/2 normal recruiting cycles and two portal cycles if one wanted to be entirely accurate. Indeed Gus is gone. He's been gone for, let's see.... 1 & 1/2 regular recruiting cycles and two portal cycles. This coming season will be the second year that he's gone and yet, posters here continue to try to blame Gus for the O-line situation when the new staff, who has had...wait for it.... 1 & 1/2 regular recruiting cycles and two portal cycles and has failed to acquire even one O-line player who can crack the two deep depth chart.