Why wouldn’t you start Ashford in Week 2?

RunInRed

Finley didn't have a good game but keep in mind his 2 interceptions were when we had a comfortable lead. Also, the same perspective should be used for Ashford. He looked good when he was put in the game, but he did it while we were up by 20+ points. It's different when it's a tight game and you need to make plays vs getting to play when there's no pressure on you to win the game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

Now that block qb2 threw on that run? You see that's the type of stuff that earns you the team. That's not just getting handed the job which leads to the team not really respecting you, that's real life becoming a leader. Good to see stuff like that.

Exactly, good to see that from Robby, whether TJ succeeds or not, that's what u want to see from guys that aren't "starters"

Finley has a really cannon for an arm.  He lacks consistency.  I really failed to see the improvement in his game.  He stares down receivers, fails to read defenses and turns the ball over way too much.  He is a junior, the game should have slowed down for him by now.  This is who Finley is.

Ashford is a freshman.  We know he is a running threat, the jury is still out on his arm.  I think we should give him a chance.  Play Ashford.

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

6 hours ago, Plainstalk said:

He is a junior

6 hours ago, Plainstalk said:

Ashford is a freshman

I mean....do ppl just intentionally spew BS arguments like this trying to fit a narrative and hope no one fact checks them?

😅🤣 they are literally in the same class out if HS.  Applying a covid year to one, then not the other. Just shameful

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

I mean....do ppl just intentionally spew BS arguments like this trying to fit a narrative and hope no one fact checks them?

😅🤣 they are literally in the same class out if HS.  Applying a covid year to one, then not the other. Just shameful

Well, in his defense both the official Auburn roster and ESPN profiles are spewing that BS.  That’s just how it happens in todays world for two different paths a guy may take. Better to list remaining eligibility in my opinion in todays age of recruiting, transferring, medical, etc. 

11 minutes ago, jw 4 au said:

Well, in his defense both the official Auburn roster and ESPN profiles are spewing that BS.  That’s just how it happens in todays world for two different paths a guy may take. Better to list remaining eligibility in my opinion in todays age of recruiting, transferring, medical, etc. 

They both have the exact same amount of eligible years remaining 

Edited by W.E.D

24 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

They both have the exact same amount of eligible years remaining 

One has 2 years of prior experience and the other has 0.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

49 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

One has 2 years of prior experience and the other has 0.

They've been in a college program the same amount of time.  Finley shouldn't be punish b/c he was forced into two half season of action b/c of injuries at both schools.

"2 years" is a bit of a stretch too.  Especially considering last year he was with the team for about 10 weeks before becoming the starter

Edited by W.E.D
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, cole256 said:

Now that block qb2 threw on that run? You see that's the type of stuff that earns you the team. That's not just getting handed the job which leads to the team not really respecting you, that's real life becoming a leader. Good to see stuff like that.

Finley too had a nice block near the line of scrimmage.  Robby seems to welcome the contact...just remember which shoulder you throw with.

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

They've been in a college program the same amount of time.  Finley shouldn't be punish b/c he was forced into two half season of action b/c of injuries at both schools.

"2 years" is a bit of a stretch too.  Especially considering last year he was with the team for about 10 weeks before becoming the starter

Any way you cut it, Finley has more experience than Ashford - not only game experience in the SEC but in Harsin's system.

In fact, I suspect that may be the primary reason he's still the starter.

Edited by homersapien
  • Like 1

Young QBs are full of confidence.  However, that confidence is extremely fragile.  There is a reason very few are immediately "fed to the wolves".  I give the coach credit for seeing something and, bringing Ashford into action slowly.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Any way you cut it, Finley has more experience than Ashford - not only game experience in the SEC but in Harsin's system.

In fact, I suspect that may be the primary reason he's still the starter.

And is why Finley will remain the starter until he pulls a “Bo Nix v Georgia St” game. 

And yes…he will have that game. Then and only then, will Ashford get his opportunity to seize becoming the full-time starter.

But it won’t be given to him because Finley threw a couple of picks in a decided game. The game will have to be in peril.

• Like 1

Let's not try to pretend Finley is some vet. There's a new offense this year. New coordinator. We have two guys who both have a lot of room for improvement.

And please understand it takes much more than seeing two bad passes or one good one to evaluate a QB.

Everybody would do good to simply respect the QB's the same way they did last year. Like I said the beginning of the spring ball, if you could cheer for the QB last year there's no reason you can't support the QB this year. Period.

• Like 4

IMO, not much good intel can be derived based upon playing a cupcake team in the first game of the season, because the sample size is too small and distorted.  However, bad intel can absolutely be derived.  Sometimes.

