My son...

Guest Tigrinum Major

Guest Tigrinum Major

My son played in his last Little league game tonight. It was the final game of the pool play for the 12 and under Cal Ripken Baseball state tournament, held right here in our fine city of Oneonta. It wasn't a good tournament for him, teamwise or individually. The team was 0-3 coming into tonight's game and he was 0-2 with two strikeouts in two plate appearances. He did not get an at bat in one game and he has been bummed.

Our whole team was in a slump. The core of the team was made up of five players that have been pretty much together for the last five years, with two more that have been with us the past two years and five more sprinkled in from other teams from the regular league. The seven that have been together for the last two years have lost three games coming into this weekend, including two in the state tourney last year. They play great defense and have good pitching. It's been fun.

We lost our first game on Thursday by a wide margin and then were shut out, 4-0 and 2-0, in our next two games. The team as a whole has not hit the ball well at all. Errors have killed us.

My son did not start this last game, but entered in the top of the fourth with our team in a scoreless tie. His team proceeded to put three on the board in the bottom of the fourth. He was the leadoff batter for the 5th inning, and after watching a ball and a strike, ripped a shot between 3rd and short that was as pretty a hit as he's had in a while.

I knew it was his final at bat on the "little field", as we call it. He ended up scoring the 4th run of a 6-0 shutout in his last game. I don't know if he'll ever play high school ball or even 13-15 year old park ball next year. He isn't the biggest or the fastest, but he cares and he tries. I love him for that. It wasn't the end we wanted when we entered the weekend, but I'll take it. Four team will vie for the state title tomorrow, but I wouldn't trade that last hit and the smile on his face when he got back to the dugout for anything.

For those of you with kids, hug them on Sunday morning. Cherish those memories. Be there for them. I have missed too many events in the past 12 years and I regret it everyday.

For those of you without kids, you don't know what you're missing.

Sorry to hear about the ending of the "little field" play, but you and your son will always be able to remember that last hit at least. Just keep his spirits up for the next week. After that, he will be all into the joys of summer anyway...

If that is the greatest disappointment of his life, he will die a lucky old man. I know that knowing you are so proud of him will mean more one day than making the tournament. You're a good daddy, TM.

My son played in his last Little league game tonight.  It was the final game of the pool play for the 12 and under Cal Ripken Baseball state tournament, held right here in our fine city of Oneonta.  It wasn't a good tournament for him, teamwise or individually.  The team was 0-3 coming into tonight's game and he was 0-2 with two strikeouts in two plate appearances.  He did not get an at bat in one game and he has been bummed. 

Our whole team was in a slump.  The core of the team was made up of five players that have been pretty much together for the last five years, with two more that have been with us the past two years and five more sprinkled in from other teams from the regular league.  The seven that have been together for the last two years have lost three games coming into this weekend, including two in the state tourney last year.  They play great defense and have good pitching.  It's been fun. 

We lost our first game on Thursday by a wide margin and then were shut out, 4-0 and 2-0, in our next two games.  The team as a whole has not hit the ball well at all.  Errors have killed us. 

My son did not start this last game, but entered in the top of the fourth with our team in a scoreless tie.  His team proceeded to put three on the board in the bottom of the fourth.  He was the leadoff batter for the 5th inning, and after watching a ball and a strike, ripped a shot between 3rd and short that was as pretty a hit as he's had in a while. 

I knew it was his final at bat on the "little field", as we call it.  He ended up scoring the  4th run of a 6-0 shutout in his last game.  I don't know if he'll ever play high school ball or even 13-15 year old park ball next year.  He isn't the biggest or the fastest, but he cares and he tries.  I love him for that.  It wasn't the end we wanted when we entered the weekend, but I'll take it.  Four team will vie for the state title tomorrow, but I wouldn't trade that last hit and the smile on his face when he got back to the dugout for anything.

For those of you with kids, hug them on Sunday morning.  Cherish those memories.  Be there for them.  I have missed too many events in the past 12 years and I regret it everyday. 

For those of you without kids, you don't know what you're missing.

246050[/snapback]

It seems like 3/4 of the kids who play LL don't continue on when they reach 13. My oldest played LL last year and was in the same situation as your kid, not All Star caliber but just loves playing the game. He played this year in a PONY league which has an 80-ft field -- sort of a transition between the 60-ft LL and the 90-ft field. He loves it. If your kid loves playing, steer him toward the next level. Heart & desire count far more than raw skills. :thumbsup:

Archived