'You're a Traitor, Joe!"

Tigermike

July 05, 2006

'You're a Traitor, Joe!'

Rick Klein of the The Boston Globe reports that some loveable lefties were out under the Democratic party's "big tent" yesterday in Connecticut celebrating the Fourth of July:

Senator Joseph I. Lieberman was smiling past the hecklers yesterday in this town's massive Independence Day parade. ``Shame on you!" one yelled. ``War-monger!" screamed another. ``You're a traitor, Joe!" came a third voice.

A traitor? Because he supports the policy of the United States government in Iraq? Eating one's own is not pretty business.

Joel Connelly, a reliably liberal columnist for the Seattle Post-Intelligencer, debunks the idea that Lieberman is a Bush stooge by running down a list of Lieberman's accomplishments, and then asks:

Does his inflexibility on Iraq cancel out or diminish Lieberman's contributions in a host of fields ranging from the environment to human rights?

Is the Democratic Party a tent big enough that it can still hold those who want the United States to proactively confront tyrants, a tradition dating to FDR and Hitler?

We'll know for sure on August 8, but it's looking increasingly like the answer to that last question is either "no" or "just barely."

Meanwhile, in The Hill Jonathan E. Kaplan looks at how Lieberman's potential run as an independent may affect Dems challenging in House races in Connecticut.

link

I never liked Joe anyway. He seemed to wishy-washy.

245309[/snapback]

That wasn't Joe, that was John (Kerry) you are thinking of. :big:

I never liked Joe anyway. He seemed to wishy-washy.

245309[/snapback]

That wasn't Joe, that was John (Kerry) you are thinking of. :big:

245310[/snapback]

No, he was the flip-flopper... :big:

Wishy-washy was Clinton. Even Gary Trudeau called him "the Waffle."

Just shows how completely out of touch the far Left is. Traitor ? How could anyone possibly explain that one ? They can't, they know it. They're just acting like children because they know they won't win at the ballot box.

Just shows how completely out of touch the far Left is.  Traitor ? How could anyone possibly explain that one ? They can't, they know it. They're just acting like children because they know they won't win at the ballot box.

245377[/snapback]

First of all, it's one guy with a sign. But, it may be because he has said he will run against the Democrat if he loses the primary. Remember "sore loserman"? If he loses the primary and runs as a third party candidate, he may hand it to the Republican who otherwise wouldn't win there.

He irritated folks in 2000 when he insisted on running for his Senate seat and the VP slot. If he had become the VP, the then Republican governor would have appointed a Republican to the seat. By running in both elections he protected himself at the expense of the party. He's doing it again. It's all about Joe. If he's a Dem, then run as a Dem and make the case for why the Dem voters should re-elect him. He's being a coward. He's a weasel and he's making it obvious.

Tex, (not trying to argue) didn't Kerry do the same thing? He didn't step aside as Senator in a state with a Republican Gov. while running for President?

I guess the difference was Kerry's seat wasn't up for reelection during the 2004 campaign?

Tex, (not trying to argue) didn't Kerry do the same thing?  He didn't step aside as Senator in a state with a Republican Gov. while running for President?

I guess the difference was Kerry's seat wasn't up for reelection during the 2004 campaign?

245404[/snapback]

I don't think Kerry's seat was up. Edwards was, and he stepped aside.

Joementum made a bit of an ass of himself in 2004 primary. After coming in 5th in NH he gave a "victory speech". It was one of the worst attempts at spin I've seen.

Archived