Ashford's accomplishments were impressive, and I enjoyed watching him play.  But his accomplishments were made against the (not) feared Mercer Bears.  An easy team based upon all accounts.  How will he do when the competition gets really tough?  There's no way to know.  I wish him luck.  I like the kid.

On the other hand, what about TJ's shortcomings with two turnovers?  IMO, they are much more telling than Ashford's accomplishments.  TJ's upside, as described by coach Harsin and others, was that he had learned the offense better and was in a position to make better decisions than last year.  And then he goes out and makes a couple really bad decisions against an easy Mercer team.

I think TJ deserves another start to prove his bad decisions on Saturday were just an anomaly.  And Ashford should get significant playing time to prove that his accomplishments were not just an anomaly.

Yes, we have a QB controversy.

Edited by MaxCohen216
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Let's not try to pretend Finley is some vet. There's a new offense this year. New coordinator. We have two guys who both have a lot of room for improvement.

And please understand it takes much more than seeing two bad passes or one good one to evaluate a QB.

Everybody would do good to simply respect the QB's the same way they did last year. Like I said the beginning of the spring ball, if you could cheer for the QB last year there's no reason you can't support the QB this year. Period.

New coordinator, yes.  New offense?  I thought it was the same offense as last year.  Has Harsin changed his offense?  There may be new wrinkles, but a new offense?

• Like 3

7 hours ago, MaxCohen216 said:

New coordinator, yes.  New offense?  I thought it was the same offense as last year.  Has Harsin changed his offense?  There may be new wrinkles, but a new offense?

Yes I'm sure there are new concepts and new plays. I'm positive

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MaxCohen216 said:

I think TJ deserves another start to prove his bad decisions on Saturday were just an anomaly.  And Ashford should get significant playing time to prove that his accomplishments were not just an anomaly

Maybe last seasons 6-1 TD to int performance was his anomaly. Pretty impressive numbers in 3 starts, including vs Bama and a 12 win Houston team. And the lone interception went right through a receivers hands. Mistakes happen with every qb. I look forward to seeing them both this weekend. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/5/2022 at 8:56 PM, Auburnfan91 said:

Finley didn't have a good game but keep in mind his 2 interceptions were when we had a comfortable lead. Also, the same perspective should be used for Ashford. He looked good when he was put in the game, but he did it while we were up by 20+ points. It's different when it's a tight game and you need to make plays vs getting to play when there's no pressure on you to win the game.

However that is how you let a team back in the game. A comfortable lead can evaporate. Sorry not an excuse to throw picks.

I personally think this is a 2 QB situation that can work so long as TJs primary QB but 10 ton elephant in corner is TJ's fragile psyche. Some guys can function as backups but he himslef said he wasnt prepared in that role last year and went into fetal position when Ashford and Calzada were brought in. His playbook knowledge got him the nod this season and he's a legit starter but when a drop, penalty or pretty well anything messes up his rhythm, things go south quickly. If Ashford's made primary QB, starter don't look for TJ to stick around.

Edited by aucanucktiger

2 hours ago, aucanucktiger said:

I personally think this is a 2 QB situation that can work so long as TJs primary QB but 10 ton elephant in corner is TJ's fragile psyche. Some guys can function as backups but he himslef said he wasnt prepared in that role last year and went into fetal position when Ashford and Calzada were brought in. His playbook knowledge got him the nod this season and he's a legit starter but when a drop, penalty or pretty well anything messes up his rhythm, things go south quickly. If Ashford's made primary QB, starter don't look for TJ to stick around.

I think his experience last year and the fact that he worked through the fall experience has helped him tremendously. I’m hoping he stays determined and confident. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, aucanucktiger said:

TJ's fragile psyche. [...] went into fetal position when Ashford and Calzada were brought in.

LMAO.  He literally won the job over the spring/summer/fall camp.  When exactly did he go into a fetal position after winter transfers were brought in?

Is it because he didn't have a QB coach hyping his existence? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have a feeling Harsin is about to run his 2QB system. I saw an article the other day where he did it in Boise. One pass oriented QB and one running oriented. If one gets the hot hand they play more.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, W.E.D said:

LMAO.  He literally won the job over the spring/summer/fall camp.  When exactly did he go into a fetal position after winter transfers were brought in?

Is it because he didn't have a QB coach hyping his existence? 

Unpopular opinion 

TJ was there and had a leg up on everyone regarding the playbook and played in games (8) last year.

Bo gone

D Davis was told he wasnt it  or something of the sort. We never saw him play. Gone

Calzada injured. Ashford has been pegged with can’t throw and doesn’t know the plays.

Holden is a freshmen and it’s not idea to start him.

Edited by e808