Why wouldn’t you start Ashford in Week 2?

RunInRed

14 minutes ago, e808 said:

Unpopular opinion 

TJ was there and had a leg up on everyone regarding the playbook and played in games last year.

Bo gone

D Davis was told he wasnt it  or something of the sort. We never saw him play. Gone

Calzada injured. Ashford has been pegged with can’t throw and doesn’t know the plays.

Holden is a freshmen and it’s not idea to start him.

Don't think that is an unpopular opinion. Mostly facts

Calzads shouldn't haven been playing in a HR derby with a tennis racked and hurt himself again. 

We saw Robby struggle with accuracy issues last Saturday. But he's been here 9 10 months. He should understand the offense. He's a 3rd year player, not a TrFr.

My kain contention in that post wad saying TJ went into the fetal position on December. That makes absolutely no sense 

• Like 1

I haven't seen enough to say either one of them is ahead of the other. I say play them both until 1 of them takes complete control of the position. Obviously splitting 1st team reps isn't ideal, but getting game experience is invaluable. 

3 hours ago, W.E.D said:

LMAO.  He literally won the job over the spring/summer/fall camp.  When exactly did he go into a fetal position after winter transfers were brought in?

Is it because he didn't have a QB coach hyping his existence? 

Yes as I said he's the legit starter, he earned it. The rest came out of his own mouth in interviews he gave after winning the job including saying he questioned even wanting to play football anymore when Ashford & Calzada arrived. Google 8/29/22 Al com article, don't want to give them clicks here. Sorry if he upset you.

45 minutes ago, jknighton said:

I haven't seen enough to say either one of them is ahead of the other. I say play them both until 1 of them takes complete control of the position. Obviously splitting 1st team reps isn't ideal, but getting game experience is invaluable. 

I'm not so sure its a bad thing.  You only get 20 hours per week for practice.  Having to prepare for both who bring far different skill sets eats into that prep time and focus.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, aucanucktiger said:

Yes as I said he's the legit starter, he earned it. The rest came out of his own mouth in interviews he gave after winning the job including saying he questioned even wanting to play football anymore when Ashford & Calzada arrived. Google 8/29/22 Al com article, don't want to give them clicks here. Sorry if he upset you.

Pretty big misrepresentation of the events that transpired 

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

Calzads shouldn't haven been playing in a HR derby with a tennis racked and hurt himself again. 

How did I miss this? That’s just silly but more importantly it was referenced that he was behind plenty in the playbook too ( don’t quote me I read it in one of the 50 million articles shared). Again my assumption but it just sounds like he has my been mentally preparing and unfortunately, physically has been problematic too.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DAG said:

How did I miss this? That’s just silly but more importantly it was referenced that he was behind plenty in the playbook too ( don’t quote me I read it in one of the 50 million articles shared). Again my assumption but it just sounds like he has my been mentally preparing and unfortunately, physically has been problematic too.

Him being hurt has effect his ability to throw.  There was talk he would have surgery again.  He hurt his healthy arm/shoulder.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SphyNxXx said:

I have a feeling Harsin is about to run his 2QB system. I saw an article the other day where he did it in Boise. One pass oriented QB and one running oriented. If one gets the hot hand they play more.

The SEC houses the nations elite defensive coaches. 

But as long as Auburn can effectively execute Harsin's 2QB system then..WDE!

8 hours ago, aucanucktiger said:

I personally think this is a 2 QB situation that can work so long as TJs primary QB but 10 ton elephant in corner is TJ's fragile psyche. Some guys can function as backups but he himslef said he wasnt prepared in that role last year and went into fetal position when Ashford and Calzada were brought in. His playbook knowledge got him the nod this season and he's a legit starter but when a drop, penalty or pretty well anything messes up his rhythm, things go south quickly. If Ashford's made primary QB, starter don't look for TJ to stick around.

I love your take, but disagree with it.  No offense intended.

There is no 2-QB system that can work for a whole season.  One boss - one direction - or chaos.  The players have enough of a hard time believing in one QB.  Much less two.

Whichever QB is ultimately designated as #1, he should be trusted to run the entire offense.  It's his team, or nobody's team.

3 hours ago, SphyNxXx said:

I have a feeling Harsin is about to run his 2QB system. I saw an article the other day where he did it in Boise. One pass oriented QB and one running oriented. If one gets the hot hand they play more.

