Elephant in the Lane Train Room

AUght2win

2 hours ago, AUght2win said:

Jimbo - Imploded at FSU

Won 10, 9, 12, 14, 13, 10, 10 and 7 games respectively at FSU.

I wish AU could have a HC implode like that.

• Haha 4

13 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

But he's not winning 8 at OM, he's winning 10.  

In year 2.5. He has one 10 win season (in which he lost to Bryan Harsin). I’m guessing this is how LSU talked themselves into Coach O.

2 minutes ago, Viper said:

Won 10, 9, 12, 14, 13, 10, 10 and 7 games respectively at FSU.

I wish AU could have a HC implode like that.

Well he may be free to hire soon if you’re attracted to Jimbo’s results.

11 minutes ago, JerryAU said:

Yet you're ok with Freeze who cratered the Ole Miss program and left a NCAA mess in his wake, has a salacious history with cellphone usage and has been known to track down any negative comments about him on social media and lashes out to random strangers? 

I don’t love Freeze but somebody asked me my list. He’d be better than Lane because he’s actually consistently won and I DO believe he’s unlikely to reoffend. 

1 minute ago, AUght2win said:

Well he may be free to hire soon if you’re attracted to Jimbo’s results.

Never have liked Jimbo, but he never imploded at FSU.

His wife imploded all over a recruit while at FSU. Allegedly. Which resulted in his marriage imploding while at FSU. Allegedly. Which resulted in him leaving FSU. Allegedly. 

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, JerryAU said:

Freeze - dude can't even control himself own his own cellphone and nary a school has ventured to come near him since he's been at Liberty

Deion - should definitely be at the top of the list of candidates

Dell McGee - never been a HC - who knows how long it would take him to build a team OR who he'd bring in for his staff?

Aranda - should be at the top of the list of candidates

Mark Stoops - Will take entirely too long to build anything at Auburn and patience will not be a virtue of our fanbase after the last 5 yrs

Dabo - should be at the very top spot (#1) on the list of candidates 

1) Not true.  Freeze said just the other day that his agent has been contacted numerous times over the past couple of years.  Whether he was their top choice, I don't know, but people have reached out.

2) I would be happy with Deion.  It would be a huge risk, but also a huge reward.  No one (and I mean no one) would out recruit him.

3) I will always appreciate McGee's playing days on those great secondary teams of the 90's.  But he's never been a HC or even a coordinator.

4)  I agree Aranda should be a top candidate.  I would be very happy.  But he has a huge contract and seems to like it at Baylor.  I am not sure he'd want to bail on them this early.  He would definitely get the defense in order, though.

5) Stoops is meh to me.  I wouldn't cry, but he isn't a splash.  The problem isn't his coaching, but I just don't see him pushing recruiting forward. 

6) Dabo would never happen.  I see no reason whatsoever why he'd leave Clemson where he has 2 national championships.  Besides, he is already at Auburn's clone campus (Clemson is AU with a lake). And Dabo is falling off anyway.  He just got utterly destroyed by Notre Dame on Saturday.

• Like 1

Just now, Viper said:

His wife imploded all over a recruit while at FSU. Allegedly. Which resulted in his marriage imploding while at FSU. Allegedly. Which resulted in him leaving FSU. Allegedly. 

This is wrong btw. He finished 5-6 his last year at FSU.

1 minute ago, AUght2win said:

This is wrong btw. He finished 5-6 his last year at FSU.

And left them a huge mess while leaving, such as lack of linemen. Sounds very familiar 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AcUmen said:

1) Not true.  Freeze said just the other day that his agent has been contacted numerous times over the past couple of years.  Whether he was their top choice, I don't know, but people have reached out.

2) I would be happy with Deion.  It would be a huge risk, but also a huge reward.  No one (and I mean no one) would out recruit him.

3) I will always appreciate McGee's playing days on those great secondary teams of the 90's.  But he's never been a HC or even a coordinator.

4)  I agree Aranda should be a top candidate.  I would be very happy.  But he has a huge contract and seems to like it at Baylor.  I am not sure he'd want to bail on them this early.  He would definitely get the defense in order, though.

5) Stoops is meh to me.  I wouldn't cry, but he isn't a splash.  The problem isn't his coaching, but I just don't see him pushing recruiting forward. 

6) Dabo would never happen.  I see no reason whatsoever why he'd leave Clemson where he has 2 national championships.  Besides, he is already at Auburn's clone campus (Clemson is AU with a lake). And Dabo is falling off anyway.  He just got utterly destroyed by Notre Dame on Saturday.

For 3 - if you believe in Deion, then Dell is just a more proven Deion. Dell has been consistently one of the best recruiters in the country for a long time. And he knows what a successful SEC machine looks like. I’m not saying he’d get the same kids Deion would because Deion is an icon. But if you like what Coach Prime brings to the table why wouldn’t you like Dell?

And 6 - clearly something is off at Clemson. Maybe he needs a change of scenery.

10 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

In year 2.5. He has one 10 win season (in which he lost to Bryan Harsin). I’m guessing this is how LSU talked themselves into Coach O.

Hugh Freeze had one 10 win season in 5 years at Ole Miss, and one of his losses that year was to freaking Memphis. 

