Why wouldn’t you start Ashford in Week 2?

RunInRed

I believe it was on The War Rapport that someone (Mike G?) pointed out that all the stuff Harsin has said during the off season seems to have been 100% true. He wasn't blowing smoke or forcing anyone to read between the lines. With that said, why would he randomly start lying about TJ starting the San Jose State game? I personally believe that Robbie is the more dynamic option, but there's something about TJ that has given Harsin confidence in him. 

With that said, if we see 2 bad misreads and pics I don't think TJ will be starting the Penn State game. However, if he comes out and slings it like he did the first 28 points I believe Harsin will say the exact same thing going in to Penn St. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

19 minutes ago, AUFightingSoldiers said:

I believe it was on The War Rapport that someone (Mike G?) pointed out that all the stuff Harsin has said during the off season seems to have been 100% true. He wasn't blowing smoke or forcing anyone to read between the lines. With that said, why would he randomly start lying about TJ starting the San Jose State game? I personally believe that Robbie is the more dynamic option, but there's something about TJ that has given Harsin confidence in him. 

With that said, if we see 2 bad misreads and pics I don't think TJ will be starting the Penn State game. However, if he comes out and slings it like he did the first 28 points I believe Harsin will say the exact same thing going in to Penn St. 

Precisely 

CBH did it with three qbs one year and two qbs another year. MEC is a different puppy though. The third string guy won mvp of the championship game.

Edited by toddc
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, GreenTiger said:

Cozart, the dual threat backup to Rypein, played a very significant role in the 2017 10 win season at Boise. 

Rypien got injured early in Game 2. Didn’t return until Game 4.

That’s why Cozart had 39 attempts in the two games Rypien was out. He had 58 total attempts in the other 12 games combined, an average of 4.8 attempts per game.

Rypien had 340 attempts in the 12 full games he played, an average of 28.3 attempts per game.

That’s not a 2 QB evenly paired system. That’s a Leak / Tebow situational system. 

A true 2 QB system won't work for this team. We have a somewhat inexperienced QB, a brand new QB, mostly new WRs, and a new OC. They have to get to know each other and establish a rhythm. 

In the next game, Harsin will start TJ and play Robbie a lot. As he should.

The dilemma is Robbie has the lowest floor and the highest ceiling. Too risky for Harsin, with his career on the line. So you hope TJ takes control. If not, you play them both for a while and see if someone separates.

If TJ is the guy, Robbie has packages in some games. But nothing close to a dual system. 

If Robbie looks better, TJ is relegated to a true backup. And you hold your breath and hope for the best. 

Edited by cbo
typo
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, Viper said:

Rypien got injured early in Game 2. Didn’t return until Game 4.

That’s why Cozart had 39 attempts in the two games Rypien was out. He had 58 total attempts in the other 12 games combined, an average of 4.8 attempts per game.

Rypien had 340 attempts in the 12 full games he played, an average of 28.3 attempts per game.

That’s not a 2 QB evenly paired system. That’s a Leak / Tebow situational system. 

A “evenly paired system” was never stated. Fact- Harsin did intentionally play 2 quarterbacks with different skill sets for the 2017 season which brought the team success. Why you are trying to debate and discredit this is odd. If you are a Auburn fan you should find comfort in the fact that Harsin has past experience running a system with 2qbs with different strengths in different measures. 
Is your assumption that a effective or “true” 2qb system must contain equal playing time??? Most often 2qb systems are NOT equal and that is ok and usually dictated by the situation. Further….when is anything ever equal. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, cbo said:

A true 2 QB system won't work for this team. We have a somewhat inexperienced QB, a brand new QB, mostly new WRs, and a new OC. They have to get to know each other and establish a rhythm. 

The dilemma is Robbie has the lowest floor and the highest ceiling. Too risky for Harsin, with his career on the line. So you hope TJ takes control. If not, you play them both for a while and see if someone separates.

If TJ is the guy, Robbie has packages in some games. But nothing close to a dual system. 

If Robbie looks better, TJ is relegated to a true backup. And you hold your breath and hope for the best. 

I don’t think we will see 50/50 as you’ve stated, but I think Robbie is going to get a lot of snaps moving forward, regardless of whether TJ remains the starter. What the mix will be will vary game by game, I’m sure. 

• Like 2

I'd always rather see a DT QB taking snaps, just a more entertaining product usually.

However in an extremely rare move for AUFamily posters, I'm gonna trust Harsin to put the best guy on the field to win games ;)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, cbo said:

I hear you. But I do not think anyone here can say what “won’t work for this team” If Harsin thinks it’s best and can help Auburn win, then I’m going to let him hang his hat on it.

