CBS stands by the Bush Guard records story

CShine

Here's an honest question to the Kerry folks around here.

If it indeed turns out that these documents are forgeries and were fed to CBS by the DNC or the Kerry camaign as has been reported by the American Spectator and others, will your support for Kerry still be as strong?

It was a very, very weak argument, they only barely touched on one of the numerous points raised about the documents themselves. And the signatures, the only real thing they spent any time on, how easy are those to scan into a computer, and the place on the bottom of a Word document? From all I have read just about the documents, not even taking into account the other issues related to these documents that make no sense, I am convinced these were not typed by COL Killian.

BAD MOVE, CBS [09/10 06:59 PM]

This was a weak defense. It clearly picked one or two areas where CBS thought they could muddy the waters, and ignored the other points.

Nothing about kerning. Nothing about the paper size. Nothing about the stationary. Nothing about the widow or the son. Nothing about proportional spacing. Nothing about the difference in tone and writing style from other memos by this author. Nothing about the anachronistic language.

They changed the story from coming from his personal files, to admitting that CBS only had a photocopy to work from. The said some typewriters had superscript. Yes, but how common were they? Would they have one of those typewriters in an Air National Guard office?

They said the font Times Roman had been around for many years before the memo. Yes, but could you do it on a typewriter?

Rather said a lot about the criticism of the story is coming from “partisan political operatives.” Like all the forensic experts cited by ABC News and the Washington Post?

Marcel Matley, the expert who CBS cited, seemed to be a lot more focused on the signature (that others have said doesn’t match other documents) than the points cited by others.

Moore, the author who had written two books critical of Bush, said the fact that the White House has not called the documents fake is probably because they know they are true.

Also, oddly, Rather sounded very hoarse.

I'm shaking my head right now. Of all the ways to make a defense, this was about the weakest.

Kerry Spot

Here's an honest question to the Kerry folks around here.

If it indeed turns out that these documents are forgeries and were fed to CBS by the DNC or the Kerry camaign as has been reported by the American Spectator and others, will your support for Kerry still be as strong?

If any hard evidence came out proving this, I am not so sure there would be a Kerry candidate to support. I wonder what the Democratic Party and State election policies are for changing a candidate out at the last minute...

I am totally shocked by the CBS reaction to this.

I feel they are doing one or a combo of these several things:

1) Keep the original story out there to influence stoopid people in the electorate.

2) Admit errors after Friday and Before Monday AM where the damage will be minimized by limited News cycle on a weekend.

3) Tell everyone Monday AM that this is "old news."

4) Desperately trying to ride this out because the damage may already be done and what do they have to lose?

5) Trying to buy time till they can figure out how to respond.

All these are from watching Begala, Carville, et al for 8 years. This is what they do, BTW.

I think they are setting themselves and others up for a huge fall. The DU crowd seem to agree with me on this too. Except for those now trying to hallucinate a top end typewriter at Killian's home or TANG base, this is becoming more and more damaging to Kerry and the Dems.

But what dop they have left to lose if these docs are false? Likely Nothing.

what i find interesting about all this is the fact came up that when the possibility that the documents were forgeries, it was pretty much accepted that that could be a real possibility. it wasn't out of the realm of possibilities, even to kerry faithfuls.

that's quite a statement about politics, and CBS, IMO.

ct

Archived