Vandy DE Transfer Elijah McAllister commits to AU!

Tigerpro2a

McAllister, 6-foot-6 and 265 pounds, is being recruited to play Jack linebacker at Auburn. The 2022 team captain, who has one year of eligibility, had 65 tackles and 3.5 sacks in his VU career.

my man wants to work on his PhD. Super smart dude. 

• Like 4
  • Love 4

• Zeek pinned and featured this topic

Auburn gets former Vandy pass rusher Elijah McAllister out of the portal

10 minutes ago

Auburn has some help on the way at a major position of need.

Elijah McAllister, a sixth-year senior transfer from Vanderbilt, has committed to Auburn. His commitment comes on the heels of his official visit to the Plains and not long after Auburn's staff offered him.

"Coach (Hugh) Freeze has a nice plan and vision for this program to be successful in a short amount of time," McAllister said. "I like talking with him and Coach (Jeremy) Garrett, the defensive line coach."

Currently listed at 6-foot-6, 295 pounds, McAllister is expected to be an edge or defensive end in Ron Roberts' scheme.

As a freshman in 2018, McAllister did not play for the Commodores. In 2019, statistically his most productive season, he accounted for 26 tackles, 2.5 sacks, two fumble recoveries and a forced fumble. McAllister did not play in the 2020 Covid season. The last two years McAllister combined for 39 tackles, a forced fumble and a fumble recovery. 

In the Class of 2018, McAllister was the No. 735 overall player in the industry-generated 247Sports Composite. He's originally from Rumson, New Jersey.

While the exact scheme of Roberts' defense is unknown, you can count on McAllister being a pass-rusher of some sort. From the edge room last year, Auburn returned just redshirt freshman Dylan Brooks going into the 2023 season.

McAllister will arrive in January in time for spring practice.

8COMMENTS

“Auburn gives me a great opportunity to do that," McAllister said. "Off the field, maybe work on a doctorate or a PhD degree. Coming from Vanderbilt, school is something I take value in. Thirdly, just being able to connect with teammates in a new space, continue to grow in my faith, and work on myself as a person.”

The former Commodore is Auburn's second commitment from the transfer portal after adding FIU tight end transfer Rivaldo Fairweather on Sunday. McAllister's commitment is a nice little boost ahead of National Signing Day.

Def need depth at DE considering we have nearly none.  I'll be interested to see how impactful he'll be.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DAG said:

6-6, 260. GOOD GRACIOUS.

More of a traditional DE than Edge but definitely capable of playing anywhere on the line for a few plays.

25 minutes ago, DAG said:

6-6, 260. GOOD GRACIOUS.

I think I read that he is currently 295!!! Not sure at all which info is correct, but definitely a BIG MAN!!

Edited by Hank2020

11 minutes ago, Zeek said:

More of a traditional DE than Edge but definitely capable of playing anywhere on the line for a few plays.

That's fine. We don't have players at either position 

• Like 1

Just now, W.E.D said:

That's fine. We don't have players at either position 

Looks can be deceiving,  but he looks fast enough.   In a pinch,  it seems like he could  trim down a bit and play anther area of need.... LB.

29 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Big need, SEC experience, and a massive frame. Good pickup. 

Massive frame?  He is not a freshman.  He is done filling out.  He was never a great player at Vanderbilt. This is a depth piece.

We might not win the Natty in 2023 but we'll damn sure have the tallest team in the nation. 😂 These recruits and transfers we've landed are tall as crap! 

Welcome to The Plains Mr. McAllister