As much as I want AU to win big this season, my job is not on the line if they don’t. Harsin’s is. I’m pretty sure is aware of that and will pick the option most likely to assure him being our coach for a while longer. 

• Like 2

Here's a another question: 

Do we see Calzada vs. San Jose State? Or, is he so far behind Finley/Ashford that the game plan focuses entirely upon them? 

Personally, I'd like to see him play. 

9 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Here's a another question: 

Do we see Calzada vs. San Jose State? Or, is he so far behind Finley/Ashford that the game plan focuses entirely upon them? 

Personally, I'd like to see him play. 

Calzada is apparently quite a bit behind both guys. 

13 hours ago, AUFightingSoldiers said:

Basically!

41 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Calzada is apparently quite a bit behind both guys. 

First and foremost, I'm not expecting to see Calzada. But, I remain curious, since his numbers during fall camp were apparently comparable to Finley's (according to JHoke). Robbie is going to play no matter what, given his skillset. My curiosity is whether, if Finley were to become injured, Robbie would take over 100% of the snaps, or whether he and Calzada would split snaps at all. I think a 2QB system with Calzada and Robbie is unlikely, but it also wouldn't shock me. 

If our coach has had success with a two QB system before , it just baffles me as to why we wouldn’t give him the benefit of a doubt before saying it just won’t work. I highly doubt it would be how people perceive it to be. 

Edited by DAG
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, AUFightingSoldiers said:

Yeah, Harsin doesn’t do too much coachspeak. It’s very nice. 

17 minutes ago, Didba said:

Yeah, Harsin doesn’t do too much coachspeak. It’s very nice. 

It really is. After years of coachspeak we have almost been conditioned to be skeptical of everything our coaches say. I think that, for the most part, Harsin is a straight shooter.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DAG said:

If our coach has had success with a two QB system before , it just baffles as to why we wouldn’t give him the benefit of a doubt before saying it just won’t work. I highly doubt it would be how people perceive it to be. 

Don't go bringing sound logic here.   You need to self-impose a 2 day hiatus from posting.

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, GreenTiger said:

A “evenly paired system” was never stated. Fact- Harsin did intentionally play 2 quarterbacks with different skill sets for the 2017 season which brought the team success. Why you are trying to debate and discredit this is odd. If you are a Auburn fan you should find comfort in the fact that Harsin has past experience running a system with 2qbs with different strengths in different measures. 
Is your assumption that a effective or “true” 2qb system must contain equal playing time??? Most often 2qb systems are NOT equal and that is ok and usually dictated by the situation. Further….when is anything ever equal. 

Your original statement was “Harsin won the mtn west and a bowl game against Oregon using a 2qb system”

That is insinuating Cozart had a major role in that season. He didn’t.

Cozart rushed for a grand total of 2 rushing TDs in the 12 games Rypien wasn’t injured. That isn’t a “2 QB system.” And both TDs were in the same game. So he had 0 rushing TDs in the other 11 games Rypien was the starter.

That is a situational system. It’s no different than how Tebow was used in 2006 or Dameyune Craig in 1995 or Kodi Burns in 2007 or Keihl Frazier in 2011 and many, many other short yardage QBs.

All four of those situational systems happened long before Harsin’s 2017 season, so don’t act like Cozart rushing for 2 TDs in one game revolutionized the game for a backup DT QB.

Edited by Viper

8 hours ago, DAG said:

If our coach has had success with a two QB system before , it just baffles me as to why we wouldn’t give him the benefit of a doubt before saying it just won’t work. I highly doubt it would be how people perceive it to be. 

Just giving opinions on what we think will or won't work. Never questioning the HC or making predictions would make for a pretty dull message board. 

Personally, I don't think Harsin will run a 2 QB system.  If TJ keeps the job, Ashford will have some packages, depending on the game, as @Barnaclealready stated. Not much different than bringing in a wildcat QB. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I’ve changed my mind on this. I still think RA is the better choice for us - mostly because I think he is the only way this team is going to be able to run the ball. I think he will eventually grab the job, but TJ needs to start week 2.

Reason is solely for locker room purposes and consistency in how CBH coaches his kids. 

Last year, when TJ saved us against GSU, I was convinced (and a bit hopeful) the Bo era was done. For many coaches, that would have been the case. But Bo started the very next game at LSU over TJ.

If CBH were to bench TJ, it’d be a bit hypocritical. TJ suffered last year as a result of CBH’s commitment to his QB1 after a bad game. It’s only fair he should benefit from it now that HE is the starter.

However, the leash should be short against SJSU and nonexistent against Penn State. We NEED that PSU game. I wouldn’t lose it by playing a guy that is turning the ball over. 

• Like 1