Important Pet Info

autiger518

Since we are on the topic of pets (ala pet picture thread) I thought I would bring an important F.Y.I. up to everyone.

Please note that if you have animals specifically cats on Science Diet I would highly recommend changing foods at least for the time being. If you dont know Menu Foods http://www.menufoods.com/recall/index.html recently recalled a bunch of wet food products from the market they contained a source of Wheat Gluetin that was tainted and was killing cats specifically putting them into Kidney Failure. My wife and I have 3 cats so naturally we were concerned however, we have always given our cats dry food (Science Diet Light , Hairball Control) and we were being told dont worry its only the wet foods.

Well on Thursday of last week we took our 5 yr old cat into the Vet because he seemed lethargic and lost weight (rapidly), come to find out he had lost 5 pounds (15 pound cat = 33% of his body weight = not good) and he was in Kidney failure. Levels off the charts, hes been in the hospital since (seemingly getting better) then we get back from a trip over to the Tampa this weekend and our other cat (9yrs old) looks like hes drunk and nonresponsive so we rush him over and he has a temperature and liver problems.

Anyways I find it highly suspect that 2 cats that have never been sick and never go outside could suddenly get rapidly sick and at the same time. I will be contacting Science Diet but I just wanted to put this out as a warning to all of you who use Hills Products to maybe consider switching for now until this problem is fixed.

By the way just heard from the vet and both cats seem to be doing better (my wallet isnt) hopefully we will be able to take them both home today.

sorry to hear this 518. Keep us posted and thanks for sharing this. I had forgotten about it and really thought it had been posted in the ATC forum already. Good info..

• 2 months later...

Update:

Unfortunately the cat (Snickers) with the Kidney problems had to be put down last week. He lasted another 2 months but his numbers kept going up and down and finally they stayed high and he began to lose more weight. It was a tough decision for us, he was only 5 years old, but he had basically turned into a shell of a cat not the cat we had raised.

Sorry to hear that, Brian. How'd the 9-year old turn out?

I am sorry for your loss even though I think you know my feelings concerning cats and where they belong.(under the tire of an automobile)

Sorry to hear that, Brian. How'd the 9-year old turn out?

Thanks bud...Tiger (the 9 yr old) is perfectly fine

I am sorry for your loss even though I think you know my feelings concerning cats and where they belong.(under the tire of an automobile)

Including Aubie...WTF?

Sorry to hear about that Brian. We had to have our 11 year old dog put to sleep for somewhat the same reasons about 3 months ago, so I know how tough it can be.

• 4 weeks later...

Last picture of Snickers the weekend before he was put to sleep.

RIP Buddy (2001-2007)

snickers-1.jpg

Archived