3 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

I don’t love Freeze but somebody asked me my list. He’d be better than Lane because he’s actually consistently won and I DO believe he’s unlikely to reoffend. 

Ok - we all have our opinions on this.    I do not want Freeze no matter how much he wins at Liberty.

He's so unlikely to reoffend that he sent a DM to a woman his employer had just settled a sexual harassment lawsuit with a couple of months ago.  He just couldn't control himself and HAD to message her to tell her what a God like man his boss was.... His Boss just happens to be the former Baylor AD that waded through the sex/rape coverup scandal and was fired, before Liberty gave him the AD job.  

• Like 1

I don’t know how many coaches have made it back from imploding at a previous stop. But Lane Kiffen had done it. He has made it back to big time football and is winning big and consistently after making it back. I was in the fence about him until this season but man I’m super impressed with how good ol miss is this season.  

Not sure I want to pay 10M per season for him or that he is my top choice. But I don’t see how anyone can deny what he has accomplished is very impressive. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, gravejd said:

I don’t know how many coaches have made it back from imploding at a previous stop. But Lane Kiffen had done it. He has made it back to big time football and is winning big and consistently after making it back. I was in the fence about him until this season but man I’m super impressed with how good ol miss is this season.  

Not sure I want to pay 10M per season for him or that he is my top choice. But I don’t see how anyone can deny what he has accomplished is very impressive. 

How is a year and a half of success considered consistently winning?

Just now, Tigers77 said:

I’m not a Kiffen fan but this thread feels like a “one guy who doesn’t like Kiffen and wants to argue about it” thread 🤷‍♂️

Nobody’s answered my original question - who has had a successful career at a big job after cratering?

If we want another Chizik or Coach O so then that’s fine. But do you expect Lane to guide us for 15 years? I don’t want to keep going through 2012s and 2022s after someone turns us into a dumpster fire. 

Just now, AUght2win said:

Nobody’s answered my original question - who has had a successful career at a big job after cratering?

If we want another Chizik or Coach O so then that’s fine. But do you expect Lane to guide us for 15 years? I don’t want to keep going through 2012s and 2022s after someone turns us into a dumpster fire. 

I’m not a fan of Lane, as I said so I’m not making an argument for him. Just feels like you decided you wanted to fight folks and started a thread geared towards it. Apologies if I’m wrong.

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

Just now, Tigers77 said:

I’m not a fan of Lane, as I said so I’m not making an argument for him. Just feels like you decided you wanted to fight folks and started a thread geared towards it. Apologies if I’m wrong.

I think a desire to debate encompasses 90% of threads generated on a football message board.

3 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Not Hugh Freeze

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TigerHorn said:

McElroy claimed on ESPN earlier today that AU "made an offer to a coach, and the coach wanted a 9 figure package", ie, like Jimbo. Kiffen is the only guy on our list with that kind of leverage IMO. I hope we told him to fuhgeddaboutit. He's not worth that. 

LK does not have that kind of leverage.

1 hour ago, AUght2win said:

Freeze, Deion, Dell McGee, Aranda, Mark Stoops, Dabo are all guys I’d like for us to take a swipe at. Kiffin wouldn’t be the worst hire but he would definitely be a huge risk. 

Freeze- I think he could win here for sure, but his shortcomings off the field I feel would be a distraction at some point in time. 

Deion- I would say he is a top target based on name alone. He should be able to recruit/portal build a program quickly and would be able to bring in top coordinators and position coaches to make up for his lack of coaching experience. But I think we would be hard pressed to find someone with the football iq of deion.

Dell- Never been a HC, done good as a coach/recruiter but that is irrelevant when it comes to judging for a HC

Aranda- I don't think that we can get him away from Baylor. 

Stoops- Great guy/coach but would probably take to long to build up I believe (could be wrong) 

Dabo- I would LOVE this hire if we could make that happen. 

Just so I am unbiased this is my list in no order

Deion, Kiffin, Grimes, Lanning, Dell, Aranda 

Of these I don't know that any would be long term solutions or would stay long term. If we do go with a Dell or Jeff it would be with the hope that they would be lifers and would have sustained success and we could have continuity for years to come. 

Edited by Taker

19 minutes ago, CoffeeTiger said:

Hugh Freeze had one 10 win season in 5 years at Ole Miss, and one of his losses that year was to freaking Memphis. 

Did you know that Saban  in his first year lost to........

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh nevermind

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Viper said:

Wait what? 

9 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

How is a year and a half of success considered consistently winning?

You are really grabbing at straws here pal. It’s fine you don’t like his twitter game. His analytical bust play calls. His lack of energy or past failures.  Bit the dude wins and he is got a bunch of portal players at Ole Miss playing very well.

No one can predict what any coach will do in the future and it’s pointless to try. Auburn is in bad shape and needs a quick turnaround to try to catch up. Out of all the candidates and their pros and cons Lane seems like the most proven coach to get us back quickly. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, EagleEye67 said:

LK does not have that kind of leverage.

No he doesn't, and IMO he doesn't deserve that kind of $$ either.

BUT, Auburn has been throwing around money like crazy and has paid out +/-$40million for 2 staffs to NOT coach here.  With that kind of volatility, why wouldn't a hot commodity ask for a huge deal like that? 

It's not like Auburn can't afford it, they are flipping loaded. 🤑