Softball 2023 Schedule

Thread title is very misleading.  Many (including me) will expect the entire schedule with a title like this. 

• Like 1

Slightly surprised by the teams:  St. John's, Fordham, Pittsburgh, Indiana, Illinois.  We played tougher competition last year.  We'll see what the rest of the schedule bings.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, WarTiger said:

Thread title is very misleading.  Many (including me) will expect the entire schedule with a title like this. 

Since the schedule tends to be developed and released in somewhat of a piecemeal fashion, we can put the pieces together as they become available.  For instance, last year the SEC league schedule was published 9/23, The Clear Water schedule 11/18, and the Nonconference schedule on 12/10.  Anyone can add to the thread as information is published.  We could make a separate thread for each schedule release but seemed practical to me to have it all in one area.  For anyone who reads this please indicate that you are OK with the current thread title by giving a 👍.  If you feel the thread title is "very misleading" then apply 👎.  In order to participate in this poll, you must have attended, watched on TV or listened to at least one Auburn softball game.  Polls close after midnight September 15.  If the results reveal disapproval of the current thread title, we will ask the moderators to change it to something more appropriate.  No mail in or drop box votes will be counted.😁

• Like 7

19 hours ago, OlderWhiskey said:

Slightly surprised by the teams:  St. John's, Fordham, Pittsburgh, Indiana, Illinois.  We played tougher competition last year.  We'll see what the rest of the schedule bings.

Agreed, dare I say disappointed.  I don't know what goes into scheduling a tournament like this, but I'd like to see us face at least one of the other big programs in there:

• Maybe Mike doesn't want us to embarrass him again like in St. Pete last pre-season;
  • We'll see the other UT and UK soon enough and maybe it's an SEC guideline or request not to play SEC in preseason, but would be great to see strong competition like that early...steel sharpens steel;

I'm sure guidelines and politics abound while backroom deals were had to secure the primadonnas from Austin.

I'm anxious for the season and won't complain about starting off in the Sunshine State..."We rise quietly". 

WDE

WDE _GDB2526.jpg?width=1128&height=635&mode=

Actually, we will see neither UT nor UK this year.  We will drop both of them, plus Arkansas and aTm.  At home we will get Miss. St., Ole Miss, LSU, and Missouri.  We will travel to UF, UGA, USC, and Alabama.  I know the teams are correct, and believe the sites are.

I’m not sure how much say Dean has about the schedule at an outside organization’s tournament. I do know they try to avoid inter- conference games, leaving Texas, Northwestern, and Illinois as the only teams who played in the NCAA tournament last year. It seems we got the short end of the stick by drawing Illinois.

Hopefully we can attract a few more big names this year for the tournaments in Auburn. Our “preseason” SOS at these tournaments killed us last year. 

Edited by Jad0003
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, OlderWhiskey said:

Actually, we will see neither UT nor UK this year.  We will drop both of them, plus Arkansas and aTm.  At home we will get Miss. St., Ole Miss, LSU, and Missouri.  We will travel to UF, UGA, USC, and Alabama.  I know the teams are correct, and believe the sites are.

Good to know.  We'll see everybody in the mix in Fayetteville next May.

28 minutes ago, Jad0003 said:

I’m not sure how much say Dean has about the schedule at an outside organization’s tournament. I do know they try to avoid inter- conference games, leaving Texas, Northwestern, and Illinois as the only teams who played in the NCAA tournament last year. It seems we got the short end of the stick by drawing Illinois.

Hopefully we can attract a few more big names this year for the tournaments in Auburn. Our “preseason” SOS at these tournaments killed us last year. 

Agreed.  Preseason SOS needs to be addressed.

Auburn will play Oklahoma two games in the Hall of Fame Classic in OKC early next year.  I have not seen the dates of the games .  That should beef up the SOS pretty good.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, AUSRB said:

Auburn will play Oklahoma two games in the Hall of Fame Classic in OKC early next year.  I have not seen the dates of the games .  That should beef up the SOS pretty good.

That will beef up the schedule alright. It probably won't do much for the won/lost record. :)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mikey said:

That will beef up the schedule alright. It probably won't do much for the won/lost record. :)

Playing Oklahoma doesn’t do much for any teams won/loss record.  However, it should be a good exposure for the team and who knows we might get lucky and steal one.

• Like 1

Losing 2 games to Oklahoma is better for our SoS in the RPI than beating a bad team. 

SoS has been heavily used the past few years in regards to regional / supers hosting.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, AUSRB said:

Could you give a link to the info/announcement?  I could not find it.  Thanks.

38 minutes ago, slot canyon said:

38 minutes ago, slot canyon said:

I don’t really have a link.  Phillip Marshall reported in one of his articles on another board.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, AUSRB said:

I don’t really have a link.  Phillip Marshall reported in one of his articles on another board.

Thanks, finally found the article and will link below.  Also, additional information regarding the team.

https://247sports.com/college/auburn/Article/Auburn-Softball-Notebook-Tigers-to-play-two-games-against-Oklahoma-next-season-193239902/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/25/2022 at 1:07 PM, blakem said:

If anyone is in Bham to watch the team today, please keep us updated.

see thread "softball games of 9/25/22"

Also:  https://auburntigers.com/news/2022/9/25/softball-tigers-blank-pensacola-state-uab-in-fall-exhibition-opener.aspx

Edited by slot canyon