History of outside influences on past problems with the ncaa

tigertheeagle

I have been an Auburn fan for over 40 years so I have lived through good times and bad.  I would love to hear a historical perspective of the times we have been on probation and what other schools had a hand in helping turn us in or set us up.  Someone like PM would be a great source of information.

The worst one, in my opinion was Eric Ramsey. He was helped out by Pat Dye and he turned around and shafted Coach for his trouble.

Guest jojo1515

The worst one, in my opinion was Eric Ramsey. He was helped out by Pat Dye and he turned around and shafted Coach for his trouble.

yeah, we went on probation for a coach helping a player through tough times with a small loan.  As Cam said, when God be blessin, the devil be messin

Well the first time was 1957 and 1958, when the beloved, and new NCAA decided to put all the ag schools on probation.  Schools involved based on reading, family memories, etc: alabama, georgia, may be tech but not sure about this one and a few others.  This is not confirmed by any stretch of the imagination.  May be some others can elaborate.

Again, we went on probation in the late '70's, early '80's.  Not sure who all or what all was involved but all my elders said alabama was the leading candidate back then. 

Third time was definitely alabama and thre rec all the way.  Plain and simple. This was in '91 to '92, probation started probation in '93.

They always say we have 5 probations but really it was 3 to 4 (due to being different sports at one time).  The first time was counted as two but should have been one because they came back the next year and added on to the first one.

Just my two cents to get things started.  I'm sure there are several others out there that know more than me.

In the days of the Bare, Bammer could do whatever they wanted (Cars, Cash, etc.), but If Auburn offered a cheese sandwich (PROBATION)... Dye knew all of Alabama's  and bears secrets (long time BAMMER assistant).  As he said, he knew where the skeletons were buried.

ER had a lot of Alabama support and a pro bono attorney (paid by the REC) in Donald Watkins (he is very very rich)... Donald represented Twilitta Ramsey (ER's Wife) in a suit agains Wallyworld.....  They hatched a plan... 

Auburn always felt that Alabama was behind this...  It was then widely felt that Auburn provided information to get Alabammer on probation (Gene Jelks, Langham) on probation..  Since then Alabama has been on probation 3 more times (4 in 14)....

We then entered into a period of cold war (neither turns in the other)

All I can tell Alabama fans, is that if this recent thing did come from TTown, then some in the Auburn Family who have the necessary resources MAY decide enough is enough..  In other words, if Bama pushed the button, Auburn may push the button in return.

I can't remember the exact dollar amount but it was like $1,378 or something like that.  My dad took me by the payphone er used (per his wifey's request).  Its amazing Blakeney couldn't tell something just wasn't right w/ the calls.

That "cheating" was such small potatoes in what goes on ALL around the college football world that it almost seems unreal that AU was slammed for that case..

I can't remember the exact dollar amount but it was like $1,378 or something like that.  My dad took me by the payphone er used (per his wifey's request).  Its amazing Blakeney couldn't tell something just wasn't right w/ the calls.

"Ramsey's most specific allegations centered on Auburn booster Bill "Corky" Frost. Ramsey alleged that Frost had made at least two of Ramsey's monthly car payments and given him steaks to help him gain weight. He also claimed Young had paid him $300 per month. The most damaging allegation, however, was pointed at Auburn coach and athletic director, Pat Dye, who he claimed had helped him receive an unsecured loan for over $9,000 in April 1990."

That "cheating" was such small potatoes in what goes on ALL around the college football world that it almost seems unreal that AU was slammed for that case..

Especially when it came out that he was begging for the money...he needed it for his family.

Especially when it came out that he was begging for the money...he needed it for his family.

yep.

Ex Brimingham Mayor Richard Arrington was involved also because Auburn took the Iron Bowl out of Birmingham.  It cost the city of Birmingham millions.  He did not like it and swore to get them.  The story was that Arrington and Watson, who was also an attorney for the city, paid ER to wear a wire when he talked to the Auburn coaches and others.  He begged for help and trapped them into talking about "extra benefits".

I'm sure nobody keeps up with the douche. But I do wonder what a fine outstanding citizen does after said scandal fades into the night. Anyone know what he's up to lately? My guess is he doesn't take in many(as in any) Auburn football games.

yep.

No good deed goes unpunished.

Ok, I want another old timer to refresh my memory. We were on probation in 1979 and 1980. We had a fine team in 1979, went 8 - 3. It was Barfield's best team yet could not go to a bowl game because of probation. What was that probation about. I do remember that bammer was involved because one or two of their players were interviewed.

I wish I had more time.  For a history lesson read the book SHUG.  Also, Auburn Man: The Life and Times of George Petrie.  Also, look up Don Fuell.  You probably can google the name and find the story.  This crap has been going on for a long, long time.

Archived