Why wouldn’t you start Ashford in Week 2?

RunInRed

1 hour ago, cbo said:

Just giving opinions on what we think will or won't work. Never questioning the HC or making predictions would make for a pretty dull message board. 

Personally, I don't think Harsin will run a 2 QB system.  If TJ keeps the job, Ashford will have some packages, depending on the game, as @Barnaclealready stated. Not much different than bringing in a wildcat QB. 

I really believe folks will change their tune on RA starting once they realize how bad our OL is at opening holes. We couldn’t control the LOS against MERCER. TJ doesn’t throw well enough to scare anybody (at least yet), so teams will stack the box and sell out for Tank/Jarquez.

With RA, defenses can’t pin their ears back as much. They’ve got to account for the QB and the read. We can use an East/West running game, like we did Saturday. 

This team HAS to find a way to run the ball or we’re absolutely toast.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Barnacle said:

First and foremost, I'm not expecting to see Calzada. But, I remain curious, since his numbers during fall camp were apparently comparable to Finley's (according to JHoke). Robbie is going to play no matter what, given his skillset. My curiosity is whether, if Finley were to become injured, Robbie would take over 100% of the snaps, or whether he and Calzada would split snaps at all. I think a 2QB system with Calzada and Robbie is unlikely, but it also wouldn't shock me. 

I'm in the minority on this, but I could definitely see ZC getting reps this weekend. I think there's a good chance he never plays here, obviously, but I also think Harsin is currently exploring all options as he tries to save his job. With Finley opening the door, ZC could get a look.

I would at least trot him out for a drive or two IF we are winning big late (it's AU so don't count on it) just to get his feet wet and let him get hit with his shoulder. Try to get him some confidence for if/when his number is called at some point.

27 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

I really believe folks will change their tune on RA starting once they realize how bad our OL is at opening holes. We couldn’t control the LOS against MERCER. TJ doesn’t throw well enough to scare anybody (at least yet), so teams will stack the box and sell out for Tank/Jarquez.

With RA, defenses can’t pin their ears back as much. They’ve got to account for the QB and the read. We can use an East/West running game, like we did Saturday. 

I get your point and I don't disagree. But I just don't know yet. 

Above almost everything else, I want Tank to have the season he deserves. It drove me crazy last year that the OL couldn't get any push and the QB's couldn't offer a deep threat to keep the D out of the box. Tank and Jarquez deserve a chance to show what they can do. And this is Tank's last chance. 

Ashford might be the answer. But he also might not know the playbook as well, might not read the defense properly, etc. We need at least a bit of a passing threat. 

RA did look better than I expected. I'm anxious to see how he looks against SEC defenses. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, LPTiger said:

Don't go bringing sound logic here.   You need to self-impose a 2 day hiatus from posting.

Sometimes you just got to sit back and laugh lol. 

9 hours ago, cbo said:

Tank and Jarquez deserve a chance to show what they can do. And this is Tank's last chance. 

Tank will have another full season of eligibility.  Let's say he has a very pedestrian year...does he still go to the NFL, stay at AU, or transfer somewhere else with all the pieces to help him have a successful year?

12 hours ago, AUght2win said:

For most teams we face, a east/west running game will not fare very well.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AUDevil said:

Tank will have another full season of eligibility.  Let's say he has a very pedestrian year...does he still go to the NFL, stay at AU, or transfer somewhere else with all the pieces to help him have a successful year?

Pretty sure tank is going to the NFL no matter what after this season.

• Like 4

On 9/6/2022 at 5:29 AM, W.E.D said:

I mean....do ppl just intentionally spew BS arguments like this trying to fit a narrative and hope no one fact checks them?

😅🤣 they are literally in the same class out if HS.  Applying a covid year to one, then not the other. Just shameful

I just looked it up again.  Finley is a Junior and he is making freshman mistakes.  Ashford is a second year freshman (transfer).  We know what we have in Finley (Jeremy Johnson 2.0).  Give Ashford a chance maybe he shines when the bright lights are on him.  Finley threw two picks the kind that will get us beat when we play quality competition and he was under very little pressure from Mercer.

