Motel lets man check in, but won't let him leave

TitanTiger

California Traveler Gets Stuck In Thayer, Missouri in Odd Property Dispute

Posted September 2, 2004--6:50 p.m. CDT

THAYER, MO - Gary Schroeder was traveling through Thayer, Missouri when he decided to check into the Tally Ho Motel last Thursday. Little did he know he wouldn't be checking out anytime soon.

The air conditioner on Schroeder's camper caught the awning of the motel which caused some damage. "Where I come from if you have an accident you exchange insurance information," said Schroeder. 

Motel owner Robert Crase didn't have any insurance, so he made his own insurance by blocking in Schreoder's truck and camper with a tractor. "He's traveling through here and if I cut him lose I don't think I'll ever get paid for the damage," said Crase.

Schroeder said his insurance company offered to pay $10,000 for the damages, but Crase wanted $24,000. Crase also kicked Schroeder off the property, meaning everything he owned sat in front of the motel including his wife's cremated remains that he was taking to her hometown in New Jersey. Since Schroeder couldn't get his camper from the motel, he camped out on the front lawn of St. Peter United Methodist Church, which is across the street from Crase's motel. That way he was able to watch his belongings. Schroeder said the Thayer community has been very supportive. 

Thayer mayor, Allen Deckard, even offered to help Schroeder. Deckard contacted everyone from the prosecuting attorney to state legislators, but everyone he contacted said they couldn't help because it was a civil matter. "This is a joke as far as I'm concerned. I mean you won't believe how many people have been up here at this church to bring him food. He's desperate," said Mayor Deckard.

On Thurday, after the motel owner left the grounds, Schroeder decided to free his truck with a chainsaw. He's back on the road after being stuck in Thayer for a week. 

http://www.kait8.com/Global/story.asp?s=2253847

What an idiot. Couldn't he have simply made a photocopy of the guy's driver's license, taken down his tag number, and perhaps taken some pictures of the driver, the damage, and his vehicle then dealt with the insurance company? I wouldn't be surprised if the driver ends up suing this guy for illegally holding his property and it ends up costing him way more than any shortfall in the insurance money would have.

And secondly...what idiot motel owner doesn't have insurance on the place? Isn't he begging to have his business go right down the tubes if anything happened? Arkansas has tornadoes and I doubt the place is fireproof.

$24k for an awning?

Operating a hotel without insurance? You can't legally do that, can you?

And isn't there a law against holding someone against their will or something?

It's the Bush administrations fault that the owner does not have insurance.

There are many places and people in the US who do not carry insurance and never have. I imagine the place was not all that ritzy and a lawsuit would gain nothing anyway. People who have less to lose live life the same way.

There are many places and people in the US who do not carry insurance and never have. I imagine the place was not all that ritzy and a lawsuit would gain nothing anyway. People who have less to lose live life the same way.

:roll:

Wrong forum

:roll:

Wrong forum

Sue me!

I had to qualify the event for those who don't recognize that MANY people do not choose insurance.

Archived