Never been a fan of switching QBs in and out through a game. I feel it just has too much possibility of ruining the rhythm of an offense and can make it harder for any one guy to get a hot streak started. 

Don't have any stats on me to back my beliefs up but It's just something I don't like to see much. 

2 hours ago, W.E.D said:

We saw Robby struggle with accuracy issues last Saturday. 

Did he? He had two passes that hit players in the hands and were dropped. He had two deep balls that were underthrown. The deep balls were bad decisions but I don't know if I would say those two indicate issues with accuracy. The second deep ball hit the defender in the back so it was on target but a poor decision to throw to a covered receiver. Everything else was on target from what I remember including a really nice pass to Shenker on the last drive. 

I would be more inclined to say Ashford's issue is being overconfident and trying to force passes that aren't there. Maybe he is just trusting his receivers to make plays.  Saturday didn't give us a large body of work to judge him on but accuracy did not seem to be his issue to me. 

On 9/5/2022 at 8:46 PM, cole256 said:

Now that block qb2 threw on that run? You see that's the type of stuff that earns you the team. That's not just getting handed the job which leads to the team not really respecting you, that's real life becoming a leader. Good to see stuff like that.

100%

QB2 for QB1 2022 edition, amirite?

1 hour ago, CoffeeTiger said:

Never been a fan of switching QBs in and out through a game. I feel it just has too much possibility of ruining the rhythm of an offense and can make it harder for any one guy to get a hot streak started. 

Don't have any stats on me to back my beliefs up but It's just something I don't like to see much. 

spurrier_rage.gif
stevekick.gif

Edited by Viper
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, MaxCohen216 said:

There is no 2-QB system that can work for a whole season.  One boss - one direction - or chaos.  The players have enough of a hard time believing in one QB.  Much less two.

Whichever QB is ultimately designated as #1, he should be trusted to run the entire offense.  It's his team, or nobody's team.

Plenty of teams have been successful running a Pocket QB and a Running QB.

4 minutes ago, kennypowers said:

For a whole season? Every single game? Subtracting mop-up?

Edited by Viper

13 minutes ago, kennypowers said:

Respectfully, I don't think many have, and the model is outdated for today.

No QB prospect ever signs hoping to split time with another QB.

Just my opinion.

27 minutes ago, MaxCohen216 said:

Respectfully, I don't think many have, and the model is outdated for today.

No QB prospect ever signs hoping to split time with another QB.

Just my opinion.

Agreed . The last two that worked were Leak and Tebow. Last year Florida tried two and look how that turned out. One is no longer there 

Edited by e808
Typo

4 hours ago, W.E.D said:

I think you are thinking of the home run derby last August.  I don't think the team did another "Olympics" this year.

27 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

I think you are thinking of the home run derby last August.  I don't think the team did another "Olympics" this year.

That is what I was told on another private board.  IDK.

Was repeated in the last few weeks by mods of another pay site

Edited by W.E.D
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, e808 said:

Agreed . The last two that worked were Leak and Tebow.

Bingo. That is the only pocket passer / DT QB combo I can think of that was implemented nearly every game AND worked. BUT, Tebow was brought in only when they entered the 10-yard line. That’s not a true rotation where each takes a drive from start to finish.

Terry Bowden used the same model in 1995 with Patrick Nix / Dameyune Craig. It too was very successful. Still not a true rotation. 

3 hours ago, MaxCohen216 said:

I think Harsin won the mtn west and a bowl game against Oregon using a 2qb system. 

8 hours ago, W.E.D said:

LMAO.  He literally won the job over the spring/summer/fall camp.  When exactly did he go into a fetal position after winter transfers were brought in?

Is it because he didn't have a QB coach hyping his existence? 

People just say s*** to say it, LOL. There's a lot of that in this thread.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, GreenTiger said:

I think Harsin won the mtn west and a bowl game against Oregon using a 2qb system. 

Nope. Brett Rypien went 21-38 against Oregon in their 2017 bowl game. Backup QB went 2-4.

Edited by Viper
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Viper said:

Nope. Brett Rypien went 21-38 against Oregon in their 2017 bowl game. Backup QB went 2-4.

Cozart, the dual threat backup to Rypein, played a very significant role in the 2017 10 win season at Boise. 

• Thanks 1