• Facepalm 1

3 minutes ago, Plainstalk said:

I just looked it up again.  Finley is a Junior and he is making freshman mistakes.  Ashford is a second year freshman (transfer).  We know what we have in Finley (Jeremy Johnson 2.0).  Give Ashford a chance maybe he shines when the bright lights are on him.  Finley threw two picks the kind that will get us beat when we play quality competition and he was under very little pressure from Mercer.

Ashford made mistakes that would cost us a game in the SEC as well.  Left Koy Moore WIDE open on the sidelines twice while running too soon or attempting a much more difficult throw.  Kid has talent, but he's not ready to lead this team as it's main QB.  Plus, if your tight end has to give you whiplash yanking you back from talking s***, then you've got some growing up to do.  Team game.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

i trust hars enough to make the right decisions on our qb's. i bet he will give both opportunities to make sure he has the right qb for penn state. if hars beats penn state i believe that would be huge for us and a special win for hars........

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, kennypowers said:

Ashford made mistakes that would cost us a game in the SEC as well.  Left Koy Moore WIDE open on the sidelines twice while running too soon or attempting a much more difficult throw.  Kid has talent, but he's not ready to lead this team as it's main QB.  Plus, if your tight end has to give you whiplash yanking you back from talking s***, then you've got some growing up to do.  Team game.

i think the tj and jeremy comparisons are just plain wrong. jeremy had a good team and decent line to protect him. but to compare them? not me..............

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

i think the tj and jeremy comparisons are just plain wrong. jeremy had a good team and decent line to protect him. but to compare them? not me..............

No, Jeremy was just a product of Gus relying on his skills being good enough...if he was ever developed, he could have been elite.  The comparisons only seem to be regarding size/skin color.  

Jeremy should sue Gus

• Like 1
  • Love 3

The true test for Robbie will be when something negative happens. There is no doubt that he is a great athlete. When things are going good RA is as good as anyone the trouble is how he handles things when things don't go well. If he can come out and be positive when times are tough rather than slump his shoulders and get dejected he could be really good at Auburn. We will just have to wait and see.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, AUght2win said:

Rushing with Ashford in game: 

19 for 169 (8.5+ YPC)

Rushing without Ashford in game:

21 for 116 (5.5 YPC)

Thats a good stat to track. Thx for the info

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Plainstalk said:

No

They are literally the same year. Look it up Again. They've been in college literally the same amount of time

Edited by W.E.D

26 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

No

They are literally the same year. Look it up Again. They've been in college literally the same amount of time

They are but TJ has more experience. Ashford is definitely greener. He has had to sit behind better QBs, while TJ has had chances to play. 

55 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

They are but TJ has more experience. Ashford is definitely greener. He has had to sit behind better QBs, while TJ has had chances to play. 

Not to mention he was focused on baseball half the year.

• Like 1

Just got done watching the UCF game. Reminder, at QB you aren't going to be able to out athlete everyone. Hoping to see some good play from both QBs.

• Like 1

Speaking of Gustavious.  Bad loss tonight.  Terrible calls and Redzone woes.   Seems familiar.  No Kobe Hudson sighting either.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, kennypowers said:

Speaking of Gustavious.  Bad loss tonight.  Terrible calls and Redzone woes.   Seems familiar.  No Kobe Hudson sighting either.  

Goaline calls we’re head scratching. Plumlee was terrible on that last drive. He could have used his legs as there was plenty of time. He had an open lane on 4 and 5. U just need a first down not a huge chunk play

38 minutes ago, e808 said:

Goaline calls we’re head scratching. Plumlee was terrible on that last drive. He could have used his legs as there was plenty of time. He had an open lane on 4 and 5. U just need a first down not a huge chunk play

If he turns his body there is a good 20 yards on the ground.  Blown away that gus managed to lose to Louisville.  Wonder what's going through kobe Hudson head atm

1 hour ago, DAG said:

Just got done watching the UCF game. Reminder, at QB you aren't going to be able to out athlete everyone. Hoping to see some good play from both QBs.

You can but you have to have supporting pieces. Looks like Gus is neglecting positional needs at UCF just like he did at Auburn.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AUght2win said:

You can but you have to have supporting pieces. Looks like Gus is neglecting positional needs at UCF just like he did at Auburn.

I agree. UCF had tons of talent mismanaged. I will say you got to at marginal be able to have the defense respect your passing abilities. Louisville did not as they went for it on 4 downs a couple of times in the fourth.